Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Recocking Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnotherGreek10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Recocking Issue
    Posted: 15 May 2007 at 12:01pm
Ok so check it out.  If you look at my sig. you'll see what my gun currently has. 

I installed my LPK & Evil Regulator yesterday as well as polished the internals.  Assembled the gun and everything seemed alright.  Until I realized that after I manually cocked the gun and shot it I could only get one shot off and than had to re-cock it again manually.  It's almost as if the spring isn't pushing it far back enough to cock the gun. 

Any tips or should I just call Tippmann or bring it to a shop?

Edited by AnotherGreek10 - 19 May 2007 at 9:58am
- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Barrel Mounted Laser Sight
- Remote Line
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 9:57am
What pressure is your regulator running at it could be really low.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 9:57am
Well here's the thing.  I don't know what pressure the regulator is running at because i don't have a gauge on it.  =\ I don't think there's room on the evil regulator for it. 

The problem though started happening one day after I took the gun apart to get familiar with the pieces and put it back together and ever since than i can never get it to shoot 2 shots in a row.  I was pretty sure I reassembled it properly.  I had the schematics and everything very organized while doing it and I cant understand why it was happening I figured maybe I must have reassembled it wrong.  So the next time I took it apart I figured... what the heck.  Since i have it open I might as well polish the internals and install my LPK & regulator.  Everything worked well.  Except I could only get one shot off.  I still had to re-cock it manually whenever I needed to shoot again.  So its now a PUMP ACTION A-5 hahahahaaha. 
- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Remote Line
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 11:07pm
I'm thinking your regulator is really far down. I would suggest turning it up. Don't worry about going too high in pressure because it can handle it.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:06am

Originally posted by AnotherGreek10 AnotherGreek10 wrote:

So its now a PUMP ACTION A-5 hahahahaaha. 

Look on the bright side, no more Cyclone chopping.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 10:20pm
why would you want to reg. down that gun/set-up?
Sent from a phone booth
infamoussmiley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infamoussmiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 4:48pm

Are you using hoppes 9 oil?  I've had this problem in my rentals where we were not using hoppes 9.  we were using either dow 32 greaseor the gold cup or what ever pmi sells.  that stuff was too thick. 

Also, change all of your o-rings. 

Smiley

my email: doc55smiley@gmail.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

why would you want to reg. down that gun/set-up?

Thats a good question.  I'm new to owning a marker but not the sport.  After using the A-5 marker I read about the low pressure kit and liked the way the upgrade sounded so when i bought it i also read that it required a regulator.  I guess it was more experimental than anything.  Stupid I guess =\  Anyway.  I brought it to a shop for them to look at.  It turns out that i oiled it wrong. They had to do a complete relube job on it.  I'm glad i brought it as soon as i did. I might have damaged parts but they told me I didn't damage anything cuz used lube that was safe for the plastic parts. Unfortunately it was still the wrong stuff and it still needed to be redone. I'm getting it back tomorrow and there gunna give me the updates on why it wasn't recocking but from the looks of it I'm pretty sure it was the poor oiling/lube job i performed.  It was def a learning experience.  I'm glad it didn't cost me much.
- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Remote Line

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Nagash1959 Nagash1959 wrote:

Originally posted by AnotherGreek10 AnotherGreek10 wrote:

So its now a PUMP ACTION A-5 hahahahaaha. 

Look on the bright side, no more Cyclone chopping.

I have to say my cyclone hasn't chopped once .. watch now that i said that im screwed lol
- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Remote Line
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:26am

I must have missed the LPK in your sig.  That's why you'd reg. it down.

Did they explain how you oiled it wrong?  I'm interested in this one.

Sent from a phone booth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

I must have missed the LPK in your sig.  That's why you'd reg. it down.

Did they explain how you oiled it wrong?  I'm interested in this one.

It's gunna be ready today but I'm not picking it up till tomorrow.  I'll ask them and post exactly what they say.
- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Remote Line
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 5:49pm
I fail to see how you can oil it wrong. A Tippmann should easily be able to work without oil. Just the o-rings would need a little oil every once in awhile so they don't get torn up.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:30pm
Yeah I thought the same thing.  Tippmanns are hard to oil wrong.  I think you could dunk them in an oil tank, cycle it 200 times and go out and play
Sent from a phone booth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:21pm
It must have been the type of oil that I using.  Bad bad bad.
I used a silicon based grease good for plastic and metal. 
Wrong wrong wrong.   I know.  I should of used gun oil. 
They said when I gave it to them they could smell the chemicals off the gun. 

Still didn't get it back btw.  I don't think the shop I gave it to knows what there doing and I'm getting a little annoyed at the amount of time they've had my gun for.  When I get it back with some feedback I'll post the answer to the problem. 
- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Remote Line

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:24pm
They also asked why I put regulator & low pressure kit on a tippmann. They said I was better off with the stock parts and not using after market upgrades.  They said the A-5 is a high pressure gun and doesn't need to have any type of air regulation or low pressure kit. At most you'll be lowering the pressure from 800 psi to 600 psi with the Reg & LPK so at most your just getting more shots per tank.

Just buy a bigger tank haha.

I was a little upset to hear this all after i just spend money on a LPK and regulator.

Edited by AnotherGreek10 - 06 June 2007 at 1:15pm
- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Remote Line
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:53pm
There definately can be benefits with dropping the pressure some.  Just don't get caught up in seeing how low you can drop the pressure.  I reg. down my rt'd 98 just about 100 psi and it runs pretty good.
Sent from a phone booth
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:42pm
I can see why they said that about the LPK and reg. They probably said that because you could invest your money in a better gun. If you like your A5 and want the most out of it, a lpk is good. One of my friends has an lpk and said it was a waste of money though. Nothing big in performance. Sound was still big, about the same recoil.

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 3:40pm
It sounds like it was a backwards ball detent, or the reg down too much, but I dont know

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherGreek10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 1:19pm
Ok I removed the LPK & reg because the weren't official tippmann parts and the techs said that they weren't working because of that. I believed them.

2nd I oiled it all wrong they said and they showed me how I should be oiling.

3rd the techs said that the double trigger I installed was an aftermarket part as well and that was causing the recocking problem. I installed the single trigger and its working great again.
Finally all this is over.

- Tippmann A-5
- J&J 14" Ceramic
- Polished Internals
- Lightening Rod Mod
- Vortex Mod & QEPH
- X7 Low Pro Hopper
- Remote Line
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic