Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Fear the Sniper"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ghostcat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Fear the Sniper"
    Posted: 28 November 2006 at 3:58pm
Anybody seen this DVD from special ops? It's actually a decent video on paintball snipers and their role on a team. I know  everybody likes to shoot down the sniper threads. It's still a good video though worth watching if you plan on playing sniper on a brigade team. I'm not trying to start a flame war about snipers, their role, their existance, or their effectiveness, or lack there of.  Just  a  personal review of the DVD.

***Edit, I recant and edit my original post. I can clearly see this thread is  headed the wrong direction already. I intended to discuss the DVD only and what everybody thought of it WHO HAS WATCHED IT. If you haven't watched it, don't post.

Edited by Ghostcat - 28 November 2006 at 8:10pm
98 CUSTOM PRO
-Cyclone Feed
-A5 Ricochet hopper
-Lapco Bigshot 12" barrell
-Tippmann X-chamber
-Polished internals

SL-68 II (stock)
SHERIDAN PGP (stock)
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 4:09pm
The thing is, is what they described is not sniping.  You can't snipe.  Its well established.  Its called camping and hoping you dont get the snot blown outta you.  Also, long barrels are still and forever will be pointless. Also, this "sniper" is going to have to lay down a lot of paint.  The term sniper is just a marketing term, as we all know and embrace.

Edited by Yomillio - 28 November 2006 at 6:05pm
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 4:24pm

Strap your seatbelts on, it's gona be a rough 42 pages!!!!

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Strap your seatbelts on, it's gona be
a rough 42 pages!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I just got done taking a healthy sniper ... now if I can just get the smell out
before the wife and kid get home ...

Some things Lysol just can't handle!

Edited by hwayhzrd - 28 November 2006 at 4:31pm
If I attack, follow me

If I flee, kill me

If I die, avenge me

Eaglez View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 7:12pm

You know what?  I hate everybody saying "theres no such thing as sniping or being a sniper blah blah whine whine"  Sniping in paintball means that you are camoflauged and alone and use the same characterisics and moving as a sniper just doesnt do the long range. They need to be stealthy and not able to pick out with the human eye.  Its as simple as that.  If you just say "I hate noobs that think they are snipers"  it doesnt mean that they are actually trying to shoot someone from long range.  Maybe "sniping" just means killing somebody without them seeing you. That includes real military.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Eaglez Eaglez wrote:

You know what?  I hate everybody saying "theres no such thing as sniping or being a sniper blah blah whine whine"  Sniping in paintball means that you are camoflauged and alone and use the same characterisics and moving as a sniper just doesnt do the long range. They need to be stealthy and not able to pick out with the human eye.  Its as simple as that.  If you just say "I hate noobs that think they are snipers"  it doesnt mean that they are actually trying to shoot someone from long range.  Maybe "sniping" just means killing somebody without them seeing you. That includes real military.

Doesn't everyone try to do that in woodsball? (Or in the real military?)
Snick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 7:53pm

Sniping IS shooting a target from long range. Sniping is no connected to being stealthy. People in their own noobness make that connection. People hear sniper in reference to paintball, they instantly think of woodsball noobs running around in ghelle and with long barrels.

To snipe does NOT require stealth.
Example, a SWAT Police Sniper. These guys do not go hide in extra effort to remained hid. These men station themselves at statigic possitions in order to gain an advantagious opportunity to make a kill shot if called upon to do so.

In the example above you do NOT see someone making sure they remain hidden. Sometimes these snipers pressence is known, but they remain far enough away that other people have nothing they can do about it. its just like the group of officers stationed around the entrances and exits. The criminal KNOWS they are waiting out there for them but cant do anything about it. The police are just waiting for the key moment which will bring the least harm to any third party pressent.

I would be willing to believe someone if they claimed to be a recon unit or behind the line scout. These people DO use camo and ghelle to remain hidden and penitrate into enemy territory. However in real world millitary there is no way these people are sent in as Kill Squads. these people are ment to gather inteligence, not go in an eliminate the enemy person by person.

Every once in a while there IS a person sent in for a specific kill, but these people often again are not covered in camo or anything like that. weither they eliminate their target by range with a highpower rifle or close by shanking them with a knife or using a bomb depends on the situation. in practical purposes, it is imposible to send in a unit using camo trying to advance into a base. to become trully blended into the environment requires much more time that can be spend by someone behind enemy lines. it is much more effective to try sending someone in undercover to draw less attention. if someone sees a mass of moving bushes they are gonna know something is wrong. The best place to hide is in the most unlikely place, standing right next to them while chatting away.

the only real world definition that fits closest to a sniper is a unit stationed beforehand at a location which is known in the future to be a place of importance. the Unit is them placed there and hidden and often waits their hours, maybe even days until the target comes. that is when the unit strikes and then quickly retreats on a predetermines and set path before the enemy knows what hit them. This is what spec-ops tries to call a sniper. however again they fail to realize the requirements of prior deployment for a specific target and COMPLETE conceilment. when you see pictures of military snipers you often see nothing. they are so hunkered in and set in place that you cannot tell the difference between them and the other environment, even if you were standing 2 feet away from them. Guess what. this does not happen in an instant. this takes LOTS of time prior to not only find your place to hid, but then spend the time to make tripple sure you blend in completely.

And guess what, running up 2 minutes before someone else shows up is not gonna cut it. paintball is not ment to have those kinda of people. there are to many factors such as the fact everyone starts at the same time that prevent any actual environment where they can exist.

and yet again, sniping does not mean concealment. the military units mentioned above using concealment are there for one specific thing and then retreat. they are no there for anything such as "Kill everyone you see thats against us." going behind enemy lines is far to dangerious to just be used to eliminate other forces. that person may kill one or two people but it wont take very long at all for everyone else to hunt them down and eliminate them if the sniper just keep hanging around for more kills. it is much wiser to remain closeknit as a unit than to branch of to go "snipe." there is a reason people fight in groups. if three people encounter two others, the three people have the advantage. if however those three people were to split up and come and go wandering alone they are much easier to eliminate if they run into those same to people.

Edited by Snick - 28 November 2006 at 8:01pm
Ghostcat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

The thing is, is what they described is not sniping.  You can't snipe.  Its well established.  Its called camping and hoping you dont get the snot blown outta you.  Also, long barrels are still and forever will be pointless. Also, this "sniper" is going to have to lay down a lot of paint.  The term sniper is just a marketing term, as we all know and embrace.

Agreed as stated above.  Lets keep this thread on the topic of the DVD, if you haven't seen it, Don't put your 2 cents worth in. Also this isn't a thread to flame each other on the topic of snipers. If thats want you want feel free to post and resurect the 100 other sniper threads.

I did like on the video how it gave you some tactics used by the special ops teams, and showed some situations were a "sniper" (term used loosely) could position himself and manuever around for best coverage.

98 CUSTOM PRO
-Cyclone Feed
-A5 Ricochet hopper
-Tippmann X-chamber
-Polished internals

SL-68 II (stock)
SHERIDAN PGP (stock)
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 8:09pm

ibl?

Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
estcstpnt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Eaglez Eaglez wrote:

If you would like to continue posting on the Tippmann forums I would suggest you make a new account.

Thinking about it...
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 11:22pm
lolz... spec ops is just raking in the cash with this silly sniper thing.  i should have thought of marketing it as much as they did.  
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2006 at 11:35pm

of course

all new players want to be snipers

it's a genious thing to do.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Ghostcat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 12:16am
Ok, I can gladly see this is turning into nothing more than an immature pissing contest. Evidently nobody here is old enough to respect my  wishes and keep this thread on topic.

COULD A MOD PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD FOR ME BEFORE IT GETS EVEN MORE OUT OF HAND. Thank you
98 CUSTOM PRO
-Cyclone Feed
-A5 Ricochet hopper
-Tippmann X-chamber
-Polished internals

SL-68 II (stock)
SHERIDAN PGP (stock)
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 1:05am
You might actually have to directly contact a mod to get them to do your bidding.
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 7:41am
stop raggin on the poor guy hes has put time in effort into giving a
legitiment argument. Also no matter how long you guys argue there is
this
thing called a definition made by people who are way smarter then any of
the rest of us here
is the link read it all the way through
honestly i dont know why
people around here think wanting to be a sniper in paintball is a sin the
only slightly legitement argument that i have seen repeated over and over
is a paintball is not accurate enough well every day we see new technolgy
with stuff like the apex that is making a paintball more accurate. As for
the range snipers dont necesarily need range they need a concealed spot
from which to shoot like some tall grass. So yeah flame me if you want i
dont really care just stop being so strong headed i mean maybe your
wrong buy it doesnt make a differnce because i have a definition which is
proof which i have none of from any of you so im just gonna go on what i
think you can go on what you think but whatever i dont really care
honestly smarter people told me something and im gonna believe it.
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 10:44am
The movie sucked. I know someone who watched it and said it was some fat guy in camo waddling around.

Sniper debates are stupid. Its like argueing God, nobody will change their opinion and no one has enough proof to totally disprove the other.

IBL.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 11:10am
Fine, forget the range thing, say someone does manage to stay hidden long enough to get off a shot. He takes out one player if he's lucky then either gets instantly lit up, or has to run away. So you shot one person out all by yourself, big deal. You didn't win the game. It's a one man ambush and you fire a limited amount of paint. You'd be more effective hosing the treeline for a few seconds, it would cause more alarm and buy you more time to escape. It's still just an ambush, and with only one person, it has severly limited effectivness. Go sit in a bush in the middle of the field, I'll be playing paintball. You shoot one person I'll shoot half a dozen. But whatever you do, if we need extra bodies for an assault, make sure you don't move to help it might compromise your position and you'd miss the chance to shoot that other lone noob looking for a bush to hide in.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by jerseypaint jerseypaint wrote:

I know someone who watched it and said it was some fat guy in camo waddling around.

so kinda like watching OMHW play?

zing!
tecumseh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I Wanna Title!! Waah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 1:33pm

/\/\/\/\    

what?
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member