Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God I suck (linux).

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apotheosis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God I suck (linux).
    Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:53pm
Due to problems I discussed in a thread earlier this week I went ahead and got Linux.  Before you jump down my throat about starting another linux thread I will go ahead and tell you I have wasted at least an hour and a half searching for the answers.  I have looked at previous threads and have been all over wiki and have 10 different tabs open because I keep going back and fourth trying to do this myself.  It isn't working.  Perhaps someone on here can help.

I think if you just tell me where to enter the "sudo" commands, I can get the rest.  I am trying to enable my broadband and found the corrosponding part of the wiki article, but I have no idea where to enter the information it gives me.  I tried the Synaptic Package Manager, but when I attempt to reload after typing in the nessicary stuff it gives me a bunch of errors.  What the hell am I doing wrong?

BooksAndLeaves View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:54pm
you enter commands into the terminal
01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 3:00pm
Now how about telling me where to find said terminal.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 3:20pm
run gnome-console (or Konsole in KDE)

or

look under accessories

or

look under system

Any of those three should work.

When you get the terminal open, try this and tell me what it does:  sudo rm Z:/  (don't actually do that).

Edited by WGP guy2 - 13 August 2006 at 3:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 4:18pm
Found it in applications, thanks.

Ok, maybe I can't get it from there.  I was using this to try and get my broadband to connect, but I can't get it to work.  When I type in the first line of coding and hit enter so as to start a new line it tells me "Resolving easylinux.info... failed: temporary failure in name resoulation."  Which kinda makes sence since I can't connect to the internet. Then I tried typing all four lines on one line so I would not have to hit enter and it came up with a bunch of errors.  I am so lost.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 4:23pm
Do you use AOL or DSL?  Because that is what you are trying to configure.  Since you are running ubuntu, the easiest way to configure the internet is to do this.  Open up the terminal and type:  sudo network-admin

That will bring up a program to configure a modem, wireless card, or ethernet card.  Couldn't be easier.  Furthermore, are you using 5.10 or 6.06, because you gave a link to the 5.10 guide.

Edited by WGP guy2 - 13 August 2006 at 4:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 4:31pm
God I am so pissed.  That is all it took and here I am trying to figure it out on my own for quite some time.  Yeahhh... uhm I am using 6.06.  Like I said I wanted to be sure I searched and looked as hard as I could before I asked, and I found that link in a previous thread.  Wow, talk about time wasted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 5:52pm
I still fail. 

I finally got my internet working through broadband, but I still can't get it to pick up the wireless.  I went to that place WGP told me to, which is how I enabled my direct connection, and it says the wireless is enabled, but I still can't connect using that.

I have another problem as well.  When I tried to install apps via the wiki help guide (yes, this one is 6.06) it keeps giving me this error:

E: Type 'sudo' is not known on line 38 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 6:59pm
For wireless, you have to deactivate it first.  Then go into properties, find the wireless router in the box, select it.  Click okay, then activate the wireless device. 

For installing things, I have a much easier way (100x easier).  Run this: sudo synaptic

That will run a program that has lists of hundreds of thousands of free programs, codecs, things of that sort.  All you do is check the box for the things you want, when you are done, hit apply.  The things you chose will be automatically downloaded and installed then and there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 7:21pm
I see no box...

Also, when I try your sudo synaptic it still tells me this:

E: Type 'sudo' is not known on line 38 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.

I think it is beucae I was messing around in the repositorys earlier... oops.

Edited by Apotheosis - 13 August 2006 at 7:41pm
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 9:19pm
Yeah, you screwed up your repositories.

Now what I want to know is why did you install the ppoe client if you're using wirless? Your router should do the ppoe for you. You just need to config your wireless card. What kind are you using. Ndiswrapper would probably be the easiest way to get it working.

Also, stop telling him to type sudo for things that are in the menu. Pretty much every program they've told you to open is in System>Admin>

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 10:57pm
I tried to install the pppoe client on here because originally I had no internet connection, couldn't figure out how to configure my wireless card and I needed some kind of connection one way or another for the time being.

I am using a BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller.  I tried the ndiswrapper instructions you gave BB, but couldn't get it to work.  I proceded to go to wiki and found the instructions on there, but it said to only use ndiswrapper if your card is unsupported and mine is so I just said screw it to the whole wireless thing for then.

How can I fix my repositories, or would it just be easier to re-install ubuntu?

bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 11:55pm
anyone read linux as linus?
Jack Carver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 12:22am
Nope....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apotheosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 12:24am
I got impatient so I went ahead and re-installed ubuntu, so now all my repository problems are fixed.  Now on to the rest of my problems, lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic