FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

you know you’re a poor college kid...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: you know you’re a poor college kid...
    Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:33am
when you have to do laundry in the bathtub because you don't have enough money to go to the laundromat.
RicWhic414 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bitter multiple time Ion-ownage victim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:37am
that sucks, im glad i never had to do that when i was in college
Tuesday starts the weekend... YAYAYA!!!!
CHUFF CHUFF
lilsully4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilsully4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:38am
Well that just sucks doesn't it?
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:38am
Never got that far yet. 

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:40am
PCF, just shower with your clothes on.

I'm down to 1 to 2 meals a day cause of money. I actually feel guilty buying food, cause Im running so low on $$

Edited by choopie911 - 16 January 2007 at 11:41am
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Never got that far yet. 
RicWhic414 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bitter multiple time Ion-ownage victim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:56am
PCF just start selling yourself
Tuesday starts the weekend... YAYAYA!!!!
CHUFF CHUFF
Dazed View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Romped around naked in thorn bushes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:57am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

PCF, just shower with your clothes on.

I'm down to 1 to 2 meals a day cause of money. I actually feel guilty buying food, cause Im running so low on $$

It gets worse. I remember eating a snickers bar and a bowl of Easy-Mac day for three days out of the week to afford real food the rest of the time.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:58am

haha sucker, laundry was free at my college.

....though I never actually got the hang of doing it.....many a white shirt was ruined thanks to red ones.

It was then I decided to get a girlfriend and trick her into doing it for me.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

It was then I decided to get a girlfriend and trick her into doing it for me.

That's the trick - college are just about the only time when a girlfriend can be a money-SAVING venture.

If your college has mandatory meal plans, most women can't eat up all their points, and a girlfriend may be willing to share...

But as much as college poverty sucks, the good news is that it is (hopefully) temporary.  Those four years (or twelve, depending on your profession of choice) zoom by, and before you know it you are loaded with spending money (and massive debt).

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:07pm
I am actually becoming an RA next year simply out of necessity for cheaper housing and the added paycheck they get.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:15pm

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

I am actually becoming an RA next year simply out of necessity for cheaper housing and the added paycheck they get.

Its really a good racket to get into.

I was an RA for 2 and a half years, and I saved all kinds of money on housing. We didn't get a paycheck, but our own free room is one heck of a perk in and of itself.

Be prepared to deal with all kinds of situations though....In a matter of months, we had a death threat, suicide threat, and a rape accusation, as well as the usual racism accusations, drunken morons and noise violations that were almost daily.

....have fun.  

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:22pm

yeah... see i live off campus as well, w/ no laundry facilities in my house because the landlords are jerks and don't want to throw a washer and dryer in the basement. 

oh well, i still have my tub.

but don't even get me started on food.  i don't eat breakfast, and if i do, my roomy works at a bagel shop.  most of the time i can convince someone i'm working with to buy me lunch, if not, it's the most expensive meal, dinner, pfft... leftovers from the holidays are almost gone.  and i have enough stuff frozen to last me for a while. 

Right now i'm floating in this grey area between being broke and being ok, because of pay periods, i've been working for a month for free.  my paychecks won't start coming in until the end of the month. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:24pm

I was an RA for 2 and a half years, and I saved all kinds of money on housing. We didn't get a paycheck, but our own free room is one heck of a perk in and of itself.

My room wouldn't be free, I would have to pay 10% of the cost of the room (Roughly $450 a year), but I also get $1600 a semester for payment as an RA.

I talked to my RA, and he said that most communities around here are super calm. Nobody he knows has had to deal with anything more than the occasional rowdy drunk now and then. Mostly just noise complaints, and those are easy to deal with.

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 16 January 2007 at 12:26pm

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:27pm

Consider yourself lucky then.

And I wasn't kidding when I said it was a good racket....its also something you can use to beef up a resume in terms of leadership.

If its not too trying, you'll actually have fun with it. After a while, I did, I actually miss it from time to time.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

oh well, i still have my tub.

but don't even get me started on food. 

This just screams out for a Kramer tub salad.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:30pm

if you do become an RA, just don't be such a hard ass when it comes to enforcing alcohol policies.  of course this depends on your school.  i've experienced 2 ends of the spectrum.  when drinking in the dorms, we were always quiet, kept to our little group and didn't make a scene.  one RA would be a jerk and try to check all of our cups while walking in the hallway.  the other RA saw a bottle in my room and just said "get rid of it".

the worst thing i had to deal with was almost getting my matrix taken away because it was sitting on our coffee table after cleaning it and i left to go to the bathroom and the RA took it while i was out.  luckily, he just wanted to get it out of there before the resident hall advisor, the guy in charge, got informed. 

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:37pm

Hahaha.

The night before a game, my RHD (Residence Hall Director) and I sat in the lounge cleaning and packing our paintball gear.

My take on the alcohol was simple. If you're being an idiot about it, you get nailed. If you're in your room and quiet, then there wasn't anything I could do about it.

The day after move in, I had one of my residents come knocking on my door, and was telling me something, and was wasted out of his brain....he was gone within the week.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:40pm

My take on the alcohol was simple. If you're being an idiot about it, you get nailed. If you're in your room and quiet, then there wasn't anything I could do about it.

That will be my method.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 1:07pm
Yeah, in my dorm last year, we could drink in our rooms and the common rooms. Just have to respect the quiet hours and they really dont care, just dont drink in the halls or bathroom. Pretty simple rules really, and if you followed them you could have alot of fun, but if you break them, they'll step in on it.

I'm glad I've got laundry in my apartment, washer and dryer right in the closet :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic