FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MARINES!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2007 at 10:28pm
WHen I said I miss them, it was sarcasm, hence the dead face. Trust me.. hated them.

Often times when we had out M16's out and we made a DI mad, we would have to hold it out, elbows locked, hand holding the charging bolt back, like you said. But as soon as one recruit let his bolt slip, we'd have to do another minute. Sounds easy to the people who have never had to do that.

Or how about when cleaning rifles, we'd have the rifle on the footlocker, but we'd be doing wall sits WITHOUT the wall behind us.. really painful. And the whole time reciting prac. Prac is SOOO useless.. no one cares who Opha Mae Johnson is or when she joined. No one cares where Smedly Butler died. Oh well. It's done with.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 7:30am
hahaha. I will never forget that woman. I didnt get it right when the DI asked me, the date that is. I was screaming it all day long after that. That sucked big time.
I know about the elbows locked thing, that always sucked to we did that a lot. The wall thing sucks too. I dont remember half of those diddies we learn there anymore anyway so yuo are right they are useless.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 11:10am

I had a friend of mine get in deep with one of his DI's in boot. He was ordered to take out the trash or some such chore, and didn't get it finished quick enough, so he was ordered to climb to the top of the dumpster and jump off until the DI told him to stop.

He told him "No" and that under the guidelines of a recruit he was prohibited from damaging government property, and that since HE was government property, he could not risk it.

He had to run around the compound with a garbage can over his head for the rest of the day screaming I'm a -bird.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 16 March 2007 at 11:10am
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I had a friend of mine get in deep with one of his DI's in boot. He was ordered to take out the trash or some such chore, and didn't get it finished quick enough, so he was ordered to climb to the top of the dumpster and jump off until the DI told him to stop.

He told him "No" and that under the guidelines of a recruit he was prohibited from damaging government property, and that since HE was government property, he could not risk it.

He had to run around the compound with a garbage can over his head for the rest of the day screaming I'm a -bird.

Thats probably the funniest thing ive heard in a while.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 11:18am

He told him "No"

I'll take a stab in the dark here and guess that there are very, very few circumstances when this is a good idea.

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

He told him "No"

I'll take a stab in the dark here and guess that there are very, very few circumstances when this is a good idea.

My cousin lost a tooth from that

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 1:07pm
Wow... Crazy differences in instructional mentality between the U.S. military and the Canadian forces. We give our troops hell, but a lot of what you guys are saying is straight up abuse; there's no constructive value to it.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Wow... Crazy differences in instructional mentality between the U.S. military and the Canadian forces. We give our troops hell, but a lot of what you guys are saying is straight up abuse; there's no constructive value to it.

abuse? hahahaha. thats not abuse. if they still did what full metal jacket did maybe that would be abuse. but as for these stories they are more humorous to me than abuse.

as for saying no, I heard someone say no once, they DI stayed relatively calm, probably because the series commander was right there, the MP's showed up and arrested him. all he was ordered to do was practice a column right. somehow he didnt get dropped, graduated, and is now UA from my reserve unit getting an other than honorable discharge.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 2:01pm

hahaha, I could only imagine what the DI nicknamed him after that.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:25pm

From what I've heard, the other branches aren't even as bad as the corps as far as boot goes. I certainly never felt abused. I could probably think of a way to justify pretty much everything a DI ever did to anybody I saw, including some stuff I wouldn't even mention in a public place like this forum for fear of it being taken wrong. Not complying with a lawful order is a no-no under the UCMJ, I'd rather take pretty much whatever punishment a DI can think up rather than deal with the MP's, which is the alternative. The marines get away with a lot of crap compared with other branches, DI's can touch you to correct you, it's faster than explaining how to hold a rifle and developes muscle memory. You'll remember to keep you elbows tucked at port arms if you get smacked in the elbow every time it sticks out. on the other hand, 'correcting your position" can be interpreted to allow them pick you up and toss you on line if you dont get there on time. They have a longer boot, train females seperatly, and can touch recruits. It seems outdated, but it works, as well as builds a culture that resembles a fraternity with weapons.

On another note, garbage stories:

On qual day at the range, one relay in the pits kept getting yelled at to check their targets, the recruits running it were obviously retarded and couldn't see a bullet hole in a target to save their lives. Our DI gave on of the recruits a trashcan and made him carry it straight out in front of him while doing a duck walk up and down the catwalk collecting everybody's trash, and picking up anything blowing around. He made him scream "trash trash trash!" every step, to which the DI would respond by saying "No. It's  TRASH TRASH TRASH!" and punctuating every "trash" by beating on the can with a broken lollypop(2X4). Every recruit had to contribute to the can unless they wanted to trade places with him, and the DI occasionally encouraged recruits to drop their garbage so the kid would have to pick it up while holding the can.

Some retard also managed to lose his fireing pin and not tell the DI, so guess who had to jump into the dumpster and pull out every bag of garbage and go through every peice of trash in it, only to not find the pin? Hint: Not the DI

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 9:09pm
Oh.. i felt abused.. so did everyone in my platoon. I dont care what anyone says.. you DO get "corrected" in boot.

And sometimes thrown against the whiskey locker and arm barred and kicked....    

I was at right shoulder one time and the M16 wasnt tight to my shoulder... I learned after that.

Edited by Linus - 16 March 2007 at 9:16pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 9:24pm
Dammit Clark, you've created a monster.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Oh.. i felt abused.. so did everyone in my platoon. I dont care what anyone says.. you DO get "corrected" in boot.

I was at right shoulder one time and the M16 wasnt tight to my shoulder... I learned after that.
  My SDI seemed to do a pretty good job of making us think any physical contact was for our own good, and even asked if anybody had a probelm being touched, and those recruits(most figured it was a trap and said nothing) who said they had problem never got too jacked up. The rest of us got full out oldschool handling. I'd much rather get kicked in the chest than spend 45min on the quarter deck. Getting quarterdecked until you cant pass a PFTand get dropped is a lot worse than being sore for a day tops. I was picked up by the throat, tossed into stuff, hit in the face with: blue money and bible bag, M-16, hygene kit, moonbeam etc and sure it sucked, but aside from one nosebleed it wasn't anything that caused injury or pain for more than a few seconds.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:30pm
Yea i love how they played the punishments off as OUR fault and for OUR good. When we all had to suffer for one recruit.. well.. I dont need to explain it to the ones that have been there.
holysmartone View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike- language in posted image 6/9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holysmartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 4:18am

Yea i love how they played the punishments off as OUR fault and for OUR good. When we all had to suffer for one recruit.. well.. I dont need to explain it to the ones that have been there.

But that all really makes sense if you think about it. I know it sucked. Dont get me wrong there. But its all to teach the level of discipline we all have. Itll save your butt in combat.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 11:39am

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

My SDI seemed to do a pretty good job of making us think any physical contact was for our own good, and even asked if anybody had a probelm being touched, and those recruits(most figured it was a trap and said nothing) who said they had problem never got too jacked up. The rest of us got full out oldschool handling. I'd much rather get kicked in the chest than spend 45min on the quarter deck. Getting quarterdecked until you cant pass a PFTand get dropped is a lot worse than being sore for a day tops. I was picked up by the throat, tossed into stuff, hit in the face with: blue money and bible bag, M-16, hygene kit, moonbeam etc and sure it sucked, but aside from one nosebleed it wasn't anything that caused injury or pain for more than a few seconds.

That's bull. I have no problem correcting my recruits without hitting them...

One does not need to be physically violent to get a point across. Those who are not motivated to sort themselves out without getting punched in the head probably have no business being there anyway. I personally have no use for soldiers who are utterly blind followers and who don't think for themselves- that kind of abusive instructional style quashes the same personal characteristics that later develop into leadership ability...

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 12:13pm

Oh.. i felt abused.. so did everyone in my platoon. I dont care what anyone says.. you DO get "corrected" in boot. And sometimes thrown against the whiskey locker and arm barred and kicked....     I was at right shoulder one time and the M16 wasnt tight to my shoulder... I learned after that.
My SDI seemed to do a pretty good job of making us think any physical contact was for our own good, and even asked if anybody had a probelm being touched, and those recruits(most figured it was a trap and said nothing) who said they had problem never got too jacked up. The rest of us got full out oldschool handling. I'd much rather get kicked in the chest than spend 45min on the quarter deck. Getting quarterdecked until you cant pass a PFTand get dropped is a lot worse than being sore for a day tops. I was picked up by the throat, tossed into stuff, hit in the face with: blue money and bible bag, M-16, hygene kit, moonbeam etc and sure it sucked, but aside from one nosebleed it wasn't anything that caused injury or pain for more than a few seconds.

One does not need to be physically violent to get a point across. Those who are not motivated to sort themselves out without getting punched in the head probably have no business being there anyway. I personally have no use for soldiers who are utterly blind followers and who don't think for themselves- that kind of abusive instructional style quashes the same personal characteristics that later develop into leadership ability...

its not bull. I was thrown into my footlocker one day and they tried shutting it on me. hahahaha that was hilarious. another day i was picked up by my web belt at the rifle range because i didnt move fast enough to the next task while moving into the new house, so the drill hat threw me, literally like five feet to the other side of the squad bay. that was hilarious, i am doing something next thing i knew i was in the air and landing on the squad bay. not near where i was.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

Oh.. i felt abused.. so did everyone in my platoon. I dont care what anyone says.. you DO get "corrected" in boot. And sometimes thrown against the whiskey locker and arm barred and kicked....     I was at right shoulder one time and the M16 wasnt tight to my shoulder... I learned after that.
My SDI seemed to do a pretty good job of making us think any physical contact was for our own good, and even asked if anybody had a probelm being touched, and those recruits(most figured it was a trap and said nothing) who said they had problem never got too jacked up. The rest of us got full out oldschool handling. I'd much rather get kicked in the chest than spend 45min on the quarter deck. Getting quarterdecked until you cant pass a PFTand get dropped is a lot worse than being sore for a day tops. I was picked up by the throat, tossed into stuff, hit in the face with: blue money and bible bag, M-16, hygene kit, moonbeam etc and sure it sucked, but aside from one nosebleed it wasn't anything that caused injury or pain for more than a few seconds.

its not bull. I was thrown into my footlocker one day and they tried shutting it on me. hahahaha that was hilarious. another day i was picked up by my web belt at the rifle range because i didnt move fast enough to the next task while moving into the new house, so the drill hat threw me, literally like five feet to the other side of the squad bay. that was hilarious, i am doing something next thing i knew i was in the air and landing on the squad bay. not near where i was.

I can accomplish the same thing with a few harsh words and some motivational PT. Pretty much all day today, in fact, I've been on and off teaching/assisting with drill and weapons lectures, as well as inspecting troops and jacking them up for their deficiences. They tend to learn pretty well this way. I stand by what I said with regards to the dangers of unbridled aggression in a soldier- our violent tendencies are supposed to be finely controlled.

I don't want soldiers who will follow unquestioningly becuase of fear of the consequences of not doing so. I want soldiers who will follow without hesitation and react according to their training as appropriate, but still being comfortable and self confident enough with pointing out when things aren't right. The way I see it, I need my soldiers at least as much as they need me; I don't want them being afraid of me; that's not the right kind of respect to instill in intelligent people.

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 5:09pm

It seems outdated, but it works, as well as builds a culture that resembles a fraternity with weapons.
So... Drunken idiots with firearms? Sounds great.

brihard- What you're trying to accomplish isn't the same thing they are trying to do. You want intelligent troops who will make decisions, they want people who will follow orders no matter what. Tools, not people.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 19 March 2007 at 9:33am
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 6:48pm

Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

It seems outdated, but it works, as well as builds a culture that resembles a fraternity with weapons.
So... Drunken assholes with firearms? Sounds great.

brihard- What you're trying to accomplish isn't the same thing they are trying to do. You want intelligent troops who will make decisions, they want people who will follow orders no matter what. Tools, not people.

Different mentalities I suppose.

It's funny; these kids are always so flustered and panicky... We've got 'em preparing for a big inspection in another 45 minutes, which they will of course fail; they've been bagging it all weekend so we're gonna keep 'em busy.

By and alrge though they're good kids, and most of them will make decent soldiers once they're through all their training. In any case, the leadership and instructional thing is a cool experience.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic