FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the point of religion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 2:17am

Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

I've recently converted from Catholocism to Atheism. It feels damn good.

Bravo. I too prefer not to be affiliated with a religion.

barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 9:49am
I can't help but wonder why everybody hates religion so much here. Thats one of the main things I've seen here is that instantly the word religion is brought up and everybody pounces on it. I'm just curious to see the main reason why you strongly dislke it. Now I'm not trying to flame anybody or try to act smart (becuase I'm not lol). I am a christian and am sure you guys know all about that kind of stuff but I'm simply interested in hearing why you don't like it.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 10:21am
It's because this place has an unusually large number of very smart people, for an internet forum, and most smart people value logic and pay too much attention to just be fine with religion as a principle. But that's just me....

Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 11:05am
Religion just doesn't add up. It was made up to explain things way back when, when the people who wrote it knew nothing about science. Since we now have science to explain things for us, there is no use for religion.

djrox View Drop Down
You dip, we get it...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 2:23pm
I hate to say this, but the only reason I have a religon is because I'm afraid of hell. And if religon made perfect sense then they wouldn't call it faith. People shouldn't look at the Bible as a textbook. It is a book full of stories that are supposed to help people in there daily lives. (example, don't kill or steal, honor your parents, treat others how you want to be treated)
TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 2:36pm

me too, yay

its so pointless

Edited by TEHGANGSTER - 29 July 2006 at 2:36pm

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 2:54pm
Does anyone else cringe when people say "faith"?

barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Simply what you beleive in. Do you have faith in religion or in the field of science? You would have faith in the science field and someone else will have faith in religion.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 3:39pm
Do you guys believe in santa clause or the easter bunny? Or is that too much faith to ask for?

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by barn_user barn_user wrote:

Simply what you beleive in. Do you have faith in religion or in the field of science? You would have faith in the science field and someone else will have faith in religion.

Science is not a matter of faith, because science does not ask you to beleive anything 'just because'.

Science issues theories- the explanation for something with the greatest plausibility based on cause and effect and known physical and mathematical principles. Science adjusts itself accordingly as new information and evidence comes to light.

Religion gives absolute certainties absed on ideas thousands of years old with no real logical or scientific reasoning behind it. Granted religion has a lot of good stuff to say, but most of the explanations about why things happen, or how the earth was made, are total bunk that have long since been proven as false.

Science can go into more detail than "Becuase the guys who wote the Bible said so". All else being equal, the simplest explanation is likeliest to be the correct one, and the idea of cause and effect down to infinitely small levels is far more plausible than a magically omnipotent being that actually cares what *we* think, and has nothing better to do than interfere in our affairs.

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Science is not a matter of faith, because science does not ask you to beleive anything 'just because'.Science issues theories- the explanation for something with the greatest plausibility based on cause and effect and known physical and mathematical principles. Science adjusts itself accordingly as new information and evidence comes to light. Religion gives absolute certainties absed on ideas thousands of years old with no real logical or scientific reasoning behind it. Granted religion has a lot of good stuff to say, but most of the explanations about why things happen, or how the earth was made, are total bunk that have long since been proven as false.Science can go into more detail than "Becuase the guys who wote the Bible said so". All else being equal, the simplest explanation is likeliest to be the correct one, and the idea of cause and effect down to infinitely small levels is far more plausible than a magically omnipotent being that actually cares what *we* think, and has nothing better to do than interfere in our affairs.

Man brihard you are one smart cookie. I quit, so I'm just gonna leave it at...its all personal preference as to what you choose to beleive.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 6:29pm

I can't help but wonder why everybody hates religion so much here. Thats one of the main things I've seen here is that instantly the word religion is brought up and everybody pounces on it. I'm just curious to see the main reason why you strongly dislke it. Now I'm not trying to flame anybody or try to act smart (becuase I'm not lol). I am a christian and am sure you guys know all about that kind of stuff but I'm simply interested in hearing why you don't like it.
Here's why:
Your refusal to actually use your brain, and accept logic encourages the idea that faith is more important than logic. This is a supremely dangerous idea. It leads to the mindset that allows people to either blow themselves up for their beliefs, or go and murder doctors who perform abortions.
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 6:39pm
Sorry for spaming this thread up but Barrel Break are you refering to "Your" as me personally or as in addressing the people that do not beleive the science? Again sorry for spaming this thread up.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 6:52pm

Sorry for spaming this thread up but Barrel Break are you refering to "Your" as me personally or as in addressing the people that do not beleive the science? Again sorry for spaming this thread up.
I'm sorry, I assumed that you are a religous person, I mean religous people in general.
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 6:56pm
Thanks for clearing that up.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 8:19pm
Damn it. Why does Clark or Bri always beat me to stuff? I am so going to start putting folks on notice...

TRC1040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRC1040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 8:26pm

I think that there is religion for two reasons.

1) First try to think of a world were you're not in control of anything and nothing anywhere, on earth or the heavens, is controlling the present and the future. Think of not having a place to go when you die and that we are here just for the same reason as everything else. to be born have sex and die. I don't know about you but to me it's a little scary not knowing what's going to happen to me in the future, and its even more frightening to think that there isn't someone up there that is going to help me through the hardest times of my life.

2) Money

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 8:32pm
I can image a world like that. It's the one I live in. Besides, having "faith" in a religion doesn't mean that there actually IS someone up there controlling things or that there actually IS life after death....Besides, why does there need to be a life after death, or expectations of a higher power, or anything like that for life to have meaning? What you accomplish in your life should be the meaning of it, not what you expect after it's all over...

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 8:37pm
Barn_user- for the record, I've not problem with religion; it's a person's preference, as you said. What I don't tolerate is when religious people try to insist to me that they're right, or in any way try to shove their religion in my face.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Destruction View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destruction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by TEHGANGSTER TEHGANGSTER wrote:

me too, yay its so pointless

Originally posted by Kirk Cameron Kirk Cameron wrote:

ZOMG THUR R NO ATHEISTSS!!!1!

Thanks for making that clear, Kirk.

Edited by Destruction - 29 July 2006 at 8:40pm
u dont know what to do ur getting mottor boatted

Men are from Magmar, women are from Venusaur.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic