Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cyclone chopping problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Argelmcgee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argelmcgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyclone chopping problems
    Posted: 16 October 2006 at 5:00pm
Let me give you my gun stats...
Tippmann A-5 with Response Trigger
Lapco Snapshot .687
Polished Internals
Special Ops A5A2 Stock
Pure Energy 68cu/4500psi HPA tank
Palmer Stabilizer Kit for A-5
Kingman Java Remote Coil

Not Important:
Redz Flechtech 4 + 1 Pod Pack
VForce Profiler

Paint for all of this: Origin Signature Series Paintballs

I had just polished the internals and the first time I played, it was excellent, everything working well, accurate, consistent and I had tons of fun. I ordered the stock, remote, pod pack and Stabilizer kit over the week and everything arrived on Friday, I set it up and played with it on Saturday. On Saturday, the ratchet for my Cyclone feed broke (the small tip of it snapped) which I hear is a common problem so I went and got 2 spare ratchets, installed one of them  with a lot of oil and was ready to test it all out on Sunday.

Sunday was very chilly, I think it was around 35 degrees in the morning (I live in New Jersey). Got ready, chronoed, played first game. One of my teammates chopped in his Flatline, which I didn't think was significant, but as soon as I took a few shots at the target range, I chopped. Then I chopped again, right after cleaning it out of the barrel. Many others around me chopped, and many blamed the cold. After a couple hours of chopping, playing, innaccurate shots, I got annoyed and tried to clean out as much as possible. I cleaned out the top of the Cyclone (where the star wheels are) pretty well but there was still a bit of paint in it, cleaned out the ball detent area and the barrel. This fixed it for a little while but pretty soon I started chopping again.

After the day, I got home and found paint on my front bolt, a bit on the power tube, ball detent area,  barrel adapter, barrel, Cyclone housing, and a bit in the bottom part of Cyclone (where the ratchet is).
Questions:
Would the cold have made the balls chop?
Would the paint left from previous chops contribute to more chops?
Would overlubing the Cyclone make the gun chop?

Any other ideas on why I was chopping?

If I clean out the gun and play on a non-cold day, will I have the same problems with chopping?

Thanks,

Argelmcgee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argelmcgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 10:41pm
Anyone have an answer? Sorry for double posting but I am getting ignored...
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 7:11am
Everything but the oiling could have contributed to your chopping , also the Paint itself could be partly to blame , Dimpled/deformed , thinshelled , oversized ?
SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argelmcgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 1:30pm
So the cold could have made it chop in the beginning, then the paint from chops in cyclone would make it chop some more?

I spotted a dimple on one of them but how would I know if it is thin shelled?

Didn't have a problem with it in warm weather.
a5king View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a5king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 3:39pm

How many drops of oil did you put on the ratchet?? you only need about 1-2 drops of oil..That could of been the problem that you over oiled it and it got inside the cyclone. Another thing, could have been the paint you were using. How old were they? Cheap paint also chops. dimpled and deformed balls will chop on you for sure.. Just make sure you clean the cyclone and barrel really well and make sure it's dry. and See if you still have the problem..

shut up..or i'll blast ur a$$....

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by Argelmcgee Argelmcgee wrote:

I spotted a dimple on one of them but how would I know if it is thin shelled?

Dimple = Bad.  This isnt saying that one dimpled ball could cause all these issue, but the ball dows show that the paint could have (most likely was...) been of bad quality.  Tippys arent known to go easy on bad paint, and this was most likely your issue.  Mechanical parts in general don't work as well/efficently in cold weather, either.  EDIT:  I just took a look back at your specs, and a .687 bore is medium sized.  This could mean that any mis-shaped or mis-sized balls in a bad case of paint could be breaking near the front of the barrel, say when the ball makes the transition from the actual gun to the beggining of your barrel.

Edited by Yomillio - 17 October 2006 at 3:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argelmcgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 5:24pm
Umm... I was chopping, not getting barrel breaks...
paintballinbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballinbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 5:48pm

chopping is a result of the cyclone not being able to feed fast enough(if at all). are you sure its still feeding, even after you replaced the ratchet? if so, too much oil in the cyclone could be your problem.

barrel breaks are also a very common problem, most linked to bad paint-to-bore match. if you put a ball into the barrel, and blow into the barrel, does the ball come out? if it gets stuck, the paint is probably too big for the barrel.

98 Custom
milled;painted;J&J Ceramic;X-Chamber;R/T;Cyclone.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 6:00pm

I dont know much about how cyclones work on the overall, but im willing to say that it wasnt the cyclone feeding to slow.  This leaves the front bolt's impact upon the ball, and the barrel to be where your ball broke.  If the ball is thin shelled, this could mean that it is being broken when it is struck by the front bolt.  Upon you saying that you had some paint in the barrel, on the bolt, and on the powertube, it really dosent narrow anything down as to a chop or barrel break.  A ball could break, as i said before, right where the gun "ends" and the barrel starts.  And you said many people around you chopped; this makes it more probable that it was in fact paint that was mis-shaped and mis-sized bacause i would highly doubt that everyone else would be "chopping", which is a very specific event where the ball dosent make it completely seated behind the ball detent and the bolt strikes it, causeing it to break from the force of the bolt pushing it against where it is coming into the gun from.  This is why i dont think you were chopping, it is highly unlikely that everyone would be having this problem.  So, i still think it was just really bad paint that was wayyy bigger than its supposed to be.

hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 6:39pm
If a lot of others were having problems, its pretty safe to say that the cold was the problem.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 8:25pm
okay, but what does cold do to the gun/paintballs?  I know it just makes things not work as good, but thats what weve been trying to pinpoint.
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 8:34pm

Makes the balls more brittle. Makes them easier to break.

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:19pm
okay... thats what i figured... more or less reinforces my point. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic