FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the point of religion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the point of religion?
    Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:43pm
It seems to me that the only purpose of religion is to start wars and brainwash people who are too stupid to think for themselves.

If priests who rape children don't fear their god, why should I?

The whole ordeal looks silly and archaic to me.

It would be great if a religious forumer would clear this up for me.
Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
phillll227 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillll227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by travis75 travis75 wrote:

It seems to me that the only purpose of religion is to start wars and brainwash people who are too stupid to think for themselves.If priests who rape children don't fear their god, why should I?The whole ordeal looks silly and archaic to me.It would be great if a religious forumer would clear this up for me.

Explanation of the meaning of life.
Explanation of the natural world.
Source of hope through an afterlife.

impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:48pm

False hope for people who lives suck horribly everyday. I.E. 3rd world countries. Something good to luck forward to and to live for instead of just commiting suicide and ending the crap they go through.

Also an early way to civilize and control people. You tell someone they are going to burn in hell for sleeping with their friends wife. Good chance they will listen.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:49pm
Well, it started out as a way to explain the world around us and to give us hope of an afterlife, along with a code of conduct for our lives. The sad part is that now it has been skewed by the various members of the various sects into something to kill each other over.

But yeah, it looks silly and archaic to me too.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:52pm
Belif in a higher being basically.  It also sets guidelines to live by, such as not fighting, swearing, or attacking people, helping the needy and poor and in general being a nice person.

There are some nuts in all parts of life, including various religions. Saying all preists are child abusers is like calling all blacks theifs and drug dealers. 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the church, my view is religion is a personal thing, but to each his own, I dont insult or mock other's beleifs, but your welcome to think whatever you please.

Edited by Darur - 28 July 2006 at 7:53pm
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

all blacks theifs and drug dealers.

Racist.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:54pm
I really would like someone to explain to me how anyone ever thinks it's ok to kill someone because they don't believe the same thing....Especially when your beliefs go against the killing of others....I just don't see the logic...

blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:54pm
well im a christian...and the reason for religion is basicaly for what people believe in...duh...reason for wars and stuff is because of differences and dislikes i would guess...i hope that made sence...

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I really would like someone to explain to me how anyone ever thinks it's ok to kill someone because they don't believe the same thing....Especially when your beliefs go against the killing of others....I just don't see the logic...

Again, there are some nutbaskets in all points of life, including religion. Some people inturpret the bible one way and some the other.  People who murder for their religion in my opinion arent Christians, they are something else.  The bible says to love everyone, even your enemies.

Edited by Darur - 28 July 2006 at 7:57pm
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:58pm

Originally posted by phillll227 phillll227 wrote:

Explanation of the meaning of life.

There is none.

Quote Explanation of the natural world.

Science does a much better job of that than religion

Quote Source of hope through an afterlife.

LSD can also provide this, with much less effort.

Check - check - check.

I guess we don't need religion.

:P

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:59pm
Originally it was a form of control- it evolved along with early tribalism; a means by which leaders could control their tribes. "The crops failed because you are disobedient to the will of the Gods as they have spoken them through me!"

As societies evolved greater, individual religions had more sway- the priests were oftern among the most powerful sect of early socieities, and the divine right of monarchs was the reason that the system was held stable. Societies became a house of cards- religion was the foundation that MUST remain intact, or the entire society would fail.

Furthermore, people became so accustomed to the diea of being utterly subservient to whatever chosen deity(ies) that their was a genuine human inertia to the preservation of religion; how do you try to tell thousands of people that everything that has been absolutely true for their entire lives is in fact a falsehood?

Now, religion is a political and economic institution, with the livelihoods - and power! - of many many thousands being utterly contingent upon its continued success. It exists under its own inertia; basically all religions are a cult that became large enough to go 'mainstream'.

Originally posted by Robert A Heinlein Robert A Heinlein wrote:

The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Again, there are some nutbaskets in all points of life, including religion. Some people inturpret the bible one way and some the other.  People who murder for their religion in my opinion arent Christians, they are something else.  The bible says to love everyone, even your enemies.

yes thats true, but on a sort of side note...dont get war and murder mixed up...God in the old testement commanded the Israelites to kill off all these nations. One nation being the palastinias which they didnt kill off completely when God told them to. Now look at whats been happening...palastine and israel have been at war for YEARS...ya i sort of went off topic on that...

Edited by blackdog144 - 28 July 2006 at 8:03pm

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 8:07pm

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Trust brihard to pull out the Anson.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Originally it was a form of control- it evolved along with early tribalism; a means by which leaders could control their tribes. "The crops failed because you are disobedient to the will of the Gods as they have spoken them through me!"

As societies evolved greater, individual religions had more sway- the priests were oftern among the most powerful sect of early socieities, and the divine right of monarchs was the reason that the system was held stable. Societies became a house of cards- religion was the foundation that MUST remain intact, or the entire society would fail.

Furthermore, people became so accustomed to the diea of being utterly subservient to whatever chosen deity(ies) that their was a genuine human inertia to the preservation of religion; how do you try to tell thousands of people that everything that has been absolutely true for their entire lives is in fact a falsehood?

Now, religion is a political and economic institution, with the livelihoods - and power! - of many many thousands being utterly contingent upon its continued success. It exists under its own inertia; basically all religions are a cult that became large enough to go 'mainstream'.

The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.

Very, very well done. Between this and what Clark said, we can just about put this thread to bed...

darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 1:21am
make no mistake about it...religion has killed more people than all the wars combined.  in every year since religion was created, their has been blood spilled over who is right and has right to.

yet religion was just not made for control, but for trying to understand the world around them.  if you look at religions many of the mean parts of the religion were directed to things that were unpredictable.  like god of fire or god of explosion (which then could be related to forrest fires or volcanos)  yet most of the deities were based around many predictable events, rainy season, changes of season, etc.

now if you look at all religions they share many similar attributes or stories...for example:

noah was actually based 3-4k years before by the mesopitains (spelt wrong).

the death and resurection of jesus christ was based off a Greek/Roman god who died in the winter only to rise in the spring...sound familiar?

in the beginning of christainty many "pagen" traditions were absorbed by the church so that they could convert more people.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 1:36am
'Organzied religion' specifically is an instrunment of control.
Offer weak minded people a fantasy story, in exchange for their subservience to what you want them to do.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 1:40am
I've recently converted from Catholocism to Atheism. It feels damn good.

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 1:41am

something to blame all of life's problems on...

"goddamn it!"

X
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 1:44am

here we go again...

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

I've recently converted from Catholocism to Atheism. It feels damn good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic