FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For Beginning Guitarists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For Beginning Guitarists
    Posted: 11 May 2007 at 8:14am

Since there seem to be a ton of people on the forum that either just recently started or want to start playing guitar, and since I'm incredibly bored, I thought I'd post some gear. I was browsing around Musician's Friend's website and came across some great deals if you're looking for really good quality, cheap setup-

Epiphone Les Paul Studio -$299

I actually played one of these in store, not bad at all. And for about $250 with tax, you're getting a real Epi LP for a great price.

Gibson Melody Maker $349

This one is for brand purists alone-but if you're a beginner in the market for a new guitar, and you just have to have a Gibson, here you go. It's a real gibson, so you're getting great craftsmanship, but without the finish and refinement of the LP's. I'd pick up the Epiphones myself, but I know alot of people that practically wet themselves when they see a Gibson logo, but can't afford one, so if you're one of those pervs-this is really the most affordable way to own a Gibson.

Ibanez RG2EX1 $299

I can't I've been passing up Ibanez's all these years-I played several sub-$500 models and they blew me away. The pickups are EMG passives, so you're getting excellent low end crunch and deep, full high end tone. Plus it has by far the best playing neck on this list-far easier to learn on than the more traditional low-quality beginner models out there. Most people pass Ibanez off as a cheap, low rate metal axe, but I couldn't disagree more. It won't play blues worth crap, but anything else from Jazz to Rock, this guitar really shines.

Marshall MG10CD $80

To me, this is the essential beginner amp. You've got marshall quality, two channels, a headphone jack, and a $75 price tag.

TEH MICROSTACK!!! $299

I just ran across one these things a couple of days ago, and I was pretty impressed. A head and two 10" speakers for $299.00-and it does a decent job of emulating it's more expensive brothers. Seriously-check it out. It's a little pricey for a beginner amp, but it gives you the volume to play with a drummer and a bassist, and it actually sounds really good for a solid state amp.

An LP and Marshall "stack" for about $550-a couple hundred more than a decent beginner "pack".

Edited by stratoaxe - 11 May 2007 at 8:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic