FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Daytrip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daytrip
    Posted: 09 September 2006 at 1:15pm
We're taking a small daytrip today. It's the first of what will likely be many.

Today's trip: Glore Psychiatric Museum

Sounds like a neat place. The 100,000 cigarette wrappers collected for an imagined redemption program, or the notes stuffed into a tv to communicate with the actors sound like my idea of a good time.

And where can I get that hampster wheel?

Edit: Oh, and kids under 6 get in free!

Edited by reifidom - 09 September 2006 at 1:21pm

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 1:21pm
odd...

i take that back and redirect it to dave.

Edited by High Voltage - 09 September 2006 at 1:26pm
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 1:23pm
I want to take a bath of suprise now...

NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 1:25pm
That looks pretty damn cool, I went to the Museum of Funerary Customs the other week.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

Oh, and kids under 6 get in free!

Sweet! I am so taking my new girlfriend that I meet at the playground. Her mother didnt seem to like the fact that I was her new boyfriend but that all changed when I gave them both a sucker.
TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 1:34pm
i wanna go

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 2:53pm
The history of treatment for the mentally ill (and even it's present incarnation) is some of the scariest stuff ever.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 9:57pm
That was a pretty cool place. We got t-shirts. There was plenty to see, including what was on the site.

They had plenty of the TV guy's notes up on the wall. It seems he was sure that the staff was spying on him and that he couldn't leave until he had proof against them.

The cigarette wrapper collector ended up with 108,000 wrappers, all in that case, in the belief that the tobacco companies would donate a wheelchair to the ward he was in. The staff went and got a wheelchair on their own.

They had plenty of bloodletting equipment and other "treatments" that were state of the art at the time, including the cold baths, and the calming chair. The chair was something they could strap you into until you calmed down. They could dunk your feet in boiling water while they put cold compresses on your head, or raise your arms to pour ice water down your sleeves.

There were plenty of restraint cages and stuff like that.

They had artwork done by patients, including this three by five foot sheet of embroidery done by a schizophrenic patient. She wrote all kinds of phrases on it that came into her fevered mind. It's like a massive example of freewriting.

All in all, pretty freaky stuff. $3 to get in. Not too shabby.

Edited by reifidom - 09 September 2006 at 9:59pm

pbdude985 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbdude985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 10:25pm
wow sounds like a pretty interesting place to check out
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 10:39pm
If I can find a good picture of it I'll post it, but they had a car and a truck that they let the patients customize. The car was a Monte Carlo that was bright yellow, called the Yellow Rose. The vents under the windshield, the dash, and side mirrors were wood, the roof was replaced by a beam running up and between the seats, like the old two panel convertibles. And the interior was very close fitting, with very well padded seating.

The truck was white with some intricate designs down the side, and they called it Jukebox Hero.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic