Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do i check the velocity on a 98

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bozer123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bozer123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do i check the velocity on a 98
    Posted: 17 March 2007 at 2:32pm
I havent messed with it at all but it seems that my velocity is too high. is there anyway that i can check it and if so what should i have it at?
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 3:20pm

Originally posted by Bozer123 Bozer123 wrote:

I havent messed with it at all but it seems that my velocity is too high. is there anyway that i can check it and if so what should i have it at?

There is no way without a chronograph. You can buy a held held, such as a Radar X for about the cost of a couple of cases of paint.

A marker set with velocity 350 fps and greater will damage bare skin or skin protected by only a single layer of cloth. The velocity is such that paint is injected into the surface layer of skin and leaves a scar.

Paintball battle scars just don' cut it...particularly hits on the throat...when it is just a game. So take the care, effort and responsibility to make sure your marker shoots no hotter than 300 fps.

BTW, most paint and many barrels produce best performance and accuracy at between 250 and 300 fps.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 17 March 2007 at 3:21pm
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 3:33pm

Most outdoor fields limit the velocity to 300 FPS (including most if not all  "Renegade" fields ) , a lot set limits at 280....

Most indoor arenas have a limit around 250-260 FPS .

As Bruce said , the ONLY way to set your velocity is to use a chronograph .

I took a bunch of guys I work with (and their friends) out to a local field where a scenario team usually practices at on sundays this last weekend . The local team had an event that day and nobody else but us and a few walk-ons showed up . Everybody chrono'd up before any games were played , and we chrono'd again at mid morning . I banned one marker for shooting hot (actually made him chrono before every game because he kept fiddling with his dwell settings ). He was shooting at 360 . I gave him an option , use another marker , or chrono within limits every game . It's Madd fun to play paintball , but not enough to run the risk of hurting someone because of irresponsible actions .

Edited by Shadowminion - 17 March 2007 at 3:34pm
SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Originally posted by Bozer123 Bozer123 wrote:

There is no way without a chronograph. You can buy a held held, such as a Radar X for about the cost of a couple of cases of paint.

A marker set with velocity 350 fps and greater will damage bare skin or skin protected by only a single layer of cloth. The velocity is such that paint is injected into the surface layer of skin and leaves a scar.

Paintball battle scars just don' cut it...particularly hits on the throat...when it is just a game. So take the care, effort and responsibility to make sure your marker shoots no hotter than 300 fps.

BTW, most paint and many barrels produce best performance and accuracy at between 250 and 300 fps.

Ghetto tattoo!

I accually have a scar or two on my leg from playing Renegade and I have a dent in my jaw from getting hit.

Black_Shadow View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Penguin-abuser from <heck> ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black_Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 2:21pm
yea, my elbow got cut up pretty bad last saturday since i was playing indoor and was playing in just a tshirt since it was like 25 degrees (celcius) in there...
98CP ACT
R/T
J&J Ceramic 14"
Egg II w Z-Board
GTA Inline X-Chamber
NCStar Red-Dot
Pen Spring Mod
Trigger Stops
Polished Internals
Dye Sticky Grip
20oz Co2 w On/Off

Next Up: Spimmy