Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dont be drunk driving in tennessee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:09pm

Do some research - the science is out there.

I remember one test I saw on TV.  Not particularly scientific, but really funny nevertheless, and certainly memorable.

They had professional soccer players run a soccer obstacle course - dribbling, shooting, that kind of thing.  Very simple course.  Cones and a goal.

Then they started giving them alcohol (they also had a control group with placebo, but that group wasn't nearly as much fun to watch).

Even after the first drink their performance was visibly worse.  After two drinks, MUCH worse.  After that is was like watching slapstick.

But look around - seriously.  Tons of research has been done on the effects of alcohol on the body.

Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:15pm
In Turkey, if you're caught driving under the influence, you're taken 20 miles outside of the city, and you have to walk all the way back.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:17pm
I have seen a few studies, but most were relating to large quantities, and I know damn well not to drive after 20 beers or a fifth or whatever. I've done it once, and it's something that I won't repeat.
Perhaps I will have to research further.
I would also be interested to see the correlation between combining alcohol and marijuana and see how much that multiplies intoxication compared to BAC alone.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 3:12pm

A few links to review below.  These are obviously not the actual studies, and should be read critically, but they are indicative of the type of research that has been done.  They all deal with the effects of very small amounts of alcohol - in some cases well below the legal limit.  And, of course, there are many more studies than these.

http://alcoholism.about.com/library/weekly/aa021109a.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060721203820.ht m

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/upload/File/Just_One/Scientific%20Sum mary%20.PDF

Here is an actual scientific summary paper:  http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/research/pub/Hs809028 /Title.htm

As for marijuana/alcohol interaction, I am not familiar with the research.

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Tons of research has been done on the effects of alcohol on the body.

I participated in a self led study last Saturday.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Tons of research has been done on the effects of alcohol on the body.

I participated in a self led study last Saturday.

Sample of one?

TheSpookyKids87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Heh-heh heh-heh - You said "post"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSpookyKids87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:06pm
I think they should bring back the "stocks" for public shame.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

I personally drive all the time after having a beer or maybe even two, and it does not seem to affect my driving.

Says the guy behind the wheel, not behind the car.

I am also going to guess that when your driving in this condition, you may have had a short period of time for the alcohol to go through your system, your not driving 70+ surrounded by other, cars, bikes, trucks, and everyones grandma on the freeway.

And even if you are super driver. Not everyone else is as uber as you are. Dont believe me? Come visit Cali and drive some of the Los Angeles area freeways on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

Edited by Hades - 20 November 2006 at 4:52pm
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 5:16pm
Oh, believe me Hades... I've seen some really bad drunk drivers, and I've been in cars with sober people who I trust less than myself if I'm wasted.
I'm just saying I think that there should be various levels of punishment, increasing as your blood alcohol content does. Someone who drives after having a beer shouldn't receive the same punishment as someone who drives after they finish that 24-pack.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic