FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dirt bikes...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dirt bikes...
    Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:13pm

im looking to get a dirt bike (as soon as i convince my parents and get the cash anyway)

i have a few questions about it...theres a sump by where i live i could ride it in, i know its illegal but it would be the only place i could ride it.

heres for the questions, and no google was no help.

1) im in NY state, do i have to register the dirt bike with the DMV?

2) im 5 foot 7, roughly 155 lbs, what would be a good bike to get? (cc size)

3) i understand cc refers to the engine size, but could anyone elaborate more on it?

4)where would be a good place to get one? (pep boys, online, ect.)

thanks

BooksAndLeaves View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:17pm
Steve
01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110
Savage93fvss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage93fvss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:20pm

You wont be driving it legally on the road, so you wont have to do anything with the DMV. I'm 5'9" and 160 and I started on a honda CRF150, It's a great bike that has a relativly low seat height for us short people, the 150 4stroke is a great motor that has good low range torque for climbing hills, and supurb mid-high range power band for speed. Since your a beginner I'd only recommend a 125-200cc otherwise you will die. I would say buy a nice used 4-stroke bike out of the local paper, dealerships suck.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:21pm
but i dont have to register it even though i own it? isnt that like not registering a car though?
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Savage93fvss Savage93fvss wrote:

you will die.

This is true. Get ready for it.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:36pm
If you intend on taking it on the road, it has to be street legal, tires, signals, lights, emisions, brakes, everything has to be inspected. But if your just taking it out back on your property or whatever. No ispection, just buy it and kill yourself i guess.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by BooksAndLeaves BooksAndLeaves wrote:

Steve

Dave.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

If you intend on taking it on the road, it has to be street legal, tires, signals, lights, emisions, brakes, everything has to be inspected. But if your just taking it out back on your property or whatever. No ispection, just buy it and kill yourself i guess.

technically its not my property, like i said, its a sump by my house. its technically the towns, my dad doesnt want me riding it in my yard bc he doesnt want it torn up, or around my neighborhood bc there are people who drive erratically in their cars....i would have to ride it less than an 1/8 of a mile to the sump though.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 3:17pm
you dont have to register it to ride off-road, i had a 4-wheeler for about 6 years, never registered it and even road it on the road quite a bit, nothing bad happened.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 3:20pm

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

you dont have to register it to ride off-road, i had a 4-wheeler for about 6 years, never registered it and even road it on the road quite a bit, nothing bad happened.  

the question is where are you though? are you in the country side or a residental area like i am?

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 3:25pm
theres a lot of houses nearby, im not in the city, but not out in teh BFE.  if its just 1/8mile ride to the sump, the odds that you will get pulled over are very slim, and if you do get pulled over, they'll probably just tell you to stop or be careful or something.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

theres a lot of houses nearby, im not in the city, but not out in teh BFE.  if its just 1/8mile ride to the sump, the odds that you will get pulled over are very slim, and if you do get pulled over, they'll probably just tell you to stop or be careful or something.

yea considering the amount of low lifes in my area, i dont think the cops would really do much to me....although one of my friends rode her quad on i-495 in a snow storm, all he did was take her back to her house...she did get grounded from her quad for a year though

blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 4:11pm
i think you only have to register it to drive on roads...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 4:22pm

i have another question i just thought of-

if i get one online off a website are they gonna follow up and make sure i register it or are they just gonna sell it and forget it?

its not a little online thing, its an actual store online

636andy636. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 10/24/07: Inappropriate Word Use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 4:29pm
Please do not buy a no named motorcycle, your asking for serious problems. Look for a 200CC four stroke. Do not get a 2 stroke.Look for a Honda XR200, they are well made and will run for ever.
Mateo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mateo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 5:42pm
yah any four stroke 200cc would be perfect to start on. if u want something small for fun that can still rip two stroke 85cc are ok
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 5:58pm
^^yea im not looking for anything to race around on or do jumps with (ill jump out of planes but not on a dirt bike, go figure) im just looking for something thats relatively cheap, easy to maintain to ride around on, ive always wanted one, but ive never had the room for it. but since the town came along within the last month and started doing some kind of work in the sump its more cleared out. im still trying to convince my parents though, thats gonna be the hard part.
Olcaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olcaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 9:15pm
    To answer number 3 cc stands for Cubic Centimeter. 1cc=1mL(milliliter)
There are 1000mL in one L so that gives you a scale when comparing 85 150 200 etc with car engine sizes a 150cc engine is 0.15L
    My opinion on what bike to get would be to look for an old used 75,100, or 150. You will get used to this bike after a while then you can get something bigger. Im planning on getting a KLR650 (google it) to trail/street ride. But you should deffinately start small.
    O and you said you were not looking to do jump. Dont worry you will get comfotable then start to do crazy stuff.
Model 98
Flatline
X-core
Vertical Adapter
Red Dot sight
Trigger adjustment
Rocket Cock II

My edits are in red
Dye Playa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested- Reposted Inapropiate Link.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dye Playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 11:05pm
legally, you are supposed to have them registered, no matter what. i would go with a honda, xr-(between 150-250 cc's). those dirtbikes are also clutch, so make sure you know how to ride manual. pretty soon, you'll be ridin it like you stole it though, your gonna be jumpin within a matter of weeks lol
pb125 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 11:15pm
It sounds like you are in no position to own a dirtbike, IMO.

You can't convince your parents, you don't have the money, you know absolutely nothing about dirtbikes, and you have no legal place to be riding them.

I suggest finding another hobby. Dirtbikes really aren't for everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic