FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

w00t for teh buddha boy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: w00t for teh buddha boy
    Posted: 26 December 2006 at 5:58am
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 10:00am
without food or water for 10 months?  Shens
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 10:36am
He is not fat enough to be a reincarnation buddha.
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:59am

Hasn't someone told that boy about Jesus?  It's crazy that on CHRISTmas some writes an article like this about the re-incarnation of Buddha. What is going on with people nowadays!!!!

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by phil_stl phil_stl wrote:

Hasn't someone told that boy about Jesus?  It's crazy that on CHRISTmas some writes an article like this about the re-incarnation of Buddha. What is going on with people nowadays!!!!

The world does not revolve around your particular preferred beliefs. Who's to say the Christians are right and the Buddhists are wrong? Frankly, Buddhists have a much better track record as 'world citizens' than Christians do. And no, I'm not slurring the whole Christian faith here- but Buddhism hasn't caused half the problems that most major monotheistic, dogmatic faiths have.

What I'm getting at here is basically 'suck it up'.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 12:56pm
I think he was being sarcastic.

I hope he was being sarcastic.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 3:17pm

Regardless of whether phil was being sarcastic (unclear), I will go ahead and note that Christmas as we know is in fact NOT about Jesus, and it never was.  You have all been lied to.

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by barn_user barn_user wrote:

buddha wasn't really fat.  at all.  that is a myth.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

Originally posted by barn_user barn_user wrote:

buddha wasn't really fat.  at all.  that is a myth.

did you know buddha?
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

The world does not revolve around your particular preferred beliefs. Who's to say the Christians are right and the Buddhists are wrong? Frankly, Buddhists have a much better track record as 'world citizens' than Christians do. And no, I'm not slurring the whole Christian faith here- but Buddhism hasn't caused half the problems that most major monotheistic, dogmatic faiths have.

What I'm getting at here is basically 'suck it up'.

Given that some forum memebers have been sarcastically saying the same things for the past week or so I highly doubt hes being serious . . .

Anyway, thats very interesting.  My thought on it though is Buddhism preaches living in moderation. 10 months of meditation with no food or drink seems to go against that. Very interesting all the same.

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Regardless of whether phil was being sarcastic (unclear), I will go ahead and note that Christmas as we know is in fact NOT about Jesus, and it never was.  You have all been lied to.

I beg to differ but I could be mistaken.

Christmas itself is about the birth of Jesus now and has been for several centuries, so yes, it is about the birth of Jesus.  Before that , however, Christmas was the celebration of Adam and Eve.

Christmas is celebrated now, however, because at the time of its creation pagans celebrated the winter solstice, yule, and other such events.  The church knew it couldn't compete with the pagan rituals so it adopted their celebrations.

So, no, the original winter celebrations had nothing to do with Jesus and the later Christan celebrations also had little to do with Jesus, but today, the day of Christmas has everything to do with Jesus

Edited by Darur - 26 December 2006 at 9:11pm
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Christmas itself is about the birth of Jesus now and has been for several centuries, so yes, it is about the birth of Jesus.  Before that , however, Christmas was the celebration of Adam and Eve.

Christmas is celebrated now, however, because at the time of its creation pagans celebrated the winter solstice, yule, and other such events.  The church knew it couldn't compete with the pagan rituals so it adopted their celebrations.

So, no, the original winter celebrations had nothing to do with Jesus and the later Christan celebrations also had little to do with Jesus, but today, the day of Christmas has everything to do with Jesus

This was poorly stated on my part, but you obviously got part of my gist.  What Christmas "is" about, of course, depends mostly on the person celebrating.  If you think about Jesus during Christmas, then it is obviously about Jesus for you.  If you don't, then it isn't.

What I was really getting was the extent to which the "standard" Christmas traditions have nothing to do with Christ at all.

As you point out, the current timing of Christmas was set by the Catholics as they were bringing Christianity to Northern Europe.  But it goes further.  Christmas trees, Christmas presents - not of Christian origin.  Christmas lights - very arguably not of Christian origin.  In many parts of the world the Christmas traditions are the EXACT same traditions as for the pagan holidays that Christmas replaced.  In some parts, even the same words are used.  "Yuletide" is just butchered Scandinavian for "Christmas time", where "Yul" or "Jul" is the current word for Christmas in those languages.  "Jul" is also the name for the old winter solstice. 

Scandinavia in general may be the best example, both because "jul" was the specific holiday that Pope Gregory was trying to cover up with Christmas.  The current celebration of Christmas in most of Scandinavia today is quite similar to the way Jul was celebrated pre-Christianity, and many of the traditions (mistletoe, anyone?) have been exported to other parts of the world.  The Wikipedia article on "Yule", while a bit shaky, has some interesting info on point and is generally accurate.

So - My point is simply that Christmas is about Christ if you want it to be, but Christ is not intrinsic to the global holiday we know as "Christmas".  Christmas is celebrated by Buddhists and atheists and many others, who obviously don't particularly care about Jesus at all.  It is a holiday with strong pagan roots that was co-opted by Christianity, and has since been co-opted by secular capitalism.

Edited by Clark Kent - 27 December 2006 at 11:54am
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 5:56pm

This was poorly stated on my part, but you obviously got part of my gist.  What Christmas "is" about, of course, depends mostly on the person celebrating.  If you think about Jesus during Christmas, then it is obviously about Jesus for you.  If you don't, then it isn't.

What I was really getting was the extent to which the "standard" Christmas traditions have nothing to do with Christ at all.

As you point out, the current timing of Christmas was set by the Catholics as they were bringing Christianity to Northern Europe.  But it goes further.  Christmas trees, Christmas presents - not of Christian origin.  Christmas lights - very arguably not of Christian origin.  In many parts of the world the Christmas traditions are the EXACT same traditions as for the pagan holidays that Christmas replaced.  In some parts, even the same words are used.  "Yuletide" is just butchered Scandinavian for "Christmas time", where "Yul" or "Jul" is the current word for Christmas in those languages.  "Jul" is also the name for the old winter solstice. 

Scandinavia in general may be the best example, both because "jul" was the specific holiday that Pope Gregory was trying to cover up with Christmas.  The current celebration of Christmas in most of Scandinavia today is quite similar to the way Jul was celebrated pre-Christianity, and many of the traditions (mistletoe, anyone?) have been exported to other parts of the world.  The Wikipedia article on "Yule", while a bit shaky, has some interesting info on point and is generally accurate.

So - My point is simply that Christmas is about Christ if you want it to be, but Christ is not intrinsic to the global holiday we know as "Christmas".  Christmas is celebrated by Buddhists and atheists and many others, who obviously don't particularly care about Jesus at all.  It is a holiday with strong pagan roots that was co-opted by Christianity, and has since been co-opted by secular capitalism.

Ahh, now I see what your saying, and I agree, just one little bit of nitpicking if you will .  Christmas lights are often traced back to Martin Luther who put candles in his tree and began the German tradition, so it can be easily argued as a Christan tradition.

Edited by Darur - 27 December 2006 at 5:56pm
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 6:04pm

Ahh, now I see what your saying, and I agree, just one little bit of nitpicking if you will .  Christmas lights are often traced back to Martin Luther who put candles in his tree and began the German tradition, so it can be easily argued as a Christan tradition.

:)

I agree about the Christmas TREE lights - that's my understanding as well.  My understanding about the EXTERIOR Christmas lighting, however, is that it is (somewhat obviously) a midwinter celebration holdover.

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 6:29pm
Basically the catholic church did the microsoft strategy of adapt, improve, destroy.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
STOcocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Forum Halo Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STOcocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 6:35pm
This article confuses me.

They say that this boy is a reincarnation of Buddha, but Buddha was said to have reached enlightenment.

It is my understanding that Buddhist believe that you don't reincarnate after reaching enlightenment.

It is a bit conflicting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic