FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For all You Laptop Geniuses... Help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For all You Laptop Geniuses... Help?
    Posted: 11 September 2006 at 12:28pm

The "other" thread was entertaining, but I need some more specific help.

I am looking for a Laptop for personal use and for business use.   I will need to be able to run internet via Sprint Card and/or Verizon Fios Wireless (what I have at the house), alot of spreadsheets (Excel based), I definately need Word and it will be used for very limited gaming.

I have this disease that I have to have the biggest and baddest of everything, but for this one time, I am actually going to set a budget up.   I want to spend < $1500 and preferrably closer to the $1000 number since in reality probably 95% of the time I will be playing Hold 'Em online, lol!.  

I am a computer moron.   I don't know the virtues of Duo Processing and the true ramifications of 68325 TB of RAM.   Please give me some advice as I will be buying/ordering in the next few weeks.

As an added limitation, I do not want any custom build manufacturers.   I am very low-tech and I want large company support.   I have access to Dell and Apple Stores as well if this helps.

Thanks guys.

"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 12:46pm
Im pretty satisfied with my ACER that was under $700.00. The battery is a little poor as far as having only a couple of hours of operating time. But since you will use it at home maybee that wont be a consideration since you will be able to plug it in from room to room.

Not sure if I helped any.

Edited by Justice - 11 September 2006 at 12:47pm

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 2:07pm
overall i have been fairly pleased with my HP laptop. it cost an arm and a leg but then again it was a desktop replacement. i doubt you need the power it has so i was just browsing their site for a low priced laptop. i ran across this.

hopefully that link works. point is there is no specific brand that works better than the other. it is all based on what hardware is included as well as what software you run(including the OS). just browse some sites that offer them or if you buy one in a store be sure to look for lower prices online. let's not turn this into a mac versus pc debate, just link some good products for a decent price.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 2:26pm

^^ I appreciate the input from both of you.   Thanks for reinforcing my desire to not have this turn into a debate... I generally am just looking to compile information and learn so that I can make a half-way informed decision.  

Keep it coming!

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 2:36pm
i do have a question, how heavy of a laptop are you willing to put up with, and would you settle for a 15" screen?

my HP pavilion notebook cost just over $2000 a couple years ago. with that it had a 3 GHz processor, 15" display, dvd burner, decent graphics card, and the media card slots were a nice touch since i am into digital photography. 80gb hard drive but that doesn't matter, as long as you can get to the drive to take it out, you can put whatever you want in it. i list these specs not to show off, but rather to give you a feel for where the technology has come. oh yeah, mine weighs about 9 pounds.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 2:51pm

I'm not really worried about weight, I would like it to be light, but I am not willing to double the cost of the machine in order to be able to half the weight...

Also, this will not be replacing a desktop... I have a desktop at my office and at the house and I have all my music on an external HD. 

With that said, I hate waiting for a machine to "catch up" so I beleive a fast processor takes precedence over a large memory.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 2:56pm
Obviously you know what I'd normally suggest, but I wont bother

On a more useful note, my friend has an Acer that he's using for his schooling, and something with it got borked, they didnt fix it right, so now Acer sent someone to his house to pick it up. He didnt have to drive anywhere with it, they picked it up for him. I thought that was cool, and have no idea if thats typical, and no idea how the laptop performs. I know he has trouble connecting to the network sometimes, but so do most people running windows around me.
Apotheosis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 3:06pm
Did a little poking around Circuit City's website and this is what I came across this.

Enos and others in chat agreed that gateway is a good company.  It is only $730.  It comes with a 802.11g/b wireless card which as I understand it, is the universal card.  Overall the rest seem about right for the price.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 3:14pm

Again, thank you everyone for your input, I am checking all the links as I see them.

In all of your opinions... am I better off purchasing direct from the builder (Dell, HP, Samsung, Gateway, Mac, etc...) or going through a retailer like Best Buy or Fry's?   It gets confusing because of all the options... it seems that the retailers often have a better price (below MSRP) than ordering straight from the manufacturer.

"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 3:22pm
I'd go straight from the manufacturer. Machines from retailers are sometimes out of date, have extra software, etc.

I know everyone saw this coming from someone, but a MacBook Pro would probably do everything you want it to. I'm pretty sure there's an ExpressCard version of the EVDO card out.
NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 3:39pm
Get a 12.1 inch screen. You will be better than everyone else.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 3:42pm
You can get a real nice HP for under $1000 if you customize it on the site. But Best Buy will sometimes run a special and you can get the same laptop in store for $100 less than the internet. Battery life for an HP is pretty good depending on processor speed and screen size(smaller the better)
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 3:48pm

Thanks... to everyone except for Dave... he ALMOST is "NOT Rocking" after that comment!

Hairball, the Mac Pro starts at $1999 so that immediately knocks it out of contention.   I was playing with a Mac Book at their store last weekend and it was nice.   Just different coming from a PC based system.

NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 4:32pm
Dell E1505. You can have a good one that'll do what you need to do for base price of under 1k
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 4:45pm

LOL!  I was just going through and pricing that very machine out of their website.

Dave has officially retained his "Rocks" title.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Rico's Revenge Rico's Revenge wrote:

Thanks... to everyone except for Dave... he ALMOST is "NOT Rocking" after that comment!

Hairball, the Mac Pro starts at $1999 so that immediately knocks it out of contention.   I was playing with a Mac Book at their store last weekend and it was nice.   Just different coming from a PC based system.

Tommorow apple is having a special event thing, so wait and see what its aboot.
TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 6:40pm
apples will run excel and word right? and you can play hold em on them

if not, id go with an acer or hp, not a dell

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by TEHGANGSTER TEHGANGSTER wrote:

apples will run excel and word right? and you can play hold em on them

if not, id go with an acer or hp, not a dell

What is that word that comes before Word?  Erhmm...  Oh yeah, Microsoft. Granted, I'm sure Macs have their own word processing program, they don't have Microsoft Word.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Apotheosis Apotheosis wrote:

Originally posted by TEHGANGSTER TEHGANGSTER wrote:

apples will run excel and word right? and you can play hold em on themif not, id go with an acer or hp, not a dell
What is that word that comes before Word? Erhmm... Oh yeah, <span style="font-style: italic;">Microsoft. </span>Granted, I'm sure Macs have their own word processing program, they don't have Microsoft Word.

You

Are

Retarded

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

You

Are

Retarded

Not too much I can say to that to redeem myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic