FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toilet Paper and other idiocy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 4:33pm
Purpose of the exercise...get them the think , express, maybe see something or view an opinion they may have missed out on. It takes two to debate, if there were no opposition the fun would be?
ANARCHY_SCOUT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 1/24 rudeness to newer members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANARCHY_SCOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 5:11pm
Totally off topic but, OS actually keeps this forum on their feet. While yes I disagree some topics that he brings up at least we have something to talk about other than the latest flash game.
/rant

Back on the topic at "hand"  I use at least 5 pieces every sitting. I will actually look into getting a bidet. just seems more refreshing.
Gamertag: Kataklysm999
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by c4cypher c4cypher wrote:

And boy ... does it get some people up in a lather, whether they'll admit it or not.

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

It seems to me like he's up to something. By getting us to respond, especially with posts that don't mean anything, he's already won.

Depends on what the competition is for ... heck, I can see only two reasons for coming to this forum, entertainment and information. I come here for both. If you ask me ... somone has only won somthing if you agree to play with them and they 'win' at it. I can't speak for OS over whether he finds this entertaining or not. I'm not even sure why I allowed myself to get drawn into it beyond the fact that the tone in here was turning nasty, over an environmental debate.

I'm not attacking you personally Tolgak, I was just hoping we could tone things down and keep it in perspective.

I understand what you're saying.

But OS, every single thread you post attacks the left like it's destructive to society or something. Sure, that may be your opinion, but we all get it. You're a conservative. You don't need to speak in an offensive matter to get a good debate going.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 5:36pm
I'm going to use a lot of toliet paper from now to on to destroy everyone's children's futures.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 5:52pm
The higher majority of the posts here attack the current administration, the people within that administration, and the ideals of that administration. Myself and a few others are the counter, the balance, and the information presented can be used and or ignored as required.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 5:53pm

I'm sure the Farkers here have already seen this, but I can't help myself.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

I'm sure the Farkers here have already seen this, but I can't help myself.

kinda reminds me of a letter to the editor in my paper a few weeks ago which attacked the comic "non sequitur" and its anti-creationism themes.  the writer of the letter defended creationism as cold hard fact, with evidence and evolution as a belief system with no evidence to back it up.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:24pm
Out of curiosity, anyone else a wasteful TP'er?  I know I probably use way more of the stuff than I should, but I just like the extra cushion/barrier.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:31pm
I use WAY more tp than is necessary.  I am a very inefficient and wasteful tp-er.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:33pm
I will admit, I am too.....

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:44pm
Bidets are nice. But I doubt that our society in the US/Canada will readily accept them as most people don't even use the glorified baby-wipes they came out with several years ago to use in conjunction with TP. Those suckers leave you feeling good.

As for Tolgak's question on OS's age:

That was from the '02 Anne Arrundal game.... 5 years ago.

As to the question of greenhouse gases. I often wonder about the effects of our (US/Canada/Western Europe) polluting habits versus the effects of the industrial revolution when there were no pollution controls.

Also, I understand the need to cut back on emissions, but the world always seems so focused on the US and our emissions when China and Russia as well as most of the former soviet republics are far worse industrial polluters than we are even without as much traffic density.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:47pm
I <3'd those baby wipes thingies. I went overboard with them too. 
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:48pm
Can ya flush 'em?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:51pm
yep!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

As to the question of greenhouse gases. I often wonder about the effects of our (US/Canada/Western Europe) polluting habits versus the effects of the industrial revolution when there were no pollution controls.

That's a relatively easy question, actually.  NONE of the pollution controls currently in effect have anything to do with CO2, which is by far the biggest emitted greenhouse gas.  So basically a coal plant today emits the same amount of CO2 as an equivalent coal plant 150 years ago, give or take.

Where we have made vast strides is in the regulation and limitation of many other pollutants, mostly particulate.  Mercury is the target of much current effort, and some strides are being made there as well.  The blackened windows in old London (and current Beijing) are primarily the result of fly ash particles coming out the smokestack.  Coal plants in the US and Europe now have significant fly ash controls in place.

Our cars and power plants are cleaner now than before with regard to many pollutants, but have not changed with regard to many others.

And there is my biggest beef with anti-environmentalists - they whine and moan every time a new change is proposed, but a decade or two later they can barely imagine going back to the way it was.  Are you happy that you don't have to dust the ash off your car before going for a ride?  Thank an environmentalist.  Happy that you can now fish in those rivers and lakes again, that just 20 years ago were covered in algae?  Thank an environmentalist.

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Out of curiosity, anyone else a wasteful TP'er?  I know I probably use way more of the stuff than I should, but I just like the extra cushion/barrier.

I thought I used a lot. I came back to my dorm from class today to find that my roommate used 1/2 the roll in the hour that I was gone.

I use about 12 sheets per #2 session. As a barrier and to be thorough.

In public restrooms with crappy paper, however, I take no chances.

As for Tolgak's question on OS's age:

That was from the '02 Anne Arrundal game.... 5 years ago.

Dude, I known since I first heard about him that he's one of the oldest members of this forum. That doesn't mean he doesn't take classes. He mentioned it in a couple of threads a few months ago. I never asked his age.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:02pm
Growing up in "The Chemical Valley", I can say that there have been huge strides made in "scrubbers" that effectively remove Greenhouse gases from the stacks of most chemical and energy plants. While CO2 currently still bypasses the systems, SO2 and many other greenhouse gases have been removed or reduced due to the systems in place. That is why I wonder what the difference between greenhouse emissions from the IR to today are. While CO2 would still be approximately the same, if not more due to the traffic density of N. America and E. Europe, the other greenhouse pollutants have been reduced by using scrubbers, catalytic converters, and even fractioning systems.

Back on subject, however, I highly doubt Toilet Paper ranks high on the list of things we need to worry about at the moment. I had a serious problem with The USSR and Red China during the cold war. Now, for different reasons, I still have serious issues. I think I actually dislike them more NOW than I did when it was just political.

Oh, and Clark, I'm reading a book called "Consumed". It's about how Consumerism has affected the US and Global values systems as well as the economies and structure of daily life. I'll write up a review when I'm done. Pretty good so far. Reads like an interesting lecture. John De Graaf, creator of the PBS Series and Author of "Affluenza, the all-consuming epidemic" gave it high marks. That's why I picked it up.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:09pm

Growing up in "The Chemical Valley", I can say that there have been huge strides made in "scrubbers" that effectively remove Greenhouse gases from the stacks of most chemical and energy plants. While CO2 currently still bypasses the systems, SO2 and many other greenhouse gases have been removed or reduced due to the systems in place. That is why I wonder what the difference between greenhouse emissions from the IR to today are.

Ah, yes.  Of course, those other gases were regulated for reasons unrelated to greenhousedness... :)

I know that SO2 is a pretty serious culprit, and we have done a good job of limiting that one, but my understanding is that CO2 is far and away the overwhelming leader in man-made greenhouse emissions, regardless of local regulation from time to time, simply due to relative volume.

Edited by Clark Kent - 23 April 2007 at 7:48pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:34pm
Meh, We will all be dead when the world ends anyway.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:45pm
That's true...the Mayans only give existance another five years, so screw conservation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic