Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ouchies!

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
TIPPY98ACT View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIPPY98ACT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:50am
As far as the pain thing goes, I don't think the pain ever goes away. I think the fear of getting hit combined with actually getting hit makes it hurt more. I do believe over time you loose the fear. With out the fear of getting hit your mind then becomes more focused on the game. You know it is going to happen but you don't care any more. You are thinking of other things like were is good cover, what will make a good shooting lane, how much paint is left in my hopper, just to name a few. Instead of being the hunted you become the hunter. When you have that type of mind set and you have over come the fear it doesn't hurt as bad. Don't get me wrong, I still agree certain parts of the body don't feel the same way about my theory (I know). If you take fifteen or even one ball to a place on your body that just was not meant to be shot with a 204 mph paintball, it is going to hurt no matter what is on your mind at the time. But for the most part in my opinion it's mind over matter. As far as the wiping goes.. I think it defeats the purpose in rec or woods ball. If that is what the pros do, then let them. Just don't expect me or any of the people I play with to do the same.

Edited by TIPPY98ACT - 23 January 2007 at 1:05am
Back to Top
netramakin View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 July 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 633
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 8:47am

Originally posted by TIPPY98ACT TIPPY98ACT wrote:

I think the fear of getting hit combined with actually getting hit makes it hurt more.

Good point, Tippy.  It's like a car crash.  You tense up, you get hurt more.  I'm sure we've all heard how drunks often don't get as hurt in a crash because they're not all tensed up.


"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
Back to Top
netramakin View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 July 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 633
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 8:53am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

So EVERY athlete in EVERY sport that has ever had a penalty called on them is a cheater? I think not.

I didn't say that.  Don't put words into my mouth.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

If you'd take the time to actually read my argument, instead of being a thick headed argumentative child, you'd understand what I was saying.

Whose being argumentative?  I'm just stating my case.  You're the one doing all the whining.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Whiping in paintball is on the same level as Pass Interference in football. The penalties are dealt accordingly, and should be seen as such.

That's you opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.  Mine differs.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You forget to mention, however, that there are rules in all of the major books concerning making a difference in the game while playing on with an unobvious hit.

So because a book tells you that you should cheat, you do?  Be a man and stand up for what's right.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Really? Because it struck me as a feeble attempt to place yourself upon a pedestal.

How is playing by the rules "placing myself on a pedestal"?  I don't consider myself better or worse than anyone else...except cheaters.


"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
Back to Top
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 31 October 2005
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1861
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Originally posted by Squishey Squishey wrote:

yup, i have been playing for 3 years, and now the only hits that bother me are fingers, top of head, and nutters. its really not that bad.

Really, I dont feel em much anymore anywhere else but where he described.



i agree.  though my pants are always loose enough that i don't feel the nut-balls.

and stop acting like children!  groundings all around!


Edited by RavenGuard - 23 January 2007 at 2:58pm
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
Back to Top
VTpaintballer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Strike 2 - Flaming

Joined: 22 December 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 3:26pm

Originally posted by Squishey Squishey wrote:

yup, i have been playing for 3 years, and now the only hits that bother me are fingers, top of head, and nutters. its really not that bad.

 

agreed

Back to Top
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Joined: 31 August 2004
Location: Tokelau
Status: Offline
Points: 4447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by netramakin netramakin wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

So EVERY athlete in EVERY sport that has ever had a penalty called on them is a cheater? I think not.

I didn't say that.  Don't put words into my mouth.


You have expressly said that "wiping=cheating," but in all sports, players are punished severely for cheating. In paintball, there are penalties to enforce the rules, juts like in other sports.




Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

If you'd take the time to actually read my argument, instead of being a thick headed argumentative child, you'd understand what I was saying.

Whose being argumentative?  I'm just stating my case.  You're the one doing all the whining.


You don't back up any of your arguments, all you do is state your opinion, and then tell other people they are wrong.  If you want to be a part of an intelligent conversation, post the reasoning for your opinions...

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Whiping in paintball is on the same level as Pass Interference in football. The penalties are dealt accordingly, and should be seen as such.

That's you opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.  Mine differs.


You are entitled to your opinion as well, but the fact remains that the punishments for "cheating" and wiping are completely different.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You forget to mention, however, that there are rules in all of the major books concerning making a difference in the game while playing on with an unobvious hit.

So because a book tells you that you should cheat, you do?  Be a man and stand up for what's right.


I never said that the rule books tell you to cheat. They do however define them as a misdemeanor, and not a bannable offense.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Really? Because it struck me as a feeble attempt to place yourself upon a pedestal.

How is playing by the rules "placing myself on a pedestal"?  I don't
consider myself better or worse than anyone else...except cheaters.

You continue to be extremely hypocritical in this instance.  You first tell me to quit putting words into your mouth, and that you aren't putting yourself on a pedestal, and then you go back to saying I'm not a man because I wipe? That, coupled with the fact that you call people who wipe cheaters tends to be extremely elitist of you. 









The way I see it, "cheating" in paintball (ie. cheater boards, extra padding, etc.) would be along the same lines as steroids, etc. in other sports.
    Wiping on the other hands, is expressly considered a minor penalty, and is dealt with in the same manner as any other penalty in any other sport.  I'm not sure I see how the connection can be made that wiping a hit is paramount to using steroids.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Back to Top
netramakin View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 July 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 633
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 8:24pm

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You don't back up any of your arguments, all you do is state your opinion, and then tell other people they are wrong.

I never told you that you're wrong.  I said you're entitled to your own opinion and said it nicely, whereas you call me elitist, hypocritial, a thick-headed child, insinuate that I'm not intelligent, tell me that I see myself as a saint and try to put myself on a pedestal.  Why don't you stop being so defensive, grow up and stick to the argument?

And before you come back at me and say that I called you less than a man, it's an expression.  What I mean by that is, don't justify cheating just because everyone else does it.  Stand up and be an example by saying it's wrong and that you refuse to do it.  How else will you ever change the culture of cheating in paintball?

My stance is very simple.  Wiping paint off is against the rules.  If you wipe paint off, you're cheating.  I can't be any clearer or more succinct than that.  Why do I need to back up my argument?  There's nothing more to say.  It's in black and white in any rule book.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion as well, but the fact remains that the punishments for "cheating" and wiping are completely different.

There are varying forms of punishments for varying degrees of offenses, some cheating, some not.  IMHO, intentional offenses = cheating.  Webster defines "cheat" as, "Engage in deceitful behavior; practice trickery or fraud".  Is that enough "back up" for you?

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I never said that the rule books tell you to cheat. They do however define them as a misdemeanor, and not a bannable offense.

I couldn't care less what your books say.  If you wipe paint off, it was intentional, hence cheating, not like, whoops, I accidentally bumped a receiver.  Every paintball article I read talks about being honorable about being hit.  Maybe you should change your reading material.  And who said anything about "bannable"?  Not me.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You continue to be extremely hypocritical in this instance.  You first tell me to quit putting words into your mouth, and that you aren't putting yourself on a pedestal, and then you go back to saying I'm not a man because I wipe?  That, coupled with the fact that you call people who wipe cheaters tends to be extremely elitist of you.

I think you need to put down the paintball books and look up the word hypocritical because that paragraph makes no sense.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

The way I see it, "cheating" in paintball (ie. cheater boards, extra padding, etc.) would be along the same lines as steroids, etc. in other sports.

Wiping on the other hands, is expressly considered a minor penalty, and is dealt with in the same manner as any other penalty in any other sport.  I'm not sure I see how the connection can be made that wiping a hit is paramount to using steroids.

That's a pretty big leap.  Clever, though, making it sound as though I consider it paramount to steroids.  I don't, but it's still cheating.


"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:54pm
I think we can all agree that wiping is cheating. Anyone who says otherwise is silly.

Anyone who holds themselves above others because they don't cheat is equally silly.

Anyone who doesn't cheat to win when they are playing in a tournament on the national level and competing for money is sillier than anyone in this thread. 
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Offline
Points: 9819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Anyone who doesn't cheat to win when they are playing in a tournament on the national level and competing for money is sillier than anyone in this thread.


I don't think I'd call them silly; honorable but naive would probably be more appropriate.

Since you're participating in this thread Gatyr, do you have any views from the speedball side of the house on the opinions/questions I tossed out back on page 2?


Edited by Mack - 24 January 2007 at 2:19am
Back to Top
senses fail View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 08 January 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senses fail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:22pm
usually the adrenaline rush the game gives me numbs the pain and i dont even notice it. but theres still those vulnerable spots that will always hurt. neck, fingers, and your package. i got overshot there once, none broke but i called myself out neways, it hurt pretty bad.

before i got into paintball i played airsoft for a couple years, by the time i quit playing airsoft i didnt even notice those close range shots that used to make me bleed and hurt for hours. im hoping paintball will be the same.
Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by kickinwing2010 kickinwing2010 wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

i play a straight game man


i have honestly never cheated


 



Ya that like saying you've never slapped the monkey i mean come on
everyones done it.
no really i've never done it (cheating i mean)

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Anyone who doesn't cheat to win when they are playing in a tournament on the national level and competing for money is sillier than anyone in this thread.


I don't think I'd call them silly; honorable but naive would probably be more appropriate.

Since you're participating in this thread Garyr, do you have any views from the speedball side of the house on the opinions/questions I tossed out back on page 2?


First, Garyr would be an awesome WoW name.

Second, they are pretty much just silly gooses.

Third, I do consider it hypocritical to cheat and then whine about being cheated, unless it is at a tournament, and I feel there is something to be accomplished. Most people are surprised about how open I am about cheating (I tell them after the game what my intentions were and what actually happened as opposed to what I played it off as).

Not much to say other than that.
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Offline
Points: 9819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Anyone who doesn't cheat to win when they are playing in a tournament on the national level and competing for money is sillier than anyone in this thread.


I don't think I'd call them silly; honorable but naive would probably be more appropriate.

Since you're participating in this thread Garyr, do you have any views from the speedball side of the house on the opinions/questions I tossed out back on page 2?


First, Garyr would be an awesome WoW name.

I'll mention that to my kid since he's hooked on that game.

Second, they are pretty much just silly gooses.

We're going to have to disagree on this one.

Third, I do consider it hypocritical to cheat and then whine about being cheated, unless it is at a tournament, and I feel there is something to be accomplished. Most people are surprised about how open I am about cheating (I tell them after the game what my intentions were and what actually happened as opposed to what I played it off as).

That, is a unique approach.

Not much to say other than that.
Back to Top
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Joined: 06 June 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1624
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 4:00am

I jumped in on page 3 of this thread , and Boy do I have something to say about what I read !!

USAfpilot I just lost a lot of respect for you from your comments , you seem to be supporting those that dont display integrity and honor in a game that is based upon those qualities , granted I jumped in on something after the fact , but an intentional wipe or playing on after a recognized hit "Should" be treated as a Major violation (pull the guys pants and shirt off and make him run a guantlet of 1000 markers on full auto !!) and then kick his sorry Arse out of the game or tournament !!

Granted , there have been time that I have taken a hit on equipment and did'nt know it immediately and played on . when I did find out , I apologized to the players I opposed and made it known I was unaware of the legimitate elimination . Things were cool because of that , It Happens (to me and to others just as well ) .

 I have also called myself out when I got hit in the toe and it broke resulting in a legal "Hit" , I thought nobody noticed , but I had an opposing player come up and comment on my integrity and thank me for being a "Stand-up" Player . I thought it was just part of the game , play fair , play Hard , Play to Win .

I'm not putting myself on a "pedestal" persay , I expect those standards of play from myself and those I play with , and to be honest , the easiest way to check to see if your hit somewhere you cant readily see , is to wipe your hand across the spot in question . At this point it could be called wiping , but what "YOU" do with the information that comes up when your glove comes up smeared with paint , or comes up clean,,,,,, is what defines integrity as a player , and the reputation of paintballers in general .

Let me put it to you this way ,,,,

The Etical man ,,, Knows its wrong to cheat on his wife.........

The Moral man ,,, Wont cheat on his wife......

The choice is yours............

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
Back to Top
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Joined: 06 June 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1624
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 4:25am

Forgive the double post , but ,,

yeah , there's some places that it still hurts like hell to get hit at , the Neck , Nuckles , and Nutters , cover them up and smile !! or else

Tippy98act , I have to say , you hit it right upon the head wit your post at the top of page 3 , Ya never get used to the pain , Ya get over the fear because it aint gonna kill'ya . I come home from a morning of recball with one or two good hits in evidence and consider myself fortunate , because I know I've put 10 to 12 on others !! 

Sooner or later you become a hunter  , and at that point peeps begin to listen to you , for whatever reason . The main point is to have fun and know that you've play'd the best game you can . The credibility and respect will come in time .

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
Back to Top
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Joined: 31 August 2004
Location: Tokelau
Status: Offline
Points: 4447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Shadowminion Shadowminion wrote:

USAfpilot I just lost a lot of respect for you from your comments , you seem to be supporting those that dont display integrity and honor in a game that is based upon those qualities , granted I jumped in on something after the fact , but an intentional wipe or playing on after a recognized hit "Should" be treated as a Major violation (pull the guys pants and shirt off and make him run a guantlet of 1000 markers on full auto !!) and then kick his sorry Arse out of the game or tournament !!

Granted



That's fine, you are more than welcome to form your own opinion on the matter. I do, though, think that your opinion would change if your paintball career ever takes you to the point that you are competing for thousands and thousands of dollars.  You know the guys on the other side are going to, and I'm damn sure not going to let that stop me from getting my money. I go out there to win, not uphold some unwritten recball honor code.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Back to Top
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Joined: 20 March 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4454
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 3:05pm

The top tourny players didnt get where they are at on being able to shoot a paintball marker better. Im speculating that they are also good at wiping.

Remember once your caught for wiping at your home field you will be forever labeled a "wiper".


-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Back to Top
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Joined: 06 June 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1624
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 2:59am

Maybe cheaters should have their own tournaments then , LOL, I can see that , two five man teams wiping for all they are worth , yelling at the Refs to watch the other guys wipe !!!

Seriously tho,,, wipers make excellent targets , they are checking to make sure they got all the paint off and dont see the next thirty or so coming,,, Wipe THAT Sucka !!

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
Back to Top
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: Under Your Bed
Status: Offline
Points: 10951
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Shadowminion Shadowminion wrote:

Maybe cheaters should have their own tournaments then , LOL, I can see that , two five man teams wiping for all they are worth , yelling at the Refs to watch the other guys wipe !!!


Seriously tho,,, wipers make excellent targets , they are checking to make sure they got all the paint off and dont see the next thirty or so coming,,, Wipe THAT Sucka !!



It's called the NPPL
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Shadowminion Shadowminion wrote:

Maybe cheaters should have their own tournaments then , LOL, I can see that , two five man teams wiping for all they are worth , yelling at the Refs to watch the other guys wipe !!!

Seriously tho,,, wipers make excellent targets , they are checking to make sure they got all the paint off and dont see the next thirty or so coming,,, Wipe THAT Sucka !!



you make it seem like that because we wipe, we aren't any good, and that you would actually be able to shoot us 30 times.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.156 seconds.