Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Ball Detent Inquiry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alexblaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Ball Detent Inquiry
    Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:52am
Took my new A-5 to the field today, worked perfectly fine except that balls would constantly keep rolling out of the barrel when gun was pointed down --not a steady stream of them, just 1 ball at a time.  I would run around, shoot, point gun down, and again, a single paintball would roll out.

I've done some searching and found that I should inspect to see if my ball detent is damaged, broken or even there, but before I do, I'd like to know what I'm looking for. (what it looks like, and procedure to tear down gun.)

How do I remove/replace part?  I don't have my manual in front of me but any help would be appreciated.

-alex
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:47am

ball detent is a little plastic piece near front of gun, orange, green  or turquise usually.

it could be in backwards refer to parts diagram. or missing... i doubt damaged. your a5 should have come with at least 1 extra

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:52am

Originally posted by alexblaster alexblaster wrote:

Took my new A-5 to the field today, worked perfectly fine except that balls would constantly keep rolling out of the barrel when gun was pointed down --not a steady stream of them, just 1 ball at a time.  I would run around, shoot, point gun down, and again, a single paintball would roll out.

I've done some searching and found that I should inspect to see if my ball detent is damaged, broken or even there, but before I do, I'd like to know what I'm looking for. (what it looks like, and procedure to tear down gun.)

How do I remove/replace part?  I don't have my manual in front of me but any help would be appreciated.

-alex

I would hope that by now you have actually looked at the manual. In the A-5 manual the part is referred to as the ball latch. It is the same part as the detent used in the 98C.

If you had thought about it for a minute you could have figured out what it likely was and that you could probably see it by looking into the chamber...the area into which the ball sits before it is rammed into the barrel by the forward moving bolt. Don't wait for others to tell you every thing about your marker. Inspect it and try to understand how it functions...how the parts interact with each other. This understanding of your marker will allow you to correctly trouble shoot and solve problems that might keep you from missing a day of play.

There is no magic or mystery to the marker. It is a straight forward mechanical design that is simple in function and logical in design. Look at the schematic and try to comprehend how it all works. Besides saving yourself a day of play when something goes wrong, you will save a bunch of money fixing things yourself...particilarly something as straight forward as the detent.

If it is missing, yes it can be replaced without having to disassemble the marker. A dental pick or a pair of forceps will allow you to push a new detent into the slot. If paintballs are falling out of the barrel when the marker is pointed down, there is little doubt that the detent is the problem.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 04 September 2006 at 1:55am
MilSimBaller View Drop Down
1 strike, language. 6/7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilSimBaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:55am
^^^word^^^
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:56am

Originally posted by MilSimBaller MilSimBaller wrote:

^^^word homie^^^

i strongly agree

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 04 September 2006 at 1:57am
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 9:44pm
a point
if you have a 98, or maybe an a5, the detents will tend to not work with a center feed and a halo, i think it was someone on th model98.net forums, you can mill and put in two detents, and itll work

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 1:06pm
As an update:

I took the barrel off the gun and immediately noticed the notch where the ball detent/latch should be.  It was empty, nothing there!

I called tippmann this morning they said they would send one out for free.

Thanks all.

-alex
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by alexblaster alexblaster wrote:

As an update:

I took the barrel off the gun and immediately noticed the notch where the ball detent/latch should be.  It was empty, nothing there!

I called tippmann this morning they said they would send one out for free.

Thanks all.

-alex

Alex,

You really should keep a couple of spares on hand in your tool kit that you take to the field whenever you play.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 7:48pm
hopefully, tippmann sent me out a couple.

what other spare parts do you recommend i keep around? i keep a couple o-rings around and now will stock a few detents as well.

where does everyone purchase these tiny little parts without feeling robbed?

-alex
DVLCHLD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVLCHLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 2:22pm
Buy your Tippmann parts from tippmannparts.com. Everybody I know buys thier Tippmann parts from that site including me and there's never a problem. Extra A5 parts I recommend keeping in your tool kit include-2 ball detents, 1 O-ring kit, 2 rear springs, 2 push pins, 2 reciever screws/nuts, and maybe a spare front bolt. Also be sure to keep tanks O-rings and some burst disc. Check out tippmannparts.com for all the parts. All these parts are very cheap. I ordered a whole bunch of stuff that only added up to $30.00 and it shipped via the USPS.

Edited by DVLCHLD - 09 September 2006 at 2:28pm
I've never seen anyone own the woods because of what marker they use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic