FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Can you borrow me money?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Can you borrow me money?"
    Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:02am
"Can you borrow me money?"

"My mom was going to borrow me some money."

"...and after she borrowed me the money..."

Says my co-worker. Gah! LEND! LEND YOU DUMB... The word is lend. "Can you lend me some money?" How hard is that?

I also hear words like "Simular." I hate simular. I also hate it when a co-worker "axes" me a question. I just keep waiting for one of them to have some pasketti for lunch or to pace around their desk while holding their groin until I ask if they need to use the bathroom.

This surpasses all cultural and racial boundaries, and crosses the generation gaps. They all fall into the category of "Hit me with a stick until I stop talking."

Edumacation no's no bandrys.

Galm </\> Zero View Drop Down

Guested - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galm </\> Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:11am
Well then
For after all what's man in nature? A central point in between nothing & all, infinitely far from understanding either.

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:14am
They've been at it for years. This morning was just the final straw. Is it overreacting or having standards? Although I guess they have standards too. Just very low ones.

Guested - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galm </\> Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:19am
I wouldn't say it's overreacting to be bothered by it, that's human nature, but going on the forums and posting a thread on it is just a little bit of an overreaction, don't worry it's just venting.
For after all what's man in nature? A central point in between nothing & all, infinitely far from understanding either.

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:20am
It's more the vague support groups that form on here around a common annoyance or problem that I seek.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:22am

Overreacting? Oh hell no.

In fact, I say you've not yet reacted harshly enough.

being 'axed' questions as well as other common rapes of the english language which should have been readily addressed in the third grade are far too every-day in their use to warrant for passive recognition.

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:24am
I too, CANT STAND hearing borrow used in that manner. My X used to say the same thing, all the time... It would rouse a rage so distinct that it can not be misrepresented as anything less than pure hate.

I mean, it is complete disregard for the words usage.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:29am
My girlfriend often replaces there with it, does with do and 'and them' with nam.  One would think that after 10 months of correcting her she would get the idea.

Edited by Hysteria - 13 November 2006 at 9:30am
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:31am
Undermind: "Her efforts to help are actually underminding our project."

Pecular: "How very strange." "Yes, it is quite pecular."

Ecspecially: "I like those colors, ecspecially that one."

There are some others, but they haven't been used in awhile so I'm having a hard time recalling them. I may try engaging the worst offenders in conversation today in the hopes they'll give me more ammo.

FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:31am

I think it's a mute point...

^^That one sends me in to outer space... IT'S MOOT!!!!!

Oh, and irregardless IS NOT A WORD!!!!!!

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:32am
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

I think it's a mute point

lol Yes! I forgot that one. It's fairly common here too. Man, that bugs the crap out of me too.

Jack Carver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:33am
I don't think you're gonna learn them anything by getting mad about it 
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:35am
Misused words like the ones listed above are clear indications of going on context. The people are just repeating what they heard with out a ounce of a clue what they are actually saying, or, in their instance, mispronouncing.

Edited by *Stealth* - 13 November 2006 at 9:36am
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:57am
I usually hear "Can you loan me some money?" Instead of lend which drives me nuts. A new one that really bothers me is everybody drops the "g" sound from "strength" especially on network TV. It's now "strenth". I blame Bush.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:15am
I heard someone say "lenth" the other day.  I was tempted to maim a kitten.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:34am
A few that I found on-line:

Supposed to: Do not omit the d. Suppose to is incorrect.

Used to: Same as above. Do not write use to.

Toward: There is no s at the end of the word.

Anyway: Also has no ending s. Anyways is nonstandard.

Couldn't care less: Be sure to make it negative. (Not I could care less.) Bugs me to no end. Very common.

I find that when I point these things out to people that they get angry and ignore me, continuing to get it wrong out of spite. They feel I'm coming across snobbish or superior or something. I'm not attacking them. It's meant to help.

Edited by reifidom - 13 November 2006 at 10:35am

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:36am
That'll learn ya to hang out with those people.

Guested - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galm </\> Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:39am

Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

dat'll learn ya to hang out wif dem people.

fixed?

fixed.

Edited by Galm </\> Zero - 13 November 2006 at 10:39am

XenoSabre View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
o@_ _ _ <-- Snail with diarrhea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XenoSabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 11:17am
I live in Arkansas, so I've accepted that everyone here, with the exception of me, are language rapists.
Yes, it is a little bit annoying, but if you try to correct them they just call you names and continue to be morons.

More than anything, I hate it when customers refer to me as "Mane," "Pimp," or "Dog" when addressing me at work and the use of the word "is" as a substitute for the word "at" or equivalent.

Edited by XenoSabre - 13 November 2006 at 11:21am
[IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/Xeno-Sabre/kutaragi.png">
http://xeno-sabre.deviantart.com/
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Galm </\> Zero Galm </\> Zero wrote:

Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

dat'll learn ya to hang out wif dem people.

fixed?

fixed.

Nope.  "Learn ya" is a classic redneck-ism.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic