FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the point of religion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by phillll227 phillll227 wrote:

Explanation of the meaning of life.

Quote Source of hope through an afterlife.

LSD can also provide this, with much less effort.

Check - check - check.

I guess we don't need religion.

:P

WOOOO
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 4:55pm
does that mean LSD is the antichrist?
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

does that mean LSD is the antichrist?
What?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 4:58pm
^ if LSD did the same thing as religion so you could then do away with religion. then in a sence its kinda like the anti-christ if ya think about it.

Forum Vice President
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 5:38pm
Alcohol: My anti-drug.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 5:40pm
lol

Forum Vice President
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 6:21pm

Mary at Zeitun

Starting in April, 1968, her apparitions of light changed the lives of thousands. Her appearances at Zeitun, Egypt were astounding. She was seen by more than a million people. The apparitions were broadcast by Egyptian TV, photographed by hundreds of professional photographers and personally witnessed by Egyptian President Abdul Nasser, an avowed Marxist. The apparitions lasted for three years with numerous unaccountable healings recorded by various medical professionals. The local police, who initially thought the apparitions were an elaborate hoax, searched a 15-mile radius surrounding the site to uncover any type of device that could be used to project such images. Tey were completely unsuccessful.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 6:33pm

^^^^^^

K?

travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by bassist11 bassist11 wrote:

Mary at Zeitun

Starting in April, 1968, her apparitions of light changed the lives of thousands. Her appearances at Zeitun, Egypt were astounding. She was seen by more than a million people. The apparitions were broadcast by Egyptian TV, photographed by hundreds of professional photographers and personally witnessed by Egyptian President Abdul Nasser, an avowed Marxist. The apparitions lasted for three years with numerous unaccountable healings recorded by various medical professionals. The local police, who initially thought the apparitions were an elaborate hoax, searched a 15-mile radius surrounding the site to uncover any type of device that could be used to project such images. Tey were completely unsuccessful.

People like you are the reason people like me are atheists.
Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:39am
Originally posted by bassist11 bassist11 wrote:

Mary at Zeitun

1) what the hell is that?  i see something with a light bulb on top of it.
2) if this was actual news, you think we in America would have heard about it.
3) anyone could photoshop that.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 9:37am

A Google search would have revealed that this is no photoshop.  The Zeitun apparitions are no internet phenomenon.

Plenty of Americans have heard of them.

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:58pm
Religion has 2 purposes, and 2 purposes only. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to justify a life of delusion.

1: Offers hope of life after death. Death is the great mystery of life, and everyone is afraid of the unknown. Nobody wants to believe that they just stop existing, so the myth of heaven was created, to ease fear of death.

2: Offers an opportunity to lord over other people with no rational counter-argument. When you insist on believing in something that has no scientific or rational proof, you cant be swayed from that position by rational argument. Religion offers an unscrupulous person the opportunity to lead others around by the nose, and make money doing it. Its like being a politician but better, because the only rules you have to follow are those you create, as long as they fit in the social frame of what the idiots you lead around will believe.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:07pm
Here here, Enos!

In defense of religion. There has been much good done by a lot of religious groups and people. I'm a member of one group, despite my atheism, and I've personally been involved in helping a lot of people. I will say though, the good done most probably doesn't begin to stack up to the damage that has been done in it's name, but still.

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:10pm
You dont need religion to do good. I can go out and volunteer my time with no ulterior motive (i.e. getting more sheep to join my church).

Why dont these damned churches put their money where their mouths are and stop building so many big frigging churches and use the money for something useful? Like charity?

We dont need a church on every street corner. They dont all need a new building every 2 years.

That alone proves that the church leaders are just out for personal gain, whether thats money or an inflated ego by being the biggest church in town.

Dont get me wrong, Im a spiritual person. I just absolutely despise organized religion.
darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

A Google search would have revealed that this is no photoshop.  The Zeitun apparitions are no internet phenomenon.

Plenty of Americans have heard of them.

so great...still looks like a light bulb.  anyone could have created that...or depending on the type of camera used it could be just a light emission.

+1 for proving nothing.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:38pm

My point was simply that before mocking people on the internet, you should at least take the time to Google/Yahoo whatever you are mocking them about, to avoid looking like a fool yourself.

Your followup post tells me that even after my gentle reminder you still have not Googled Zeitun.

You really ought to read before posting.

travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

You dont need religion to do good. I can go out and volunteer my time with no ulterior motive (i.e. getting more sheep to join my church).

Why dont these damned churches put their money where their mouths are and stop building so many big frigging churches and use the money for something useful? Like charity?

We dont need a church on every street corner. They dont all need a new building every 2 years.

That alone proves that the church leaders are just out for personal gain, whether thats money or an inflated ego by being the biggest church in town.

Dont get me wrong, Im a spiritual person. I just absolutely despise organized religion.

I could not agree with you more, Master Enos.  I too have a strong dislike for the massive churches to whom people flock like sheep.  It reminds me of the popularity contests back in middle school
Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by travis75 travis75 wrote:

I could not agree with you more, Master Enos.  I too have a strong dislike for the massive churches to whom people flock like sheep.  It reminds me of the popularity contests back in middle school

yea cause EVERY church does that...

battlefreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote battlefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Boss_DJ Boss_DJ wrote:

You dont need religion to do good. I can go out and
volunteer my time with no ulterior motive (i.e. getting more sheep to
join my church).Why
dont these damned churches put their money where their mouths are and
stop building so many big frigging churches and use the money for
something useful? Like charity?We dont need a church on every street corner. They dont all need a new building every 2 years.That
alone proves that the church leaders are just out for personal gain,
whether thats money or an inflated ego by being the biggest church in
town.Dont get me wrong, Im a spiritual person. I just absolutely despise organized religion.
I
could not agree with you more, Master Enos.  I too have a strong
dislike for the massive churches to whom people flock like sheep. 
It reminds me of the popularity contests back in middle school

<span style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0);">
yea cause EVERY church does that...</span>
lmfao enos so ure saying churches dont give to chairity?
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by battlefreak battlefreak wrote:

Originally posted by Boss_DJ Boss_DJ wrote:

You dont need religion to do good. I can go out and
volunteer my time with no ulterior motive (i.e. getting more sheep to
join my church).Why
dont these damned churches put their money where their mouths are and
stop building so many big frigging churches and use the money for
something useful? Like charity?We dont need a church on every street corner. They dont all need a new building every 2 years.That
alone proves that the church leaders are just out for personal gain,
whether thats money or an inflated ego by being the biggest church in
town.Dont get me wrong, Im a spiritual person. I just absolutely despise organized religion.
I
could not agree with you more, Master Enos. I too have a strong
dislike for the massive churches to whom people flock like sheep.
It reminds me of the popularity contests back in middle school

<span style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0);">
yea cause EVERY church does that...</span>
lmfao enos so ure saying churches dont give to chairity?
1. Filter dodge

2. He didn't say they didn't give to charity, just that they waste money on useless things that do nothing other than inflate their ego which could be better spent on charity.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic