FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paper anniversary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paper anniversary
    Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:54pm
How the year has flown by. My first wedding anniversary is coming up in less than a week now, and of course I was living in fear of what to get my wife. It had to be just right. Romantic and thoughtful.

Last month I had this idea, and until last week I wasn't sure it would be do'able. Having done some caligraphy in the past, and my wife having asked if I'd ever do more, I knew I needed to write our wedding vows in a nice, simple script, frame it, and give them to her.

Trouble was, I couldn't find a copy of our vows anywhere. They were just gone. I'd written them myself, and while I had a copy of about everything else I've written, those were missing. Worse, I couldn't let on that I was looking, and the clock was ticking. (Her friend and I eventually found them in an old e-mail account unused for a year and a half.) Worse still, I had almost no time to brush up on my lettering. I just had to practice particular letters over and over until it flowed well enough that it wasn't embarrassing.

It's like renewing our vows. It's the type or romance that she loves. It should win me points for ages...

I chose Copperplate Script from the Speedball Textbook. It's simple in design, and it looks nice for this type or writing. Blackletter Gothic is an awesome sytle of font, but not so great for non-WrathOfGod type stuff. I used Bienfang parchment, a C-5 nib, and Speedball Super Black India Ink. Good stuff. No clumps, no drips, and no bleeding.

Here is just the text on paper. Tomorrow I frame and wrap it, and Saturday I'll hand it over. The detail is a bit lacking in the line thickness, but trust me, it's there.

I know it may seem simple and a bit plain, but this is the result of some well intentioned effort. Her best friend has been my conspirator and is excited about it too. I have a terrible time waiting to give gifts, so I had to yap about this someplace.

[/sap]

Edited by reifidom - 12 September 2006 at 11:56pm

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:58pm
Can you sneak something about me into the vows?
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:04am
I could maybe add "and choop" after my name.

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:05am
Calligraphy is cool, my handwriting is worse than your average doctors as it stands.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:08am
I love the stuff. It's nice when you can get a line of text down just right. The wider nibs on some dark parchment can do some amazing things. It can bring a little class or some dark ages catholic church to your door.

Handwriting is falling by the wayside, but I enjoy it quite a bit.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:11am
Yeah, that lettering damn impressive
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:16am
Congrats on a year!!! May many more years together be in your future.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:19am

just a romantic way to tell her that you're cheap.

kidding

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:21am
Is it really cheap when you have no money to be miserly with in the first place? :)

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 12:24am
That is a pretty big word Reif, better provide a link to dictionary.com
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

That is a pretty big word Reif, better provide a link to dictionary.com

I think that should be a link at the top of the page.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:44pm
I have some of those fancy pens someplace. Lord knows they have no ink anymore....

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

I have some of those fancy pens someplace. Lord knows they have no ink anymore....

You've got to dip that pen man. Dip it! Ink wells are where it's at. No cartridge for this man.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:52pm
someone's gonna get laid
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

someone's gonna get laid

Me?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

You've got to dip that pen man. Dip it! Ink wells are where it's at. No cartridge for this man.

I know, I do not think I have any wells left.

You have to understand that my mom worked in a specialty office-supply/print shop for 20 years. Calligraphy material, drafting stuff, invitation printing. Not to mention selling, repairing, and re-filling high-end and antique pens.

I have tons and tons of the junk still left. Sadly alot of it is running out and I do not want to pay for any more wells or refills (the fountains I use most are cartridge style, I am lazy).

Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:55pm
I think it is great!   Congrats on one year.   I have the same problem, I can never wait to give a gift.  
"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 2:06pm
I love stationary and stationary supplies. It's like a bad habit with me. I can always find an excuse to spend more on a notebook or a nice pen.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

I love stationary and stationary supplies. It's like a bad habit with me. I can always find an excuse to spend more on a notebook or a nice pen.

Some of the stuff I have seen...is just plain excessive.

Why someone needs a solid white gold and saphire encrusted pen I will never know...

Good luck too by the way, I realise now i never said it. Best of luck and cheers for the future. My girl and I hit our 3 month today.

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 2:13pm
Thanks everybody, for the good sentiments. I may go ahead and do a rewrite this afternoon if I have the chance. I believe she has a meeting to go to, and that would leave me time to rewrite and go get a nice frame, engraved with the date.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic