Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Creative Zen Vision...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creative Zen Vision...
    Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:07am
Since I have some spare change to throw around, I am thinking about getting a Creative Zen Vision.

Other options include the Apple 60 GB iPod or the Apple 30 GB iPod.

Thoughts? Or do any of you fellow geeks want to pipe up and put in your 2 cents worth?

Edited by Hades - 04 September 2006 at 1:07am
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:23am
heh... the pros(obviously comparing ipod to the vision): fm tuner, fm recorder, voice recorder via built in mic, larger screen, higher resolution, more colors in the screen, compact flash slot, file format compatibility(avi, divx/xvid, wmv for videos), longer battery life w/ larger batter upgrade available, removable battery, podcast compatible now, some might praise the sync function with outlook.. oh, and the built in speaker is pretty awesome.

cons: noticably bigger than the iPod, duh, no 60GB capacity, somewhat limited viewing angle, and that's about it.

in my experience i have noticed the viewing angle being a bit picky, but then again i watch it to see the video or picture on the screen myself, i don't have people gather around so it isn't a problem. i upgraded my battery to the larger one. i get 26 hours of music on it and they say 9 hours of video, i have reached almost 10 on a single charge. i used to listen to howard stern at school in the mornings with it, but he went off air so i haven't used the tuner since. the built in mic could be a little more sensitive IMO, but hey, it does a damn good job for its size. what i would really like to see is in-line recording.

all in all it is a great player, well worth the money for it. oh, and it will not sync/connect to a mac, just getting that out there if you planned on using one with it. personally with the rumors of a new version coming out i would wait to see what direction Creative heads.. i hear the new "Vision W" will be a 4.2" widescreen with a better viewing angle, 60GB capacity, and about, if not, the same price *obviously the 60GB will be $100 more than the 30GB model* so again, i would wait to see how creative plays it. but if you just can't wait, the current Zen Vision is fine by me.

btw if you want the iPod size, check out the Vision M

Edited by High Voltage - 04 September 2006 at 1:24am
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:24am
Don't get an ipod!!  DON'T DO IT.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
MilSimBaller View Drop Down
1 strike, language. 6/7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilSimBaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:30am
Dont get an iPod.  The screens are too delicate, you HAVE to use iTunes to download music, and the battery goes after 2-3 years and it costs about as much as a new iPod to get it replaced since it has an internal battery.  Plus, the Zen has better reviews everywhere you go...oh and if I'm not mistaken, its battery life is much better, it has more memory for the price, and has a built in tuner.
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:41am
i love my 60 gig ipod video...it has amazing battery life and amazing storage...although i wish they'd make a 100 gig...

but i don't actually watch videos or movies on it...it's a cool little bonus but when are you really going to watch stuff on the go that you need a device such as the vision

Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:52am
Originally posted by MilSimBaller MilSimBaller wrote:

Dont get an iPod.† The screens are too delicate, you HAVE to use iTunes to download music, and the battery goes after 2-3 years and it costs about as much as a new iPod to get it replaced since it has an internal battery.† Plus, the Zen has better reviews everywhere you go...oh and if I'm not mistaken, its battery life is much better, it has more memory for the price, and has a built in tuner.

Uhh.. you don't have to use iTunes to download music...

When comparing the iPod 30/60g video to the Zen Vision you are really comparing a music-first player to a video first player. And as HV said, Macs and Zens don't mix.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:54am
Thanks for the imput so far. HV, I have gotten pretty much the same review from others that I have asked. I am willing to wait till Decemeber to see if the price will drop or better model will be released.

Thanks again.

According to Creative's site, the 60 is out. http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=210&su bcategory=211&product=15752 Does it live up to your expections?

Edited by Hades - 04 September 2006 at 1:55am
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:58am
i just got a gigabeat f10 and its sexy
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 3:08am

Dont get an iPod. The screens are too delicate, you HAVE to use iTunes to download music, and the battery goes after 2-3 years and it costs about as much as a new iPod to get it replaced since it has an internal battery. Plus, the Zen has better reviews everywhere you go...oh and if I'm not mistaken, its battery life is much better, it has more memory for the price, and has a built in tuner.

The iPods do scratch easy, I'll give you that.

You DONT have to use iTuens to get music

The battery does not go after 2 years.

MilSimBaller View Drop Down
1 strike, language. 6/7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilSimBaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 3:28am
ok maybe not 2, but it did for how much i used it
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 3:36am

ok maybe not 2, but it did for how much i used it

Mine's fine, I've had it for several years. And what are you talking about iTunes only for downloads...
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 8:52am
I think he means that you have to use iTunes to put downoaded files on to the iPod. I don't like it either.
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 9:06am
I have and ipod video, and i like it, but i hate apple now. 

pros- itunes imports CD's really fast, unless of course youre getting your music by other means, its still okay.  The sound quality when you go from your CD player to an ipod is rediculous.  its an ipod?

cons- battery life isnt amazing.  the format sucks.  the more stuff you have on it, the longer it takes to load when you pick a song / movie.  Small screen, and watching stuff kills battery life. 

If i could do it again, id get a zen. 
PaintballkidEPS View Drop Down

Strike 2 - F-Bomb in Avatar (08/21)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballkidEPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 9:33am
my brother has a Creative Zen Vision.....2 actually and has never had problems with either, yet i have had problems with 3 seperate ipods, Creative Zen is deffinately the way to go
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 10:56am
iPod > Creative's attempt.

Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 11:32am
Get the Vision M. The vision M can handle lots of video types, while the ipod video has to be converted to a special format. I like ipods and all, but the vision m wins.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

iPod > Creative's attempt.

Wrong.  Creative > Apple.
Thatoneguy123 View Drop Down
...Who?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatoneguy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:15pm
I hate my ipod. I wish I never bought it.
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Roll Tide Roll Tide wrote:

When comparing the iPod 30/60g video to the Zen Vision you are really comparing a music-first player to a video first player.

The truth is spoken.

As the owner of a 60gb iPod....

The screen is not extremely large. It's fine for watching videos that aren't extremely long and that don't require lots of detail.

The battery life on the 60gb is good. I can easily get about 20 hours of music and over 3 hours of video, which is longer than the 30gb's. If you practice proper charge/discharge techniques, the overally condition of the battery shouldn't be an issue.

They do scratch. However, mine came out of the box and straight into a Contour Designs Showcase. I don't think it's ever had a fingerprint on its face. You can get clear skins for it, but be sure to go with a well-known one.

The video file format stuff is slightly annoying. There are several good programs that convert videos for the iPod without hassle. I've found that almost all of my videos are video Podcasts, which are already in the correct format, and full length DVD's that I personally ripped and would have to convert anyway.

Don't discount the iPod's popularity as a bad thing. I believe most, if not all, Scion head units interface directly with the iPod through the dock connector.

Don't forget about either player's video out capability either. I don't really plan on watching full-length movies on my iPod, since I can just hook it up to a TV.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:21pm
actually, they say the resolution on that Vision W is 480 x 272. i don't know if i would make the drop from my current 640 x 480 to that.

don't get me wrong, the WQVGA display is sexy and the 60GB hard drive would be nice, but that drop in resolution is a major turnoff. i like viewing pictures that i shot myself, they would look like ass on the new one.

Edited by High Voltage - 04 September 2006 at 12:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic