Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your internet connection sucks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mr. Blonde View Drop Down
Guested - Rudeness

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by mjicmike mjicmike wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde Mr. Blonde wrote:

wow... My Comcast gives me only 6Mbps + download and 350Kbps upload consistently. 

Something tells me you don't get a 6mb download speed per second....that's what Comcast claims they give you, but it's capped at max it's like.... 800kbs, and that was from a server here in Atlanta, where I live

In your area, its probably capped at that speed, here in California it is advertised at 6Mbps and I get 6Mbps.

I check my connections on a weekly basis at DSLreports.com and they are pretty consistent and most of the time it exceeds 6Mbps. Trust me, I pay $42/mo for a 6Mbps... I will get 6Mbps. I can always switch to the NEW AT&T Elite which gives you anywhere from 3-6Mbps down but not sure how consistent they are compared to Comcast.  But sorry to hear Comcast screws you over there in Atlanta.

Really pricey... my father got us a good deal it's about $60 a month for, Cable Internet, HD\Satelite TV, and a bunch of those HBO and FX added shows..and yeah T-1 isn't really that great, at my college we have a t-1 AND a t-3... the when I'm on the T-3 I can actually watch DailyEpisodes and they don't skip and go like they do on the T-3.. most likely because not as many people are on it, but still.

Edited by Mr. Blonde - 01 October 2006 at 1:53pm
-Tippmann A-5
-Flatline + Metadyne Shroud
-R.I.S. Foregrip
-X-Core
-JCS Aluminum Powertube
-JCS Hexagon Bolt
-Q.E.V.
-Vortex
-E-Grip
-Shocktech Drop\On\Off ASA
-Macro-Line
-Anti-Siphon C02
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 1:57pm

Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 2:15pm

wow... My Comcast gives me only 6Mbps + download and 350Kbps upload consistently. 

Something tells me you don't get a 6mb download speed per second....that's what Comcast claims they give you, but it's capped at max it's like.... 800kbs, and that was from a server here in Atlanta, where I live

There's a big difference between bits and bytes.....they tell you you will get a 6 megabit connection, which confuses a lot of people.  6 megabits sounds about right, what you do is 6 megabits = 6000 kilobits (technically 6144)....you take 6144/8, which is equal to 768 kilobytes...so really if you max out at 800kBs, you're actually for sure maxing out your connection.  a 350kbs will give you a upload speed of about 40kBs.  OMG COMCAST IS FOR SURE STEALING YOUR INTERNET, THEY ALWAYS LIE LOL.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 2:20pm

To clarify, there are 8 bits to a byte. Hence, 6144 kilobits divided by 8 equals your kilobyte number. The number you see in the download box (save target as) is always* in kilobytes.

If you test at Speakeasy, the big number is your kilobit download/upload and at the bottom of the screen it tells what your kilobyte download/upload is.

Edited by hybrid-sniper - 01 October 2006 at 2:21pm
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 2:31pm
Dang...that's fast...

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Mehs Mehs wrote:

There's a big difference between bits and bytes.....they tell you you will get a 6 megabit connection, which confuses a lot of people.  6 megabits sounds about right, what you do is 6 megabits = 6000 kilobits (technically 6144)....you take 6144/8, which is equal to 768 kilobytes...so really if you max out at 800kBs, you're actually for sure maxing out your connection.  a 350kbs will give you a upload speed of about 40kBs.  OMG COMCAST IS FOR SURE STEALING YOUR INTERNET, THEY ALWAYS LIE LOL.

those bastards.  im getting 455.9 KB/sec dl and 45KB/sec on my insight cable, but thats also wireless.
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 4:33pm

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Originally posted by Mehs Mehs wrote:

those bastards.  im getting 455.9 KB/sec dl and 45KB/sec on my insight cable, but thats also wireless.

It's not guaranteed service. Read their TOS.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic