Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

noob question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
**edited**ke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **edited**ke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: noob question
    Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:53pm
Hi all,

I'm walter, and i want to be a paintball sniper....

NOT

Ok, I've been reading these forums for quit a while now. To be honest, I wanted to be a sniper. After using that wonderfull search button I learned that there isnt such a thing in paintball. So after forgetting all the 21" barrel, 300fps, high accuracy, long range plans, I came up with the following loadout:
  • Tippmann 98c with qloader --> I hate that blimp on top and I want to stay low profile.
  • the tippmann RT
  • a 14" barrel --> I've read somwhere that these are accurate enough.. A smartparts teardrop maybe? Do j&j ceramics fit onto 98c's?
and later on:
  • aimpoint --> i've played with one, and I liked it.
  • stock, not sure which one
  • maybe a remote
Now after reading some more, i kinda started to like that A5 very much. Now I dont know which one to choose.. I have the cash, and a qloaded A5 looks very sweet (and most ppl like it more). So on this one, I have to make up my own mind. I'll just see which one i like most (havent played with an A5 though).

And my question:

Is this a good loadout for a noob paintballer? (I've played about 5 times). I'm more interested in woodsball. So 30 bps isnt a must . My aims are:
  • stay low profile
  • have a normal range
  • be accurate!!
  • shooting about 12bps will do for woodsball (right?)
thanks in advance guys

walt

**edited**ke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **edited**ke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 2:02pm
Why is my name edited? W-o-p.. is it a bad word  
pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 2:09pm
bps is overrated.

qloader on a a5 is a total waste of that nice cyclone feeder it has.

check out the lapco offset weaver sight mount, its not too bad for red dots

before people get all huffy about which is more awesome, 98 or a5, i will tell you the one actual reason the a5 is better.

that piece the barrel screws in on the front of the a5 is machined aluminum, pressfit into the receivers. (the fix to the 98 flaw)

98 barrel screws straight into the receivers. this is not ideal engineering, especially if you want to use a sight, because the low tolerances of cast aluminum result in off center barrels, the one flaw of the 98.

here's my a5 w/ lapco offset and holosight:
pic
Eat The Brisket
walter_24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walter_24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 2:30pm
I made another account because of the name editing stuff... didnt know it was a bad word. Sorry....

Pattison: But a cyclone uses presure doesnt it? Or is this minimal? And thats a nice setup you've got there. Thnx for the info :)

grtz
Walt
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by pattison pattison wrote:

bps is overrated.

that piece the barrel screws in on the front of the a5 is machined aluminum, pressfit into the receivers. (the fix to the 98 flaw)

98 barrel screws straight into the receivers. this is not ideal engineering, especially if you want to use a sight, because the low tolerances of cast aluminum result in off center barrels, the one flaw of the 98.

hmmm. i've never heard about that before. so the barrel on a 98 might not be straight dead on?

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 3:36pm

us-5 with a decent barrel

think about it you like all the features of the a5 but are gona remove the cyclone. plus you want 12 bps fully auto (which is perfect for woodsball) the us-5 is at least 10-13.

think about it, a us-5 electronic is $10 less than an a5.

so getting one would save you well over $100 maybe even $150.

with that you can buy the qloader system or a really good barrel

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 13 September 2006 at 3:37pm
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 3:40pm
w: yeah, the cyclone uses pressure, but the system has plenty of extra to achieve 300fps. are you asking if it takes more gas? this is always argued over. i think the cyclone takes a little extra, resulting in slightly fewer shots per tank. i have no data to prove this.

b: a lot of 98c's have this problem, a lot don't. dunno if it is serial number related. dunno if the 98cpro fixed this problem, but i doubt it.
slight dimension differences are unavoidable w/ casting, and with the split receiver this can translate into a few degrees of barrel misalignment with only slight differences in casting.
Eat The Brisket
estcstpnt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estcstpnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 4:46pm
Good job on the whole sniping thing. I thought there was going to be a big debate. We try to keep the sniping to minimum or there will be big debates and strikes and arguing. But before you guying buying all these upgrades you should play around with your gun first.
Thinking about it...
walter_24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walter_24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 5:38pm
the us-5? Isnt this some kind off cheap less qualitive version of the A5?
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 6:49pm

edit- it's a rascist term used to describe Italians.

Us-5 doesn't have a cyclone, that's the biggest difference. I don't trust imitators, though, so stick with Tippmann.

Edited by hybrid-sniper - 13 September 2006 at 6:52pm
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by pattison pattison wrote:

b: a lot of 98c's have this problem, a lot don't. dunno if it is serial number related. dunno if the 98cpro fixed this problem, but i doubt it.
slight dimension differences are unavoidable w/ casting, and with the split receiver this can translate into a few degrees of barrel misalignment with only slight differences in casting.

Well said. <3 Pattison.

Anyway...

Have you looked into a flatlined A5? Flatlines are enormously handy in woods play, since the trajectory of the ball is flat, you can shoot through the space between tree branches and ground growth where other guns would have to lob the shot and hit branches and leaves in the way.

And putting a q-loader on an A5 seems like alot of uselessness to me, defeats the whole purpose of having the cyclone, which is a very good loading system.
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 7:59pm

Ehh , other than the Cyclone being the "Wonder child of Paintball" I have to agree with Enos and Pattison , they speak truely .

Welcome to Paintball and the forums !

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 8:15pm
I'm sorry but I rather have a 98c over an A-5 anyday. Its that cyclone. Its huge for when play speedball, and there is no centerfeed or anything so I can mount a better hopper on it. The only other hopper available is the Q-loader which holds 100rd, wippity doo. I also love how 98c are so versatile. You can mill it so its pretty light, and make it into a pretty nifty speedball marker. The whole miss alignment and horrible threads don't really bother me.

Edited by jerseypaint - 13 September 2006 at 8:15pm
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by jerseypaint jerseypaint wrote:

I'm sorry but I rather have a 98c over an A-5 anyday. Its that cyclone. Its huge for when play speedball, and there is no centerfeed or anything so I can mount a better hopper on it.

Actually the cyclone feed with the hopper attached presents a smaller target. Its also shorter, and closer in to the gun body than a standard loader. Try it yourself if you dont believe me. I did it and took pictures of an A5 side to side and end-on with another gun and a standard loader back in the early days of the A5. The body of the cyclone itself is larger, but its close in on the gun. If you take a hit to the cyclone body, most likely you would have taken the hit in the shoulder or arm with a normal loader anyway.

As for putting on a "better hopper", define better? The cyclone easily feeds reliably up to around 20bps, and it doesnt even need batteries. Personally Ill take the cyclone any day. If you want to go past that 20bps for some ungodly reason, just slap a $12 exhaust valve from Clippard on the cyclone ram. That oughtta edge high 20s easily.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 9:24pm

exacty how is the us-5 a rip off?

in no way cheap with less quality.

and you act like tippmann is the only good paintball company hybrid.

but maybe you can aggree that buying a us5 and a qloader is better than an a5 with resopnse trigger & qloader. the fact that it doesn't have a cyclone is not the biggest difference. since hes getting rid of it anyways for the qloader, the us-5 is perfect. therefore he will be getting the same thing he wants in an a5 for much less.

rossy11223 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossy11223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 9:25pm
^This man speaks the truth.
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 9:30pm
Actually, I was gearing the profile next to centerfed markers. With centerfeed I can actually hide the hopper behind the bunker no matter which side I want to pop out. And I would actually prefer something belt driven just because I like screwing around with the max bps. Its really just me, but I actually am planing to start a whole new league on my ideas. These are my opinions and views, but I really have a hate for the cyclone (the flat front is the major target). When I play PSP ramping, its really difficult to keep my profiler small with the cyclone.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

and you act like tippmann is the only good paintball company hybrid.

That is not even close to what I said. I don't even shoot a freaking Tippmann anymore, so clearly I do have other tastes.

I said that I trust Tippmann more than a company that is clearly an "offshoot."

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 11:20pm

you mean an offshoot of tippmann?

cause pcs is nothing like tippmann if you knew anything about them.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 11:30pm

Offshoot, as in, immitator. I doubt the body design of the US-5 is accidental.

I'm not saying they are bad guns, I'm just saying I'd rather shoot a Tippmann.

Edited by hybrid-sniper - 13 September 2006 at 11:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic