Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2x 98’s shoot hard soft hard soft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
w1f1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1f1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x 98’s shoot hard soft hard soft
    Posted: 19 November 2006 at 2:37am
hmm strange problem,
on 2 seperate 98's
1 custom, i orig.
both shoot very unreliably
they will shoot short, far, short, far, short
and sometimes have some co2 leakage
problems....
anyone know what is goin on here, and
also what a decent upgrade kit would be.
and where i can get some freakin valve lock bolts
those are poppin out all the time
Bandit5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 4:26am
What is the air setup on these guns?  Are you using remotes/Co2/HPA/X-chamber/regulators?

My first guess would be a problem with air flow screwing up the recharge rate.  Where the gun will be at full pressure, you take a shot, then take another shot before the pressure has fully recharged.  A couple things can cause this, mostly blocages in air paths.

Also, you might want to just clean out the valves.  I wouldn't reccomend an upgrade kit.  It would be better just to fix the actual problem.

Exactly which bolts are popping out?

Give us more detail and we can help you out.
Snick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:37am
By valve lock bolts I assume you mean the ones that are exposed on the right side receiver that are ment to hold the valve system in place?
w1f1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1f1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 3:09pm
yah the ones that snick said....
i have completely dissasembled both
and cleaned...
they are both co2, with stock drop forwards.
it has happened with my 20, 9, and 7oz tanks
i have not found a situation where it *always* happens
also does it with stock, and 14in barrels
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 4:16pm

You've stripped out the threads that hold your CVX valve in place . that will cause the symptoms you describe .

Get a new valve and dont be so brutish when you tighten them in , just hold on to the short end of the allen wrench , thats all the tighter they need to be . Most recommend using red loc-tite to keep the screws from vibrating out .

Good catch Snick !

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
Bandit5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 5:13pm
If they don't stay in place, then you stripped the threads in the valve and Shadowminion is right.

I do not reccomend using loctite on those because I always off my powertube assemly when I clean my gub after a game.  I do, however, reccomend you you just hand tighten the bolts and not torque them down to the point it will be hard to get off.  I have heard of this happening since I bought my first Model 98 over 6 years ago, yet I have never done it myself on countless different guns and too many time on my on guns to count.  It is not hard to NOT STRIP THE VALVE THREADS.  Just put them back in and they are fine.

But, since you already probably stripped them, you need a new one of these: http://www.tippmannparts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.pr odInfo&productID=379&categoryID=12

But taking your probable lack of experience with valve assembly/dissassembly, I would reccomend you buy this instead (at a very good price): http://www.countysports.com/shop/product.php?productid=2373& amp;cat=267&page=5
w1f1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1f1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:11am
why would stripped bolts do that?
just because they allow the valve assembly to slide forward and back every other shot?
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:24am

Originally posted by w1f1 w1f1 wrote:

why would stripped bolts do that?
just because they allow the valve assembly to slide forward and back every other shot?

Exactly! You get inconsistent opening of the valve when it can move from the hammer blow...sometimes sticking in place thus delivering the full gas charge, other times moving to soften the blow and reducing the gas release.

I would definitely us LocTite on the screws, but select the Blue (medium) strength. That will prevent loosening but allow easy removal when taking the marker apart.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 8:53am
Bruce for the win! If this doesn't take care of it (and it should, then you'd
have to take a look at the gas delivery system (bottomline, leaks, etc) but
I'm pretty sure these guys have it nailed right on.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 10:07am
I've used heli-coils as a field repair to get someone through the day- it's not ideal, but will work perfectly fine.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 3:42pm
P.S. you can get screws with a few more threads (just a touch longer) at home depot. That's where we got ours at the Den back in college when tippmann back-ordered them on us.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 5:11am

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

I've used heli-coils as a field repair to get someone through the day- it's not ideal, but will work perfectly fine.  

Heli-Coils done right should actually be a permanent fix. The next solution is to tap to the next size screw...and since these are blind holes, it will require bottoming taps to accomplish that.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic