Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people say driving a manual = fun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 3:01pm

I learned on a stick, and it's certainly a good skill to have.

You really do have more control over the car, it comes in especially handy in snowy conditions, and when you can downshift, it's easier to break. I flipping hate driving an auto in bad conditions. You really shouldn't just leave it in drive, way too many times I've done that and had the car decide it wants to shift and totally lose traction.

I do drive it in traffic, it isn't too bad, but the constant stop-and-go when you never get out of 2nd sucks. If you live in a populated urban area and never leave it, I wouldn't reccomend one.

Padle-shifting type cars are out of your price range, so don't worry about it until you want an M3 or something.

I still suggest trying both, but it never hurts to learn something.

Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Padle-shifting type cars are out of your price range, so don't worry about it until you want an M3 or something.

Many people don't know the difference between what most manufacturers sell, a conventional auto with some buttons, and a true sequential/F1-style gearbox.

Don't pimp your "OMG TIPTRONIC AUTOSTICK" unless your car was over $50k.
darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Hairball!!! Hairball!!! wrote:

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Many people don't know the difference between what most manufacturers sell, a conventional auto with some buttons, and a true sequential/F1-style gearbox.

Don't pimp your "OMG TIPTRONIC AUTOSTICK" unless your car was over $50k.

unless you go to VW or Audi with their new DSG tranny.  suppose to be the closest to a F1 style paddle in the lower price range.  hell Motor Trend even stated that it could bring the death of the shifter. 

only thing i hate about autos with buttons is that it already shifts for you if you don't up or down shift.  i want something like in a Ferrari!
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 5:17am
Dude, even Celica's have paddle shifting.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 5:21am
I don't think the manual transmition will ever be fully replaced. It has been arround ever since the vehicle has existed. If it was ever discontinued from the manufacturer, there would certainly be a private company pumping them out because there would be such a demand.
PBalla2242 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PBalla2242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 9:07am
...not replaced, but def shrinking into an "enthusiest's" market.

MTs will certainly be around, but the amount of cars becoming all ATs is growing. while alot of sedans and plainer cars are converted all to auto (maximas for ex.), tuned up versions of cars and all out sports cars will keep MTs to satisfy the market they're geared towards.

for the OP, a MT will be an auto to you with a few months. its up to you if you're willing to sacrifice a little comfort in the beginning and can understand what you have to do. overall, MT is better for anyone who likes to drive imo

"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster."
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 2:16pm
Be lazy and flaunt your money like me and drive an automatic.
youm0nt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youm0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 7:23pm
pics and info about said paddle shifting?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by youm0nt youm0nt wrote:

pics and info about said paddle shifting?

Two paddles behind the steering wheel. You use your fingers to shift without a clutch essentially. If you want to shift, click the paddle with your right hand, if you want to shift back down, click the left. (Might be the opposite hands, I dont know) Google search, or google image search "paddle shift"

Edited by choopie911 - 29 July 2006 at 7:33pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 8:52pm
How much would that cost? (too lazy to Google...)
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Biteme132 View Drop Down

Trolling racist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biteme132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by RollnROCK89i RollnROCK89i wrote:

Hey, I'm looking into getting my first car, and I'm looking to spend somewhere between 2000 and 3000 dollars.  I'm thinking something like a 90's Honda Civic.

I can either get a manual or automatic, but have never driven a manual before, but would be willing to learn.  I've heard that driving a manual is more fun, so I was wondering why people say that.  Thanks.

First of all DUMB ASS do not buy a Honda, and sure as hell not Honda Civic. and Second go for manual, 6 speed.
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 11:37pm
Troll
Dye Playa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested- Reposted Inapropiate Link.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dye Playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 11:45pm
i am only 14 but i like driving my dads truck manual better than any auto. driving stick is more fun and i can easily see how in bad driving confitions it is safer. goin down an icy hill, drop into first, so the car doesnt decide to shift into second and have you coast down it, hittin the breaks, and sliding to your death lol.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Hairball!!! Hairball!!! wrote:

Troll

Probably IJM (aka saywhat-something or other) again.
battlefreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote battlefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 12:15pm
i like the stick better even though i havent been driving long but u do have alot more control and its real easy to learn stick if ure like me cus ive been drivin tractors all over the place at our farm since i was like 10
darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Biteme132 Biteme132 wrote:

Hey, I'm looking into getting my first car, and I'm looking to spend somewhere between 2000 and 3000 dollars.  I'm thinking something like a 90's Honda Civic.

I can either get a manual or automatic, but have never driven a manual before, but would be willing to learn.  I've heard that driving a manual is more fun, so I was wondering why people say that.  Thanks.

First of all DUMB ASS do not buy a Honda, and sure as hell not Honda Civic. and Second go for manual, 6 speed.

why not buy a Civic?  don't like reliability?  don't like better resale than everything but a toyota (comparable)?  don't like getting great gas mileage (40mpg with a/c in my 04 civic)?  why exactly not buy a Honda?

you do know that there is nothing special about 6 speeds except that the 6th gear is an over drive cog.  i hate retards that base their opinions on nothing.  btw i have driven many different cars and my sports car is a 240sx with a rebuilt turbo engine soon.

this is a kid's 1st car, i have heard and seen many people get cars with too much power and crash or kill themselves or others.  no one understands that 300rwhp is alot of power.

btw, the Toyota celica does not have paddle shifters.  it will automatically up and down shift for you.  they are merly buttons that up or down shift earlier.  not a true paddle shift.

Edited by darkSIDEofMOON - 30 July 2006 at 3:27pm
paintballinbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballinbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by darkSIDEofMOON darkSIDEofMOON wrote:

Originally posted by Biteme132 Biteme132 wrote:

why not buy a Civic?  don't like reliability?  don't like better resale than everything but a toyota (comparable)?  don't like getting great gas mileage (40mpg with a/c in my 04 civic)?  why exactly not buy a Honda?

you do know that there is nothing special about 6 speeds except that the 6th gear is an over drive cog.  i hate retards that base their opinions on nothing.  btw i have driven many different cars and my sports car is a 240sx with a rebuilt turbo engine soon.

this is a kid's 1st car, i have heard and seen many people get cars with too much power and crash or kill themselves or others.  no one understands that 300rwhp is alot of power.

btw, the Toyota celica does not have paddle shifters.  it will automatically up and down shift for you.  they are merly buttons that up or down shift earlier.  not a true paddle shift.

^^werd.

i have a 94 integra(basically a civic with a 1.8 liter instead of a 1.6); and i consistently get 35-38 mpg in the CITY. it's really not that hard. my point is that a fair amount of people don't know how to drive manuals efficiently. (heavy acceleration in lower gears kills gas mileage, for instance. the car is more efficent in 5th and 6th gears.)

oh, and about the celica having paddle shift, that's false. however, the toyota MR-S has an optional paddle shift transmission.

98 Custom
milled;painted;J&J Ceramic;X-Chamber;R/T;Cyclone.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 5:37pm
I know for a fact the Celica GTS had paddle shifts. Yeah, its still an automatic, but it still has paddle shifts so you can override it.
636andy636. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 10/24/07: Inappropriate Word Use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 5:50pm
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/00celica.htm
"GT-S models have a 180 horsepower 1.8 litre four cylinder powerplant and a standard six-speed manual transmission, or optional 'E-shift' automatic transmission with manual shifting buttons on the steering wheel."

My parents mazda six with auto transmission even has a manual shift mode.

Edited by 636andy636. - 30 July 2006 at 5:51pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 5:57pm
My friend in vancouver drives a newer Mazda. I really like how their shifting works. Have it do it for you, or you can do it. You can switch while driving, etc. Very nicely done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic