FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Kwanzaa!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Kwanzaa!
    Posted: 26 December 2006 at 9:56pm
December 26th is the start of Kwanza!

Happy Kwanza everyone!

Kwanzaa is based on the Nguzo Saba (seven guiding principles), one for each day of the observance, and is celebrated from December 26th to January 1st.
  • Umoja (oo-MO-jah) Unity stresses the importance of togetherness for the family and the community, which is reflected in the African saying, "I am We," or "I am because We are."
  • Kujichagulia (koo-gee-cha-goo-LEE-yah) Self-Determination requires that we define our common interests and make decisions that are in the best interest of our family and community.
  • Ujima (oo-GEE-mah) Collective Work and Responsibility reminds us of our obligation to the past, present and future, and that we have a role to play in the community, society, and world.
  • Ujamaa (oo-JAH-mah) Cooperative economics emphasizes our collective economic strength and encourages us to meet common needs through mutual support.
  • Nia (NEE-yah) Purpose encourages us to look within ourselves and to set personal goals that are beneficial to the community.
  • Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah) Creativity makes use of our creative energies to build and maintain a strong and vibrant community.
  • Imani (ee-MAH-nee) Faith focuses on honoring the best of our traditions, draws upon the best in ourselves, and helps us strive for a higher level of life for humankind, by affirming our self-worth and confidence in our ability to succeed and triumph in righteous struggle.

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 26 December 2006 at 10:00pm

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 9:57pm
Are there presents?
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 9:59pm
Who's up for some woman toruturing?!

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 10:00pm
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

Who's up for some woman toruturing?!

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 10:43pm
I believe it's Boxing Day in Canada too....

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 10:59pm
Yeah, the bear fights are on tonight
Funky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Pants? I dont need no stinking pants.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Yeah, the bear fights are on tonight

Charlie looks good, I bet he'll teach that damn Polar Bear a lesson or two.

The question remains, you think that Black Bear scandel will blow over?

"Don't you hate pants?"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:05pm
Eh...thats iffy. It was a big deal here when it first hit the news, but I havent really heard any talk of it in quite a while.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:10pm
So uh, either of you guys want to clue us in as to what it's about? I could google, but I want to hear from a Canadian....sounds interesting so far...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:12pm
Boxing Day in Canada is when we hold Bear Fights. It's how the day got its name, since in simplified terms, they're boxing. I guess calling it boxing helped legitimize the event.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:12pm
I am surprised we haven't seen a Festivus thread yet.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:15pm
But, is there any symbolic significance to the bear fights or some sort of historical commemoration or anything? Just cool bear fights? lol...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic