FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very Interesting Article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Interesting Article
    Posted: 18 March 2007 at 11:20am

Article on global warming.

This is alot deeper of a read than I was expecting. Doesn't really dig much into global warming, but the mass panic that it's causing. I'll be going into some of the better quotes, but if you've got the time, and you care, all six pages are great.

Originally posted by The Age The Age wrote:

Either way, the debate over climate change is now about fear. How afraid should we be? It's a valid question, because a sensible reaction to any threat begins with fear. Fear can help propel us towards solutions, as it did in the case of ozone-depleting CFCs. But we don't want to respond to a threat with asymmetric alarm.

Unfortunately, allowing the old threat of nuclear war to haunt our anxiety about climate change is not going to help, for the simple reason that the nuclear holocaust never happened. This happy fact tends to foster a blithe optimism about the past: look nuclear doomsday was a beat-up! This is false logic, of course. The fact that we survived the nuclear threat doesn't mean it was always inevitable that we would. But people believe it, nonetheless, and you can see why they'd want to.

Originally posted by The Age The Age wrote:

TO COMPARE the threat of climate change with the threat of nuclear war is to make a category error. The nuclear threat was unique. We never formed a proportionate fear response to nuclear weapons, because no level of fear was equal to the sickening intensity of the threat. This is the second reason why our reaction to the Bomb shouldn't guide us on our climate change anxiety: fear didn't get us anywhere.

And my favorite quote from the whole thing...

Originally posted by The New Age The New Age wrote:

My wife's admission struck me as a dereliction of her duty to fear.

That's an incredibly deep thought-a dereliction to the duty of fear. Awesome writing...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic