FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I had to DOR...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 7:13pm
Sounds like you respect your parents so just be honest. I doubt you have to worry about your dad having to 'fall' for anything if you just let him know why you are doing it.  He may not like it, honestly most parents probably wouldn't LIKE it considering their kid will be in active duty, and telling him sooner is a good idea, no fun walking around with that sitting in your guts..good luck!
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

Sounds like you respect your parents so just be honest. I doubt you have to worry about your dad having to 'fall' for anything if you just let him know why you are doing it.  He may not like it, honestly most parents probably wouldn't LIKE it considering their kid will be in active duty, and telling him sooner is a good idea, no fun walking around with that sitting in your guts..good luck!

Believe me, I'm getting butterflies in my stomach as I wait for tomorrow when I get all my information and my advice organized. Scratch butterflies, it's more like there's bats in my stomach.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 12:53am
It's settled. I talked to my dad and he basically says this.

I don't respect your decision, I think the military is wrong. I will be heartbroken if you join. But you are 18 and it is your choice what to do from now on. Regardless of what you do, you are my son and I will still love you and support you with whatever you need to do.

So that means I can join without worrying about loosing my financial support or my love from my parents. Though my dad will be disappointed, he will come to accept it as he has in the past. Unless I have any second thoughts, I will become a Marine.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 8:26am
Well now that its settled. You should so join the Marines.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 4:27pm
Good on you, Tolgak. It takes a lot of moral courage to consider joining in the first palce. To do so in the face of outright opposition form your family and potential meterial hardship is even harder, but you've taken that hurdle and I salute you for it.

There are people here far more qualified than I to offer advice on your particular program, so I'll simply leave you with my best wishes and my hope that you'll go this route and join the brotherhood of arms. Good luck.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
HOInfantry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 6:13pm

Dude...

I'm telling you, go in as an officer. I love the Corps. I don't regret my decision at all. But if I could go back, I wouldn't do it over again either. But then again...you couldn't pay me to go back either.

But be an officer. Just...just be an officer. More money. More power. Less crap.

"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 8:37pm
officer man

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 10:00pm
Yea, it's going to end up being PLC. No Crucible for me.

As for my parents, now my mom knows, and she's pissed too. They think I'm going this to be a rebel. They couldn't be more wrong. They think that every military person I've talked to on all the forums is a recruiter that travels those forums for the sole purpose of recruiting people. They think that I've been brainwashed by all these kids here that are in ROTC. And they're using guilt over logic to keep me from joining. I wish they could just accept who I am and what my desires are and stop stressing over it. I don't care if this could be the worst experience of my life, this is my choice. I don't understand why they don't understand me.

I got a threat from my mom to pull me out already. If she wants to screw me over like that then I think she's the one who's crazy.

It sucks that I have to go against my parents on this decision. I never intended it to be this way. The only way I can prevent the negative feelings now is to say no to my parents, and stop thinking about it.

Edited by Tolgak - 04 September 2006 at 10:00pm
HOInfantry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 6:39am

Okay...

I'm telling you straight-up...I'm not a recruiter. I could care less if you join the Corps. It's fun. It sucks. You'll have good points and bad points. But the good outweighs the bad though sometimes when you're on a 12-mile forced march in WPNS Company (.50 cals, Mark 19s, Javelin, Mortars, etc) you'll hate life...

And the Crucible ain't crap. You get like 10hrs of sleep and four meals for two days.

"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 12:37pm
Upadate. (See first post)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic