FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I had to DOR...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I had to DOR...
    Posted: 01 September 2006 at 7:04pm
Today after the first NROTC orientation meeting I thought about how my parents would take it. It was only then I realized how badly affected they are by stress. I also realized that their stress and negative feelings towards me would also cause me stress every time I would put on a uniform or walk into a Naval class. Unnecessary stress can lead to so many severe health problems that I thought it would be best for my parents if I did not pursue my dream of being in the military.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing else I'd rather be than a Marine right now. But I believe the health of our parents and loved ones should not be sacrificed for any of our desires. It's one thing for them to disagree, but to let my mother cry every night for the next 14 years (6 college and 8 minimum military obligation) is something I cannot live with.

Edited by Tolgak - 05 September 2006 at 12:37pm
GThomas View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Who are you again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 7:27pm
I am an Army ROTC cadet at the University of Rhode Island. First off I don't know if its the same for the Marine/Navy ROTC program, but for the Army you can do 2 years of ROTC with no cimmitment what so ever. If you don't have to commit right now then I really urge you not too. Try it out for 2 years and if you still feel as strongly about it then as you do now, then contract. There is no difference from a second year non-contracted cadet to a second year contracted cadet, you get the same training and the same classes. Joining the military is a huge desicion that should not be rushed into. Also the military scholarship is pretty much a joke atleast for the Army, it covers very little of your school costs so don't let that be a factor in your desicion making process. What is it that you want to do in the Marines? What will be your major? PM me if you have any questions on the ROTC program, I will be more then happy to answer any of your questions. I can only give you information from my point of veiw as an Army cadet, I believe the Navy program is extremely similar to the Army ROTC program.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 7:37pm
It appears you are SOL, sir.
Savior_six View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Air Force - Woot!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savior_six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 1:03am
I suggest doing ROTC if you are serious about the Marines, it'll help when you get in and (if it's anything like the AF) then you'll get rank faster when you join, as well as having a degree.

It sounds like you really want to do this but held back because of your parents. Personally, I say to bad for them. And keep up your PT, I did AF BMT and Marines basic is 3x harder. Make it and I'll respect you more especially since you play paintball. Best of luck.

Amn Tuckey, Ken
                                    741 MSFS Malmstrom AFB
                                    Got Nukes?

Team Salem, Kuwait 08
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 1:35am
Toldgak: Before you make any decision it sounds like you need to find out exactly what the scholorship has to offer. While GThomas seems to have had minimal luck with the Army, my son got the Navy to pay full tuition and a stipend while he's going to school and one of my friends son's ended up with an Army scholorship that seems to fall someplace in between these two extremes. I think if you do a little research you may find there are numerous options to consider. With that said, while I won't tell you what I think you should decide, I will tell you the process I think you should use if you have the time.

• Find out exactly what the Navy will do for you.
  • Remember (as GT pointed out) that you can join ROTC non-contracted, but there are disadvantages to this
    • You do all the ROTC stuff, but get minimal assistance from the military for school
    • You still have to decide if you want to make a military committment by your third year
    • You will definitely piss of your parents
  • Consider that if you take a scholorship from the military that once you attend your first day of your second year you belong to them no matter what: If you don't make it through the program as an officer you will owe them enlisted time.  (I know for sure the Army and Navy work this way, I'm assuming the AF does as well.
  • Do you really want to do a military career?
    • Weigh that desire against the need to not alienate your parents
    • Keep in mind your time in the military could be very trying if you don't really want to be there.
You're an adult, you're free to make your own decisions, but there will always be people throughout your life who will try to influence those decisions.  Those people will have a varying degree of control over you which will affect the success they have in getting you to act how they want.  It can vary from parents who "cut you off" for joining the Marines, to bosses who threaten to fire you for being late, or even (possibly) a commander who could put you in the brig for failing to follow orders. Remember that the decision is still ultimately yours after you weigh the risks and rewards.

When I enlisted in the AF, my parents were not happy and tried to talk me out of it.  They kept trying during my first few years in.  They eventually got over it and I spent a little over 23 years doing stuff that I enjoyed.

Savior_6: So your stationed at Malmstrom? I retired out of there. If you've ever been out to the Awesome Paintball field near Simms, we've probably traded paint.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:18am
I'm a Marine. Nothing in the world would make me want to be anything else. If they dont like it then oh well. If there is no changing their mind then dont tell them. What they dont know cant hurt them. Also dont sign the contract to make a commitment if they dont make you. I'm enlisted, not an officer so I dont know much about the NROTC. But I think in the summers you may have to do some training.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

But I think in the summers you may have to do some training.

And that's when they'll find out. Then they'll pull the classic "Why didn't you tell us earlier?"

As for the scholarships. I've talked to tons of ROTC kids and they all say that if I can keep a 3.0 this semester, then my scholarship can start in the spring of this year.

Thanks a lot for your help but I still need to know how I'm going to present this to my parents. I really want to tell them early so they wont be hit with the news long after I'm in it.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

I'm a Marine. Nothing in the world would make me want to be anything else. If they dont like it then oh well. If there is no changing their mind then dont tell them. What they dont know cant hurt them. Also dont sign the contract to make a commitment if they dont make you. I'm enlisted, not an officer so I dont know much about the NROTC. But I think in the summers you may have to do some training.

Yes you do. My son has had a summer "cruise" between every year of school. The shortest was about two weeks and the longest was almost two months.

Tolgak: As for presenting this to your parents my recommendation would be to just tell them. As a parent, I have always viewed the "rying-to-get-dad-in-a-good-moo-to-hear-this technique as being somewhat underhanded and sneaky. Using this on me gets me in a bad mood (translation-less receptive) to start with. I would rather have my kids just come out and tell me. I may still be upset, but I will respect their approach.

When you tell them, try to have a rough plan of what you're going to say.

• If you just want to try ROTC without the commitment then tell them that.
  • If you feel a duty to serve your country and want to make a commitment now, then they need to know that also
Thinking through before you broach the subject shows two things.
  • You've put thought into the decision and it isn't just a whim.
  • You did consider their feelings towards this in your decision.
Whatever you decide, good luck. There are/have been a lot of military folks in my family and I have the utmost respect for anyone who considers serving in the armed forces.

Edited by Mack - 02 September 2006 at 11:47am
GThomas View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Who are you again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 11:51am
As for the training in the summer you have a few different options. If you start with ROTC classes  the first semester you are at school, then you would not have to do any summer training untill the summer between your junior and senior year and thats after you contract. If you join ROTC later in college then you will have to train during the summer ussually between sophmore and junior year  to make up for the classes you missed. Basically there are 2 camps one is a basic camp that is 5 weeks long and that is for kids who joined later in college. The basic camp is basically the first 4 semesters of ROTC compacted into a 4-5 week camp. The second camp which all cadets attend after they contract is an advanced camp that tests you on everything you have learned in ROTC. Now this is what it is for the Army and I assume that its the same for the Marines. Also we have the choice of going to professional schools, Air Assualt school, Airborne school, Northern Warfare school in Alaska, Mountain Warfare school in Vermont, etc. But you have to be contracted to attend any of the camps.

As Mack stated apperently NROTC does offer full scholarships. I have a 3.86 GPA, and the Army offered me a $7,000 scholarship, when it costs me close to $30,000 to go to school. That amount of money was not even close to an incentive for me to contract. So look into how much you could get on scholarship. That scholarship offer will always be there as long as you keep your grades up. The second you take the scholarship is the second you contract.

Edited by GThomas - 02 September 2006 at 11:51am
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 1:12pm
Do you think the best option is to go non-contractually and wait until I'm eligable for full scholarship to contract?

Edited by Tolgak - 02 September 2006 at 1:22pm
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 1:57pm
Its the marines... they pay you, you'll be fine. Tell ol' mom and dad to shove it, if its really what you want to do.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

Do you think the best option is to go non-contractually and wait until I'm eligable for full scholarship to contract?

Besides annoying your parents, adding extra school work, and the opportunity to enjoy morning pt, what would you get from doing this.  (Books, tuition assistance, a stipend, etc?)

Of course if you just really want to be a Marine, go for it. Hooah!*

*Also spelled/pronounced huah, hoohah, hooahh, etc.

Edited by Mack - 02 September 2006 at 2:58pm
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 3:06pm
This is a response I put in the Tinker's Guild about why I want to do it.

It's not about rebellion from my parents, being unsure about my life, or wanting to kill people.

What I want is a challenge. I want to do something few people can say they have done. Being a Marine is something I would take a lot of pride in and it would really boost my self-esteem.

Besides that, having an Aerospace Engineering degree and being a pilot for the Marines and graduating out of the school I'm going to will open up tons of opportunites for me when I am discharged later on. I checked on some sites and apparently some military branches offer training for starting small businesses. So having the training of all three (flying, engineering, business) plus my desire to succeed in life could have me starting some sort of business when I get out that involves for example, designing aircraft.

I didn't say this in the guild but it would also be a good feeling as a pilot knowing that you fly (in the current conflict) to protect the people on the ground. And helping preserving the lives of our troops is also something I would love to do.

Edited by Tolgak - 02 September 2006 at 3:07pm
GThomas View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Who are you again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 3:09pm

I think so. But look at ROTC as a career choice, not just as a way to pay for college. Would you still do ROTC and go into the military even if they did not pay for any of your schooling? Once you are contracted, regardless if you applied for a scholarship or not, you do get some money (how much depends on your GPA) from them to put torwards school. So you will get some money from them. The military science classes fulfill your elective requirements so its not like the classes won't count for anything. They are just like a normal class and count for a normal number of credits (3 credits at my school). I don't have to take any electives because my ROTC classes were my electives. I really think its best to try the program out before committing to it. What if you contract and then realize the military isn't for you. Not only are you stuck doing it through out college but for 4 years after college. Play it smart don't rush into it.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 3:17pm

It's not about rebellion from my parents, being unsure about my life, or wanting to kill people.

What I want is a challenge. I want to do something few people can say they have done. Being a Marine is something I would take a lot of pride in and it would really boost my self-esteem.

Besides that, having an Aerospace Engineering degree and being a pilot for the Marines and graduating out of the school I'm going to will open up tons of opportunites for me when I am discharged later on. I checked on some sites and apparently some military branches offer training for starting small businesses. So having the training of all three (flying, engineering, business) plus my desire to succeed in life could have me starting some sort of business when I get out that involves for example, designing aircraft.

I didn't say this in the guild but it would also be a good feeling as a pilot knowing that you fly (in the current conflict) to protect the people on the ground. And helping preserving the lives of our troops is also something I would love to do.

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this.  You explained your reasons well and they make sense. Now all you have to do is reach a decision.
GThomas View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Who are you again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 3:17pm

So you want to be a pilot? We share similar interests. I am trying to get into the aviation branch of the Army and fly helicopters. You will be going up against some major competition trying to get a slot in flight school. Currently the US military has more pilots then planes. You will need to have a near perfect GPA to get a slot in flight school and then you have to be within the top 10% of your class to even dream of getting assigned to fly fighters. Most people either wash out, or get stuck flying less glamourous planes such as cargo planes or utility helicopters. I have 2 close friends in flight school in the Navy right now, and a good friend, our neighbor when we lived out in San Diego, was a top gun instructor. If you really want to fly fighters for the Marines you have a lot of hard work in front of you.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Besides annoying your parents, adding extra school work, and the opportunity to enjoy morning pt, what would you get from doing this. (Books, tuition assistance, a stipend, etc?)Of course if you just really want to be a Marine, go for it. Hooah!**Also spelled/pronounced huah, hoohah, hooahh, etc.

hooah is army...

Marines is oooooh-rah.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this.  You explained your reasons well and they make sense. Now all you have to do is reach a decision.

The decision is made, what's preventing action is parents. I'm thinking of a way to tell them what good can come out of it. Not the cliche responses like "I'm serving my country" but this:

For those of you who don't know, my heritage is Turkish. I speak it fluently and read it quite well.

I can tell my parents what the ROTC Marine officer told me here, that speaking Turkish will more than likely get me stationed in Turkey. And being stationed in Turkey, I can find a Turkish wife.

Something like that my dad will fall for. My entire response is in the works now but if I can get enough info out of some of my friends in ROTC, I will tell them before Tuesday.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 5:39pm

All I have to say is, If you do go through with the Marines, your parents should be cool with it. If you do sign up just say something along the lines of "This is what I want to do, If you cant accept me for who I am and what I want to do, then so be it." And you could also add in that they are disowning you over something like this. Its not like you are doing anything bad or anything.

They're probably just afraid that you are going to be sent to Iraq and die.

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 5:45pm

Trade leaders with Canada. That way the Middle East gets ripped apart but we arnt to blame.

But seriously, unless it gets out of control we should make someone else take care of Iran.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic