Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lithium Grease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ro_ck_solid_x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ro_ck_solid_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithium Grease
    Posted: 23 July 2006 at 2:15pm
Now I have read many posts on this forum praising lithium grease as an excellent lube for the rear bolt area of a gun. I have also read in one of Bruce A. Frank's posts that lithium grease reacts badly with CO2. So has anyone used it on a gun operated by CO2?
FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 2:45pm
Lithium grease + "O" rings=

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ro_ck_solid_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 10:16pm
I know people have had success using lithium grease on the rear bolt o ring so i think it'd be fine on them. I just don't know for sure if it would be fine with CO2 blowing back on it.
TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 11:10pm
try the tippmann stuff, they wouldnt package it if it didnt work

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 1:40am
Its not really the best application of lithium grease. Grease is for high pressure/high temperature mostly automotive applications such as bearings.

Oil is what you need.

Oil for guns
Grease for cars.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
636andy636. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 10/24/07: Inappropriate Word Use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 2:52am
Originally posted by FarSeer FarSeer wrote:

Lithium grease + "O" rings=

It does not distroy orings.
Yes grease is also for guns, Spoolvalve guns need grease, timmys need grease on there rams.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 3:42am

Originally posted by ro_ck_solid_x ro_ck_solid_x wrote:

Now I have read many posts on this forum praising lithium grease as an excellent lube for the rear bolt area of a gun. I have also read in one of Bruce A. Frank's posts that lithium grease reacts badly with CO2. So has anyone used it on a gun operated by CO2?

Greg Palmer, the man who should know(the top man at Palmer Pursuit!!! The people who invented and make the Stabilizer!!!), said that there was a problem with lithium grease and CO2. White Lithium grease is light weight and does not slow movement or "gum" things up when used with HPA.

It does nothing to Tippmann "O" rings except make them last longer. You cannot get better performance than it offerers on the rear bolt "O" ring. That is an "O" ring that has to seal well to get the solid blow back of the rear bolt(hammer) so you get consistent cocking.

There is nothing better to reduce the scuffing friction that can take place between the hammer and the inside of the receiver. It is not so thick as to slow movement of the parts.

People, I even use it inside my E-Bolt ram since it seals better and eliminates wear between the piston "O" ring on the bore of the ram. I polished the bore of the ram when I first started using the E-Bolt...nearly a year later the bore still has a mirror finish.

I USE the stuff, I am not just speaking from theory or some wild hair about "well, it should work better." I don't have a white lithium grease franchise. And, un-like some people here on the forums, I don't get a kick out of telling someone something that will ruin their marker...'nuff said!

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 24 July 2006 at 3:44am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ro_ck_solid_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 10:39am
So would the CO2 from blowback be enough to gum it up? I understand that in a stabilizer the grease would be exposed to pure constant CO2, but on the rear bolt it would just be exposed to it when fired and even then I imagine it would disperse into the air rather quickly.

If it turns out that I can't use it is there anything else you can recommend that's a little slicker and stickier than oil? My guns starting to enter old age and I want something that's gonna protect it a little better.
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 9:03pm

Lithium grease = Good with HPA

Lithium grease = Not so good with CO2

If you must use a "Grease"  with CO2 (and I prefer to) , Use a Synthetic grease that lists its ability to be inert in slightly acidic applications , or one with chemically inert components , Ie , Graphite (very messy , but effective) Molybdenium (my favorite) , teflon even .

With a properly cleaned and maintained marker , I cant see why a good grade oil wouldnt work quite well , there are probably as many brands of paintball marker oil out there as there are brands of suppliers of PB equipment , if in doubt stick with a name brand . That will give you a chance to do some research for a lubricant that suits your needs .

The manufacturers of the grease I prefer have this address : Schaffer Specialized Lubricants , 102 Barton street , St Louis , Mo . 63104

Its a grease with a synthetic base , unaffected by mild bases or acids , and contains Molecular Moly (3%) . As with what Bruce said , the internal polishing on my marker is Pristine and I am approaching a measly 50 K shots thru my 98C "Widowmaker" it wouldnt be near as many , but I stress tested my marker mods playing speedball .

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 10:13pm
I have used both oil and LG for a long time in my guns. I keep both around my house to fix guns.

Here is my rule of thumb, the one i use anyway-

• Oil = Best for internals
  • Grease = Best for regulators and cup seals

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 12:41am

Originally posted by ro_ck_solid_x ro_ck_solid_x wrote:

So would the CO2 from blowback be enough to gum it up? I understand that in a stabilizer the grease would be exposed to pure constant CO2, but on the rear bolt it would just be exposed to it when fired and even then I imagine it would disperse into the air rather quickly.

If it turns out that I can't use it is there anything else you can recommend that's a little slicker and stickier than oil? My guns starting to enter old age and I want something that's gonna protect it a little better.

I used it on my hammer "O" ring when I was still using CO2. I never saw a problem, but then I was also disassembling my marker every week...wiping things clean and applying new grease. Nothing was evident to me with the cleaning cycle I was using.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ro_ck_solid_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 8:18am
All right thanks guys. I'm pretty big on cleaning my gun after every use so I doubt I'll see any problems with grease breaking down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic