FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your opinions on "mil-sim"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by FlashGordon FlashGordon wrote:

Quote We were trying to help you.

Most of the posts in this topic have not been intended to help. But thanks Tae.

Quote A lot of the people who post in Thoughts and Opinions section do not play paintball any more.

Doesn't mean I can't attempt to start an intelligent discussion about paintball in the proper section of a paintball forum.

1) I suppose yours are also included.

2) You can attempt all you want, but it should end up being moved to the proper section by a moderator. Not only that, but title does not dictate the "proper section." We here in T and O do not like the paintball topics.

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:01pm

Quote We were trying to help you.

Most of the posts in this topic have not been intended to help. But thanks Tae.

Quote A lot of the people who post in Thoughts and Opinions section do not play paintball any more.

Doesn't mean I can't attempt to start an intelligent discussion about paintball in the proper section of a paintball forum.

Yes, yes it does.

We DO NOT talk about paintball here, DO not... In no way, ever.

Your logic

"Just because I'm supposed to drive the speed limit doesn't mean I can't floor it to see how fast I can go"

Edited by *Stealth* - 28 February 2007 at 8:02pm
Jack Carver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:02pm
I guess it just depends on what you're going for. Personally, I just want something that puts paint down the field and is easy to use. If other people want to go for realism and make paintball more of a war-game, that's also fine with me. The milsim crowd mostly does just back-yard ball and scenarios though, which are large markets, so I think it gets a lot of attention, even if it doesn't really represent what a lot of us think paintball is.
FlashGordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlashGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

2) You can attempt all you want, but it should end up being moved to the proper section by a moderator. Not only that, but title does not dictate the "proper section." We here in T and O do not like the paintball topics.

1) Well yeah, that would make sense wouldn't it? I suppose it would look a little insane if I started talking to MYSELF in my thread..

2) So don't post, let this topic die.

Edited by FlashGordon - 28 February 2007 at 8:04pm
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:03pm
Not exactly true. I see a paintball thread come up once in a while. But its usually from a platty and has to do with "way back when".
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:09pm

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

1) Well yeah, that would make sense wouldn't it? I suppose it would look a little insane if I started talking to MYSELF in my thread..

2) So don't post, let this topic die.

I was not attempting to be hostile.

I am simply saying, if you want intelligent, informed answers, Thoughts and Opinions is not the place.

If you post this in New Players, you will get much better responses. Titles be damned.

tecumseh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I Wanna Title!! Waah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tecumseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:45pm
FlashGordon,  it's absolutely no use to argue with TKD.  He's one of the T&O gods, so please save us the flaming from here and put it into New Players.
what?
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 10:48pm
I am not Middle Aged, I have an Outstanding Service record and am a Decorated Marine. If your just going to try to flame MILSIM to try to gain some Internet Credz then by all means but Im moving this to an apropiate section. So that you may find what ever sort of discusion you wanted.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 11:11pm
but elvis... you look so bad ass with your guns... so it's ok

FlashGordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlashGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by tecumseh tecumseh wrote:

FlashGordon,  it's absolutely no use to argue with TKD. 
He's one of the T&O gods, so please save us the flaming from here
and put it into New Players.

Save yourself the flaming.. you are the one posting in this thread.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 11:39pm
It's another way to have fun with the game.

Anyone who complains about marker weight is just weak. Some other stuff, such as stocks, are simply practical for those of us who shoot that way.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 9:24am

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

He's a Cuban Viking Pirate.... They all look badass...

Bulldog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Childish Filter Dodge 7/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 9:39am
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

He's a Cuban Viking Pirate.... They all look badass...

Other then that no comment.

As to the thread, to each there own. When I was in the Army reserve I thought it was a down grade. When they took our M60's away and gave us Saw's. It was a big let down. So bigger, heaver and faster is the way to go in Mil-Sim.
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 9:48am

Army wanna-bees?

I see regs post paintball topics all the time in T&O and you reply to them with the upmost respect, then lower post count forum members post paintball topics in T&O and ya chastise (sp) them.

Shame on you.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Justice Justice wrote:

I see regs post paintball topics all the time in T&O and you reply to them with the upmost respect, then lower post count forum members post paintball topics in T&O and ya chastise (sp) them.

Shame on you.

Agreed.

Thoughts and Opinions is NOT LIMITED TO NON-PAINTBALL TOPICS. If it were, it would state as such.

Truth be told, it was the REGULARS section that was meant for non-paintball discussion. It only shifted to T&O due to the limited access.

Heaven forbid someone post something Paintball related in a Paintball Forum! Y'all need to lighten up with the "Wrong Forum" garbage.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 11:37am
My opinion on it? Too expensive and impractical.

BUT... others enjoy it, especially at big scenerio games, and if they are willing to dish out the $$$, so be it.

Edited by Linus - 01 March 2007 at 11:37am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 12:41pm
Honestly, I don't see much of a practical use for the mil-sim add ons that so many people go for these days. There was just a 5 page thread on Spec Ops' video "Woodsball Revolution" which tries to explain away all of the extraneous crap that most people throw on their markers to go in the mil-sim direction. I guess what it truly comes down to is this; purely visual mil-simmers (mind you I said PURELY VISUAL) fall into the same category as ricers in my book. They are people who want the real thing but can't have it for whatever reason, so they go for the look and feel of a real fire-arm. Some of the guys like E.E. probably go mil-sim because they know how to use the equipment rather well due to their military service. The vast majority of it, however, is what paintball started out as, simulated warfare without the consequences. There was a huge push from the late 80's until recently to make paintball as non war-like as possible to keep from offending the PC sensibilities of zealots the nation over. The sport/game has since gained enough main-stream support that the mil-sim guys can come out of hiding and do what they do. The ONLY mil-sim guys I take offense to are the ones who try to bash speeball/tournaments by saying how "impractical" or "ineffective" the gear is when put into a different situation. Again, there's a reason most GOOD scenario teams keep speedballers on the roster. We can punch a hole in a line faster and more effectively than just about anyone else out there.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
killerhalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerhalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:36pm
mislim is for use in scenarios and tactical tranning like paintball adventures advanced tactical systems there that is true mislim and popo training
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:26pm
If you are worried about "practical", why play paintball in the first place? Spend your time helping the needy, or making your car run batter, or something practical. 
TippmannBro View Drop Down
Enos for Prez.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:40pm
As far as practicality, some milsim stuff doesn't do anything for the player. Some of it does, however, and some companies are getting good at combining milsim looks with paintball practicality.

Examples:

The Apex with the M-16 shroud. I have this on my gun, and it looks good while giving the capabilities of the Apex.

SpecOps Commando Stocks have a groove cut out for a players mask to fit in behind the gun, making it easier to aim. These stocks also have air-through capabilities for those that want it. Furthermore, SpecOps created the dogleg stocks that allow you to shoulder the gun and make it super easy to aim at the same time.

There are numerous magazines that have regulators built into them, like the Trinity AK-47 mag that has a Palmer Stabilizer built into it.

Some scenario players like to have milsim stuff just because it looks cool. Some like to have it because they want to simulate the feel of an actual firearm. Some have milsim stuff because it allows one marker to have several different capabilities, such as the addition of electronic sights, grenade/rocket launchers, flashlights, ect...

I don't know what the milsim demographics are, but it would be interesting to know. I have a milsim marker for one reason: I wanted to have the feel of an actual firearm, just for kicks. I guess it was just a phase, but now I would like to make a few changes to make the marker more practical and easier to use.

Speedball players are just as good in the woods. The skill sets for speedball and woodsball are incredibly similar once you break it down. Markers designed for speedball can just as easily be used in the woods the same way milsim markers can be used on speedball fields (although, there are some things about milsim markers that would make them difficult to use on speedball fields, such as stocks, extra weight, ect...)

There has been a recent trend for players to take up woodsball over speedball. I will leave the reasons for that to another thread, but the bottom line is that woodsball/milsim stuff is getting very popular. And where there is an interest, paintball companies will accommodate that market.

I don't think that there is a problem with milsim players and people getting concerned with people trying to replicate actual combat. It is still a sport, not real combat, and as long as players are mature enough to realize this, then there will not be a problem.  Some companies and organizations (US military) replicate combat with milsim stuff for training purposes, but these people realize the implications of what they are doing and take it very seriously.
WAR EAGLE!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic