FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saddam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 7:03am
Originally posted by FROG MAN FROG MAN wrote:

i still dont think the death penaltie should even be around

and remeber 100% of what i know about him is american propaganda, so i take it lightley

Um, K?

I believe Saddam's atrocities are pretty well internationally documented, and as far as the death penalties go, the Iraqi people have well earned their right to put that dog down. I believe that there are videos out there Saddam kept of using gas on newborn babies...he doesn't deserve to live...

And it's "penalty", "lightly" and "remember". .

Edited by stratoaxe - 27 December 2006 at 7:04am
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 7:10am
Originally posted by FROG MAN FROG MAN wrote:

i still dont think the death penaltie should even be around

and remeber 100% of what i know about him is american propaganda, so i take it lightley

Um no. Yes, some is obviously americanized, biased, etc...but you cant say 100%. Heck, my best friend growing up, his dad was from Iraq, he had to sneak out of the country, he wasnt legally allowed to leave. His brother (my friends uncle) was shot in front of his brother for something like that (trying to leave, etc) I'm not sure.

Obviously I dont know the full story, but theres no way you can say 100% is propaganda when there is unbiased proof of his wrongdoings.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 11:43am

I still don't favor death sentences.

Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 11:47am
I don't like it, but it's not in my hands. I think he deserves to die, but it's not
my (or anyone elses) right to kill him.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

I'm just curious, but what do you think should be done in this situation?
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
battlefreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote battlefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 12:41pm
It's just a way to get him out of the way and done with, it wont solve much but at least no one will ever have to worry about him again.
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by battlefreak battlefreak wrote:

It's just a way to get him out of the way and done with, it wont solve much but at least no one will ever have to worry about him again.

Agreed.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 1:11pm
My personal objections to the death penalty have always been because of the justice system- not the punishment itself.

In this instance we can all feel 100% utterly certain that Saddam is in fact guilty of his crimes- that being certain, I've got no problem with him being put to death.

High profile war criminals are really one of the few instances these days in which I CAN trust judicial process when it hands down a death sentence...

It'll be quick and easy, really. A short sharp drop, the neck breaks, and no more Saddam.

As much as I distrust the vast majority of information coming out of Iraq from ANY source, I've got no moral issue with executing Saddam. He made his own bed, now he has to lie in it.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 2:16pm

Can I propose that this isn't really a "death penalty" at all?  Not in a justice system kind of way, anyway.

This is really a post-revolution/invasion dispose-of-the-old-leaders kind of thing.  Saddam is a POW more than anything else, despite the screwball "trials" they come up with.

His trial wouldn't pass muster under most legal systems - and you will recall that a big problem was to figure out what legal system to try him under.  And, of course, one of Saddam's defenses has a lot of legal merit:  He "is" Iraq, and it is therefore impossible for him to commit a crime under Iraqi law.  This principle has loads of precedent, and is deeply embedded in legal systems around the world, including the US.  Bush used a version of this to point out that it is impossible for the President to violate document secrecy rules.

Virtually every military action constitutes "murder" under civilian laws, yet is perfectly legal, because government action is generally exempt from civilian law.

Saddam has a very good point, which is (part of) why a lot of legal experts are laughing at the kangaroo court they put together for him.

Saddam's crime is really just being Saddam, and comparing this to regular murderers, legally speaking, is wrong, IMO.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

My personal objections to the death penalty have always been because of the justice system- not the punishment itself.

In this instance we can all feel 100% utterly certain that Saddam is in fact guilty of his crimes- that being certain, I've got no problem with him being put to death.

High profile war criminals are really one of the few instances these days in which I CAN trust judicial process when it hands down a death sentence...

It'll be quick and easy, really. A short sharp drop, the neck breaks, and no more Saddam.

As much as I distrust the vast majority of information coming out of Iraq from ANY source, I've got no moral issue with executing Saddam. He made his own bed, now he has to lie in it.

Good point. I'd still rather see him rot in cell though....

battlefreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote battlefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

My personal objections to the death penalty have always been because of the justice system- not the punishment itself.In this instance we can all feel 100% utterly certain that Saddam is in fact guilty of his crimes- that being certain, I've got no problem with him being put to death.High profile war criminals are really one of the few instances these days in which I CAN trust judicial process when it hands down a death sentence...It'll be quick and easy, really. A short sharp drop, the neck breaks, and no more Saddam.As much as I distrust the vast majority of information coming out of Iraq from ANY source, I've got no moral issue with executing Saddam. He made his own bed, now he has to lie in it.
yep
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

It's all pretty pointless, IMO. The world isn't going to be any better with Saddam dead. Life isn't going to be any different for the Iraqi's or anyone else for that matter. Punishing violence with more violence doesn't solve problems, if anything it makes them worse. I wish more people could see that. I find it ironic at best that so many Christians in the U.S. are in favor of the death penalty when it clearly goes against the teachings of Christianity. I guess this is all another discussion for another time though.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 6:33pm

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by GI JOES SON GI JOES SON wrote:

they issued that over 30 days ago....they're never going to actually do it

Um no, it was news this morning

it may have been mentioned on the news this morning but it was determined that it would done like that within 30 days at least a month ago, i remember hearing about it on the radio

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 6:54pm

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

they issued that over 30 days ago....they're never going to actually do it

Um no, it was news this morning

it may have been mentioned on the news this morning but it was determined that it would done like that within 30 days at least a month ago, i remember hearing about it on the radio

He still had the legal right to an appeal. I believe that upon the verdict of the appeal, the thirty days start, assuming the appeal is lost (which it was).
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
636andy636. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 10/24/07: Inappropriate Word Use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 8:13pm
OH NOES, NOT UNCLE SADDAM!
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 9:09pm
That'll learn him for what he did on 9/11. 
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 9:24pm

i know saddam was a very bad man but i am opposed to the death penalty

Like i believe some people should be executed but as with Brihard i have problems with the legal side of it. Because who has the right to decide if a man should live or die?

nobody does... no matter what there would be bias.

like if we were to put down strict rules on certain conditions where the death penalty is imposed, There would be a separate trial once the person is convicted where it is decided exactly what crimes were done and how many times.... maybe a point system would be used where if someone has a certain amount of points they are executed.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 9:28pm
Wow, "like" is as annoying in text as it is in speech....

636andy636. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 10/24/07: Inappropriate Word Use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 10:56pm
Whats worse, Rest of your life in prison, or, killed in 30 days?
Rock Slide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Well, my player card says Iím an <KRL> !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Slide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 11:35pm
So...   Who has him in their death pool? 
I bring annihilation

and cheap red wine!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic