Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people say driving a manual = fun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by paintballinbill paintballinbill wrote:

manual>automatic in almost all situations.

1. Save on Gas2. Save on brake pads(example-downshift as you are approaching a red light, and you don't have to brake as much)3. more control over your car( example- if you are going up a hill, you can stay in a lower gear, instead of the stupid ECU telling your transmission to shift up, and then downshifting again when you are bogging the hell out of the motor)

the only way an auto would be better is if you are drag racing, because autos are much more consistent from run to run.

If I were a racer, I wouldnt drive automatic...

For pure performance, a GOOD automatic/sequential shifter would probably be better than a manual.

For fun, a manual would be better.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 10:55pm
I have a stick and I wish to hell it was an auto.

Say all you want about how you "feel more in touch with the car" and all that nonsense.
I do not feel at all in touch when I am in morning traffic on the way to work, constantly shifting from first to second to first to second for half a damn hour.

Give me a automatic any day.
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 11:00pm
I guess it depends where you live. My city isnt very large, so I dont have to worry about heavy traffic any. 
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Hairball!!! Hairball!!! wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by paintballinbill paintballinbill wrote:

manual>automatic in almost all situations.

1. Save on Gas2. Save on brake pads(example-downshift as you are approaching a red light, and you don't have to brake as much)3. more control over your car( example- if you are going up a hill, you can stay in a lower gear, instead of the stupid ECU telling your transmission to shift up, and then downshifting again when you are bogging the hell out of the motor)

the only way an auto would be better is if you are drag racing, because autos are much more consistent from run to run.

I deffinitly say no. Get a slapshift or paddleshift with a shift light and you'll pwn an automatic.

And whale, I'd agree with you there. Heavy city traffic, especially stopping on hills, automatic deffinitly wins. For everything else, I'd take stick.

If I were a racer, I wouldnt drive automatic...

For pure performance, a GOOD automatic/sequential shifter would probably be better than a manual.

For fun, a manual would be better.
youm0nt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youm0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 11:13pm
id love to try manual.but i drive an auto.one of my friends swears by manual

Edited by youm0nt - 27 July 2006 at 11:13pm
tippya5extreme View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filterdodging/Language 7/17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 11:24pm
i love manual! i driven my moms bmw z3 its flipin sweet!   you fell like your really driving the car and not the car driving you 

tippya5extreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by tippya5extreme tippya5extreme wrote:

i love manual! i driven my moms bmw z3 its flipin sweet!   you fell like your really driving the car and not the car driving you

Wonder why...
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 12:35am

depends...

lazy?=automatic

not lazy?=manual

X
mjicmike View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjicmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 1:06am
I love my manuals, only drawbacks like everyone has stated is the heavy traffic.  Once you are in open road... open up that baby and watch her go. 
A5 Rfs Dwg triggr
Ricochet R5
8"Lapco Bigsht/14"CP Classic
Palmers Stab.
Lapco uni-mount
DOP bullet drop fwd
PMI 88/4500

Woods
Flatline/14"Lapco Bigsht
CMI Thunder pig reg.
Remote adj. stk
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 1:16am

I think auto is better for new drivers cuz they can focus on the road more where as more exsperianced drivers can use manual cuz theyre used to driving and its a lot easier to handle it.

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 1:31am
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I think auto is better for new drivers cuz they can focus on the road more where as more exsperianced drivers can use manual cuz theyre used to driving and its a lot easier to handle it.

what, videogames not enough experiance?
X
darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 3:51am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

brake into the turn

brake before the turn, never into the turn.  if you brake into the turn you are overloading the front and causing yourself to go much slower and with less control.

btw about drag racing, most fast cars use a trip-tronic type of shifter.  you let the clutch out once (at the very start) then just push up for the next gear.  don't need to retouch the clutch again.  trying to go through the gates against a auto or trip-tronic you will probably lose. 

why you think Ferrari is using alot all trip-tronic type clutches in their cars, its faster and cutting edge.
BearClaw View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 8:48am
The Auto Stick debate will never end. The truth of the matter is they both have a place and will continue so for some time.  Although the days of the Conventinal AUTO are VERY numbered.  Soon too be relaced by tech thats been used in heavy truck now for a few years. Basically thier just standard transmishions with computer contoled actuators to work the clutch and shift mehcanisims in the transmishion.

Its pretty neat to drive em (have two at my work in freightliner columbias with a DETROITE series 60).  Can shift WAY faster than myself and clutch service life is better due to the lack of driver error.  BUT currently their design is still flawed and reliabiltiy is not so good.  One model (cant remeber if it was meritors or eatons) used the abs read outs to determin speed for the computer to shift gears.  so as soon as you had a abs problem (VERY common on heavy truck) your trasn mishion would stop working leaving you stranded and requiering an EXPENSIVE service call or tow.

Either way get somee seat time in both an auto and a stick and decide what ya like.  As ya can see some like stick some like autos.  I myself have no probs with either and i HAD to learn stick in order to do my job as a Diesel Heavy truck mehcanic.  I owned MANY autos and a hand full of manules and have been compitant in driving both from the start.  As it stands now i can jump in my stick shift VW and not even think about it and basically drive on auto pilot and same goes for my auto Ford Ranger or my Yamaha Bike (5 speed toe shift LOL).  Hell even driving the big guys has become rutine and they got up too 18speeds and have no sycros so you HAVE to have the rpms DEAD ON MATCHED or your just grinding.  Hell the clutch on em basicall just for starten and stopin.

Edited by BearClaw - 28 July 2006 at 8:49am
AGD RT ULE AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN SL68II
DANGEROUS POWER E1
TIPPMANN A5
SHERIDAN PGP2
AGD 68 AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN PRO-CARBINE
EMPIRE TRRACER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 10:46am
Originally posted by darkSIDEofMOON darkSIDEofMOON wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

brake into the turn
brake before the turn, never into the turn. if you brake into the turn you are overloading the front and causing yourself to go much slower and with less control.btw about drag racing, most fast cars use a trip-tronic type of shifter. you let the clutch out once (at the very start) then just push up for the next gear. don't need to retouch the clutch again. trying to go through the gates against a auto or trip-tronic you will probably lose. why you think Ferrari is using alot all trip-tronic type clutches in their cars, its faster and cutting edge.

Exactly what I was getting at. They can shift stupidly fast.
Farcry0092 View Drop Down
im not nominated for anything

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farcry0092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 10:54am

i dont get my licence for 2 years but my dad let me drive his truck and i almost crashed it numerous times because i was to preoccupied with the manual shifting. grrrrrrr. so for my first car im getting my dads suzuki xl7. not too excited bout that. but its auto so ill live with it till i buy my own.

edit: a quick question. does it have to be manual to drift a car?

Edited by Farcry0092 - 28 July 2006 at 10:57am
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 11:06am
I have never driven a manual transmission car, but my friends jeep is manual. He likes it a lot. I guess it just takes some getting used to. I like automatic. I don't have to to much.

darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by BearClaw BearClaw wrote:

The Auto Stick debate will never end. The truth of the matter is they both have a place and will continue so for some time.  Although the days of the Conventinal AUTO are VERY numbered.  Soon too be relaced by tech thats been used in heavy truck now for a few years. Basically thier just standard transmishions with computer contoled actuators to work the clutch and shift mehcanisims in the transmishion.

Its pretty neat to drive em (have two at my work in freightliner columbias with a DETROITE series 60).  Can shift WAY faster than myself and clutch service life is better due to the lack of driver error.  BUT currently their design is still flawed and reliabiltiy is not so good.  One model (cant remeber if it was meritors or eatons) used the abs read outs to determin speed for the computer to shift gears.  so as soon as you had a abs problem (VERY common on heavy truck) your trasn mishion would stop working leaving you stranded and requiering an EXPENSIVE service call or tow.

Either way get somee seat time in both an auto and a stick and decide what ya like.  As ya can see some like stick some like autos.  I myself have no probs with either and i HAD to learn stick in order to do my job as a Diesel Heavy truck mehcanic.  I owned MANY autos and a hand full of manules and have been compitant in driving both from the start.  As it stands now i can jump in my stick shift VW and not even think about it and basically drive on auto pilot and same goes for my auto Ford Ranger or my Yamaha Bike (5 speed toe shift LOL).  Hell even driving the big guys has become rutine and they got up too 18speeds and have no sycros so you HAVE to have the rpms DEAD ON MATCHED or your just grinding.  Hell the clutch on em basicall just for starten and stopin.

well i think that most traditional motorists like the shifting gates.  while most start up racers use shifters as well.  but once you get up into pro seris you see alot more paddle shift type cars.  why?  because it is faster and less chance of missing a gear which could mean a win or loss.  i don't think that traditional shifters will lose their place because there are still alot of people that want that connected feel, plus they are cheaper.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Farcry0092 Farcry0092 wrote:

i dont get my licence for 2 years but my dad let me drive his truck and i almost crashed it numerous times because i was to preoccupied with the manual shifting. grrrrrrr. so for my first car im getting my dads suzuki xl7. not too excited bout that. but its auto so ill live with it till i buy my own.

edit: a quick question. does it have to be manual to drift a car?

No, but it helps. If you like to tool around in your car and squeal the tires, drift, donuts, etc, go manual.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 2:35pm
Heavy traffic never bothered me while I was in my manual Jeep. Well, it bothered the hell out of me, but not because I had to shift.

You just learn to pace yourself, not riding right up on the car ahead of you, and you don't have to shift nearly as much as you'd think.

Traffic would move much faster if everybody kept a better following distance. Then we wouldn't all be start-stopping like idiots, moving down the highway like we're all having seizures. I wonder why we feel like we're going so much faster when we rush up to the car ahead of us when there are no stoplights and no way to get around the person in front.

TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 2:44pm
i got my stang for 2, and it runs with a 3 speed auto, i want a stick tho, its better because i live in the middle of nowhere, styros equation is helpful also

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic