Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

atheism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: atheism
    Posted: 21 August 2006 at 3:57am

Ok. I got to thinking today and thought, is there really such thing as an atheist? How can you believe there is no god? Maybe if you were raised from day one that there is no gods. But a lot of atheist's are usually ex-catholic or ex-hindu or used to be in a different religion. Now if you were taught there is a god for most of your life and you just suddenly decide you don't believe in gods one day, isn't that just ignorance? How can you believe there is nothing when you know there is? Let's hear some thoughts.

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:05am
I'll break my points up for ease.
1. I am an atheist, and it is infinitely easier for me to lack a belief in a 'god' than to suspend my intelligence.
2. Aren't you just baiting people? I mean:
Originally posted by bassist11 bassist11 wrote:

Now if you were taught there is a god for most of your life and you just suddenly decide you don't believe in gods one day, isn't that just ignorance? How can you believe there is nothing when you know there is?
Obviously if they come to the conclusion that there is no god, they are not ignorant, they made a concious (and logical) decision.
3. Question for you: How do you reconcile your belief in something that you cannot prove exists?

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 21 August 2006 at 4:06am
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:09am

were you anything before you became an atheist?

and you kind of are ignorant if you knew there is a god. you can't unlearn something. you can try and push it away and forget about it but you can't unlearn it. you have knowledge that there is a god and you deny it. ignorance.

Edited by bassist11 - 21 August 2006 at 4:14am
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:10am
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

1. I am an atheist, and it is infinitely easier for me to lack a belief in a 'god' than to suspend my intelligence.
2. Aren't you just baiting people? I mean:

Now if you were taught there is a god for most of your life and you just suddenly decide you don't believe in gods one day, isn't that just ignorance? How can you believe there is nothing when you know there is?
Obviously if they come to the conclusion that there is no god, they are not ignorant, they made a concious (and logical) decision.
3. Question for you: How do you reconcile your belief in something that you cannot prove exists?
Good points. I've been having a hard time with religion lately. I really don't know what to think anymore.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:14am

were you anything before you became an atheist?
I was a general deist.
I was raised in a house where free thinking was encouraged, my parents did not push either atheism, or any religion, except some judaism, from my fathers side.

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 21 August 2006 at 4:14am
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:16am

so you had knowledge of a god but you just didn't care.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:18am

so you had knowledge of a god but you just didn't care.

I had knowledge that other people believed in magic. I simply couldn't figure out what posessed other people to ignore any semblence of logic.
My most vivid memories of grade school are debating with other tiny kids about why they believed the way they did. None of them ever provided a sufficient answer.

EDIT: Why do I smell troll?

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 21 August 2006 at 4:18am
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:23am

but atheism isn't logical either. how can you prove that there is no god?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:30am

I put forth the argument that it is less logical to structure your life around a belief which has no backing. Why constrain yourself, and be deluded with false hope, with no compelling reason.

and you kind of are ignorant if you knew there is a god. you can't unlearn something. you can try and push it away and forget about it but you can't unlearn it. you have knowledge that there is a god and you deny it. ignorance.
No, Ignorance: "the lack of knowledge or education"
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 4:50am

even though i don't like the name, i am an athiest as well.  it makes more sence to make up a story about "god", than for it to actually happen. 

Noah's Arc for example.  He got 2 of every single animal from all over the world into a boat that HE ALONE built.  What did the carnivores eat if there where only 2 of each animal?  Where did they poop?  What prevented the deformities of inbreeding?  Logical christian answer would be "god watched over them".  Well, How come god isn't watching over us now?  Why are children born retarded and not offered a complete life?  Why are people supposedly sent to hell for an eternity of nothing but torture and pain, but then god still loves them?

When i was a kid, i thought God was real.  I also thought Santa was real, as well as the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and everything on TV.  Did anyone tell me they didn't exist?  No, i figured it out myself.  I did the same thing with christianity. 

Sorry about sounding bitter, guys, but i don't like to be called ignorant.  Beleive what you want, i don't mean for everyone to convert.  I'll respect your choices if you'll respect mine.

X
Destruction View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destruction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 5:17am
One thing that's always irked me is: Where did God come from? How did he come to be?

I've gotten a few different answersin the past, but I'm interested in yours, bassist. By the way, if you're going to use the answer "He was just there" could you explain it a little bit?
u dont know what to do ur getting mottor boatted

Men are from Magmar, women are from Venusaur.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 5:20am
Taken from the HHGG: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
uruz6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uruz6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 10:50am

How do you reconcile your belief in something that you cannot prove exists?

Very good point you have there. Personally, I'm an Agnotist, don't know, don't really care... But my brother however is an Athiest and he has brought up many points before. Just because most of us were indeed raised in a church, it dosent mean that we're all going to believe in God. Ever heard the saying, "Don't believe everything you hear." When you read the bible everything sounds like a bloody, gruesome fairy tale, not some story of life's creation and "heaven on earth", if you will. But then again, I'm a strong believer in life after death and the supernatural. There are things in my life that have happened to me that make me be an agnotist and nothing more or less so tis hard for me to come to any kind of a conclusion.

The main beef I have with "God" and "Heaven and Hell" is that if the God were any kind of a father he would love all his children as equals. Sending some to heaven and some to hell is simply playing a game of favourites... Why would any true father wish to send his child to an etrnity of horrible suffering while sending others to an etrnity of happiness? Anyone else agree with me on this point?

I once heard this joke from a friend of mine,
"God says that he can do anything and makes NO mistakes, so with this said he could microwave a burrito SO hot that he, himself, couldn't eat it until it cooled down. But if this is the case then he wouldn't be able to do something and he's either lying to us or he dosen't exist."
Yes, its meant to be funny but its horribly accurate. It got me thinking actually, sad but true.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 10:58am

Hard to disagree with that...

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:42am
As I scanned your post, my impression was that your basically asking, for those that were once believers in God, why have you changed you mind?

Does Santa Claus ring a bell?
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:45am

That's obviously completely different, Hades.  Obviously.

Duh.

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:49am
Search on google for Digg.com Penn Teller bible is

It should bring up a link for a video that gives plenty of good reasons to be atheist.
Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:56am

So, let me get this straight, you don't like being called ignorant... but this comment is fine?

How about this... if you don't believe in God... don't push it down my throat or insult my intelligence or suspension thereof.   In return, I won't push my deism down your throat or call you a moron.

Edited by Rico's Revenge - 21 August 2006 at 1:51pm
uruz6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uruz6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

As I scanned your post, my impression was that your basically asking, for those that were once believers in God, why have you changed you mind?

Does Santa Claus ring a bell?

I don't know, I kind of like his way of thinking with that, mainly for the humour aspect of it however
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 1:51pm

Originally posted by uruz6 uruz6 wrote:

The main beef I have with "God" and "Heaven and Hell" is that if the God were any kind of a father he would love all his children as equals. Sending some to heaven and some to hell is simply playing a game of favourites... Why would any true father wish to send his child to an etrnity of horrible suffering while sending others to an etrnity of happiness? Anyone else agree with me on this point?

God doesn't send people to hell. Their own actions send them to hell. That's why god still loves those people.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic