FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dont be drunk driving in tennessee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dont be drunk driving in tennessee
    Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:50pm
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:53pm
I call that a good start.  Drunk driving laws/punishment are still WAY too lenient in this country.
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:05pm
I don't think that is tot bad for what they did. Making people convicted of drinking under the influence have special stickers, or marks on their license plates to show they have received dui's would be more suiting, imo. 

Edited by Sammy - 19 November 2006 at 7:06pm
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:31pm
I don't disagree with that, but it shouldn't be limited to just drunk driving. I
say expand it to "impared driving", so everyone's screwed.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:42pm
I was almost killed by a drunk drive a couple of weeks ago. He blew through a stop sign and crossed the road about 10 seconds in front of me going about 75.....I felt sorry for the people whose yard he ended up flying through and whose car he ended up smashing while they slept peacefully. I came back as a witness just to make sure everyone was ok. Ticked me off a bit when I found out he was drunk. If I'd been a little faster he would have hit my driver's side door going fast enough to kill us both, probably. 

Stormcharger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormcharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 11:58pm
Cool, another useless law to soak up taxpayers money, and make way for yet more taxes to administrate these idiots who drive under the influence.  There are plenty of laws on the books for DUI, the problem is that most judges do not want to use up jail space for these offenders.  More laws will never solve this sort of problem, but actually holding offenders accountable for their actions will. 
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 12:01am
Ehh...I don't know how I feel about this one.  Part of me thinks it's a good idea, another part feels like it's a bit unecessary. By no means should anyone drive drunk, but I think more conventional punishments are the best answer. Everyone deserves a bit of dignity.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 12:08am
Yeah, wish I could say something nice about my state, but TN just sucks.
Galm </\> Zero View Drop Down

Guested - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galm </\> Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:54am

Most people aren't even embarrassed," said Bollinger, who serves as president of the Tennessee Sheriff's Association. "I see them out there just laughing. They're not taking it seriously."

that's the first thing I thought. I know tons of people that drive drunk that would stand out there laughing their asses off over the situation.

For after all what's man in nature? A central point in between nothing & all, infinitely far from understanding either.

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:59am
I was reading in the USA Today a couple of weeks ago that in Fresno they're putting ankle bracelets on people with drunk driving convictions to track when they're within a certain distance of a bar or liquor store. They're sneaking into driveways to put GPS devices on the cars of people with convictions and searching trash for signs that they've been drinking. They also run more checkpoints and stings at bars than about anywhere in the country.

Of course, I think it was all instituted after somebody "important" lost somebody to a drunk driver. Always how it goes, isn't it?

Edited by reifidom - 20 November 2006 at 8:59am

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 10:23am

"We have a litter and trash pick-up crew that goes out every day anyway," he said. "They just go out with them, but, of course, they have to wear the special vest."

That bugs me....because 'shaming' someone who breaks the law requires them to do the job that someone is paid to do every day.

Thats like when I worked as a custodian, and they 'punished' kids by making them do our work when they screwed up or broke something. 

Degrading? yes, but to whom?

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

"We have a litter and trash pick-up crew that goes out every day anyway," he said. "They just go out with them, but, of course, they have to wear the special vest."

That bugs me....because 'shaming' someone who breaks the law requires them to do the job that someone is paid to do every day.

Thats like when I worked as a custodian, and they 'punished' kids by making them do our work when they screwed up or broke something. 

Degrading? yes, but to whom?

Excellent point. It really says something about how they view those people's everyday job. Yeah, hell with that. Give them a pink license plate or something if you want to point them out. At least that would have the relation of being on the road.

Edited by reifidom - 20 November 2006 at 10:29am

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 10:57am

I like the pink license plate idea (although sucks for others driving the car), and good point reb.

I think the old country has it right on this one:  Immediate revocation of license with a multi-year wait before reapplying, huge fine based on income, and actual jail time.

People don't drive drunk because there is a gain - it isn't like murder/rape/theft.  People drive drunk because they just don't care, and because the punishment isn't frightening enough.

This is a crime where general deterrance could be (and has been elsewhere) very effective.

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:28pm
I have no problem with increased penalties for drunk driving, but I also think that there needs to be a new definition of "drunk."
Penalties should vary by how drunk you are.
In Michigan, you only have to blow a .08 to be considered drunk. I've heard more than one story about someone having a single beer and being pulled over for speeding, then been arrested for "drunk driving."
I personally drive all the time after having a beer or maybe even two, and it does not seem to affect my driving.
If you blow .08-.1 and are 21 years old, I think that should be less of a problem than if you blow a .35, and right now the penalties are the same (at least to my knowledge).

Edited by Bunkered - 20 November 2006 at 1:29pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

I personally drive all the time after having a beer or maybe even two, and it does not seem to affect my driving.

You shouldn't think so.

There are numerous - numerous - studies showing that your reaction time is seriously affected (in a bad way) even after one beer.  The same goes for motor control, focus, and everything else that is important for driving.

Even one beer will make you a much worse driver - two beers makes you a serious road hazard.

I would have to look up the numbers, but I am fairly confident that most deaths caused by drunk drivers involved drivers that had had "only" one or two drinks.

There is a very good scientific reason why two drinks (or one in some jurisdictions) makes you legally drunk for driving purposes.  The push to lower the limit from 0.10 to 0.08 around the country isn't random, but is based on specific scientific research.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:37pm
So using that same logic(I know it doesn't fit perfectly, just the theory though) murder could be stopped by making the punishment scarier?

I think people drive drunk because they don't care, but let's think here, what does alcohol do to the brain? It impairs functions like motor skills, senses, and decision making skills. Would a pink license plate scare a  drunk person? No, they'd probably laugh at it. If you want to scare the offender into not doing it, think of the state they are in when the infraction would occur.

I do think the number of drunk drivers is a problem, I would hate to be in a wreck with one of them and be injured or die(same for friends and family members or just innocent people in general). But this shaming idea is just retarded in my opinion.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

So using that same logic(I know it doesn't fit perfectly, just the theory though) murder could be stopped by making the punishment scarier?

No.  It doesn't fit.  Murder is usually done for a reason.  Personal gain, revenge, hatred, or some other specific motive.

Drunk driving, on the other hand, is done simply out of laziness - people can't be bothered to make other arrangements.

And then there are moral considerations.  Most people don't need any punishment at all to keep them from killing others; their own sense of morality does that just fine.  For these people,  punishment for murder isn't really a deterrant either, since they weren't planning on killing anybody anyway.

In this country at this time, there appears to not be that general sense of drunk driving as immoral.  As a result, general deterrance may apply.

Quote I think people drive drunk because they don't care, but let's think here, what does alcohol do to the brain? It impairs functions like motor skills, senses, and decision making skills. Would a pink license plate scare a  drunk person? No, they'd probably laugh at it. If you want to scare the offender into not doing it, think of the state they are in when the infraction would occur.

The crime begins long before the drinking does.  Most drunk driving happens on the way home from bars, with drivers that drove to the bar knowing they would be drinking, and knowing that they would be driving home afterward.  That's the crime that needs to be stopped, and that crime happens while stone sober.

Quote But this shaming idea is just retarded in my opinion.

As with all things, it will work for some and not for others.  I can think of plenty of folk for whom the pink license plate would be far worse punishment than a fine, and vice versa.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:58pm
The crime doesn't occur "stone sober." The crime is when they actually drive. Yes, they set themselves up before hand, but it isn't illegal until they are behind the wheel, intoxicated.

Even with shaming, drunk driving won't stop. Might I ask, why are we so interested in drunk drivers today?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:04pm

Fine - I should have been more specific.  No "crime" has occurred until after the drinking has begun.  But the wheels are set in motion, and the intent is there.  The actual drunk driving is merely the culmination of a series of actions that could have been stopped at any time.

And how can you casually declare that drunk driving won't stop?  It has been effectively stopped in other countries.

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:04pm
I will not argue that science says that even one beer will affect certain parts in your body/brain.
What I do question is exactly how much. I would challenge that 2 beers makes a person a "serious road hazard."
I would like to take a "drunken road test" and see exactly how much my driving suffers, as well as test other factors in what exactly makes a drunk driver crash.
I have to assume that people who are better drivers sober are probably less likely to cause problems driving if they have a couple brews.
It's all about limits. If I have more than 2 beers, I just get someone else to drive (or wait a few hours, depending on the time of day). And I've never had a single person, sober or drunk, say that I was driving poorly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic