FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Death Penalty.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by battlefreak battlefreak wrote:

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

i saw a thing were this guy raped and murderd a 19 year old girl and during the court trial he kept winking and smiling at her father. So the next court date the father brought a 9mm rapped in newspaper and when the guy smiled at him he shot and killed him.
And I hope the father spends the rest of his life in prison too. Vigilantism is a bad thing. He killed in cold blood, he is no better off than the original murderer.
Thats a horrible position so far youve made good points but thats just ignorant.

How so?

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:08pm

Wow, i must say you were quick to rip this apart.

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

I think we should have a more money-efficent way of inflicting the death-penalty on someone, however.

It is not the cost of the killing itself. It is the appeals process that is expensive. The appeals process is what makes sure we are really sure we want to kill someone.   

I realize this, and i think we are taking the right action right now to deal with this were evidence is questionable, However, in cases where it is proven beyond the shadow of a doubt appeals should not be allowed under any cercimstances.  I know that most arent, but some still are.

The ways most killers murder is, lets face it, just plain brutal.  Why do they get a quick, fairly painless death?  And why should they be allowed to live?

Because we are not a bunch of mindless killing beasts. We should be the better person. Not to sound cliche, but two wrongs do not a right make. We are a civilized society.

This is just my own belief, as stated from the Code of Hammurabi: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth".  Weher or not you believe it, i dont care.

I think if we overcome the "leathal-injection" and move into more fitting and cost efficent death penalties, death for murder would be much more practical.

We have evolved past this as a society. At least I like to hope so. 

No comment... just.... no.

Yes, i know that right now it makes more financial sense to lock someone up for the rest of their life, but it just isnt a harsh enough punishment for what they have done.

People may not realize just how good a life people in jail have.  They get free college level courses, cable TV, and other typical life-luxeries.  They get medical care, and are treated nicely.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Treated nicely????

Honestly now. Guards yell at you and control everything about you.

Im tired.  Its late.   Im not thinking so well... you got this one.  But still, just ignore the "nice" part and i still have a fitting argument.

This probably seems like "yeah, okay, so whats your point?"  I just don't see how this is all that much of a punishment. 

You realize that criminals marked as "dangerous" are in-cell 23 hours of the day, right? Thats one hour a day you can be outside.

I stand my point.  They still get to live a life.

Sure, you dont get free choice over everything, but the person someone murdered will never get to do anything, enjoy any luxeries of life, ever again.

Which comes down to this, are we using execution as a means of justice and punishment or as blood-thirsty revenge?

If you think about it, isnt all justice a form of revenge?  Point well argued, my friend.

STOcocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Forum Halo Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STOcocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:11pm
I agree with Tae about prison NOT being a "nice place" like some of you say. Even if they get cable TV and college courses, you should try living a life where you don't get to make any choices. I am 100% sure that you will NOT like it.

Prison life is terrible.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:16pm

Originally posted by STOcocker STOcocker wrote:

I agree with Tae about prison NOT being a "nice place" like some of you say. Even if they get cable TV and college courses, you should try living a life where you don't get to make any choices. I am 100% sure that you will NOT like it.

Prison life is terrible.

I didnt say it wasnt, but there is still HOPE for you with this present justice system.  There is no hope with a death penalty, or someone who no longer has a life...

Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:19pm

justice

What!?!

I am undecided when it comes to the death penalty.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:20pm

Originally posted by Justice Justice wrote:

justice

What!?!

I am undecided when it comes to the death penalty.

ahh, your just trying to be nice... come and jump on the hate wagon with everyone else.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:26pm
I can honestly say if someone were to rape and kill my daughter (if I had one) and they smiled and stuff at me, I would kill them too.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:27pm
^^ Thank you ^^^
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:36pm
...Sigh...

Until you guys understand that prisons are not a TV-filled happy candy land, you will keep believing a fallacy.

Ok, run with me here.

Let's say that prisons were how you think they should be, whatever that may entail. Would you support life sentences over the death penalty then?

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 17 October 2006 at 9:39pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:39pm
I never said it was a wonderland, but its not nearly as bad as it should be.  Thats what I was saying.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:40pm
What should it be then? How much do you really know about federal prisons?

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 17 October 2006 at 9:41pm

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:44pm
I cant say that I know about Federal Prisons, but I do know of people that prefer to live in prison because they are afforded the luxuries that most people take for granted...like food, lighting, A/C, a semi safe place to live, etc. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:47pm
TV, weights, fitness, free food, all seem like things that we shouldnt give people who cut other's throats...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:48pm
I do not disagree Gatyr.

The relevancy to Capital Punishment is questionable though.

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

free food

Explain why we starve someone, then, or give  a practical way that every prisoner in the US can productively work for their food.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:51pm
They have a prison in Louisiana that the prisoners make their own food.  Angola, I believe.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:55pm
but it is still provided for them, no?
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:55pm
Well, since Whale already pwned this thread, I'll just say that the justice system is far too imperfect for us to rely on it to tell us if we need to kill another human being. And that's leaving the moral argument of rather killing the killer is right.

On that, you can quote the "eye for an eye" thing five times a day and it wont make it anymore relavent than 100 other quotes that say the opposite. How about Ghandi? "And eye for an eye leaves everyone blind"? Or Jesus? "Turn the other cheek"? Hell, you can quote the kamarabi and I can counter quote a million others but logic says that the eye for an eye thing just wont work. It leads to a never ending chain of reprisal killings. The ancient arabs knew that and they set up a whole system of compensation to stop people from killing each other....Most other cultures have realized that it just doesn't work too.....Morals disregarded....

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:56pm
They harvest every bit of what they eat.  They are self-sufficient.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

They harvest every bit of what they eat.  They are self-sufficient.

They do farm at the LSP, but it is not their only source of food.

The farm is more of a work-potential area than food gathering.

Once again, relevancy?
No good points have been put forth so far in pro of capital punishment.

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 17 October 2006 at 10:02pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic