Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Make your own flatline / apex barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlienA-5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlienA-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make your own flatline / apex barrel
    Posted: 05 July 2006 at 4:11pm
ok i just got really bored with my a-5 's stock barrel so i decided to do sumthin with it. i was looking at how the apex was designed and tried to make sumthin in my 5 minutes of free time. i just took one of those papertowel/toiletpaper cardboard tubes and i taped it on, curved, so that the paintballs would hit it and get a backspin. if you guys have ANY idea on how to make an apex/flatline kind of barrel, PLEASE tell me. i'd like to know. thanks.
stop whining an play
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 6:15pm

i completely forgot about this.

link

i havent dealt with this in almost a year, and i have no idea as to what happened. i believe at last test, i got maybe a 10 or so foot distance gain.

im still gonna tweak it a bunch, eventually. but till then, you could try messing with the design.

Edited by DeTrevni - 05 July 2006 at 6:15pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

AlienA-5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlienA-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 6:55pm
ok that sounds really cool. i put about 1 inch of double stick tape and put it inside the front tip of the barrel. i was wondering though, how do you "stick" the teflon ribbon to the inside of the barrel?
stop whining an play
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 7:05pm
meh. i said it was a work in progress, i just used tape...

AlienA-5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlienA-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 7:38pm
okee dokee ill think of somethin'
stop whining an play
paintballking77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballking77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 8:36pm
right....
Chris the Champ!
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

i completely forgot about this.

link

i havent dealt with this in almost a year, and i have no idea as to what happened. i believe at last test, i got maybe a 10 or so foot distance gain.

im still gonna tweak it a bunch, eventually. but till then, you could try messing with the design.

heh.  i completely forgot that was you that did that....  it was one of the more interesting threads in ideas
X
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 9:03pm

I just kinda gave up on it with the advent of the Apex. It would be a LOT cheaper just to use tape, so I'm gonna have to start messin' with that again. Get the proper lengths, etc. down.

sniper6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 12:49am

You could only put the tape at the end because if you put it the whole length and there was teflon on the bottom the ball would stretch on one side and become compressed on the other.  The ball would either break or when it got out of the barrel fly wildly.  Like a weak or bent arrow.  It is physically impossible to have a single solid object spin at two different speeds.  It would tear the ball apart.

It ma work if the tape is just at the end.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 12:51am
Yeah, I was experimenting with it after I posted my idea, and found tape just at the end works better than tape all the way through. I still haven't worked out the best length yet...

Edited by DeTrevni - 08 August 2006 at 12:52am

pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 2:32am
how about this idea for a stock barrel hop up:

1. take a bench grinder and shave off a few centimetres of the top of the barrel
2. stretch rubber tubing/balloon neck/glove finger over end of barrel

rubber should gently "grab" the top of the ball and spin it. same idea as apex.
Eat The Brisket
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 3:22am

Or a condom!

It seems like a good idea. However, I think you might need something less "givey." Something a little firmer, but you might be on to something...

Edited by DeTrevni - 08 August 2006 at 3:23am

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 5:06am
^^^i could see you going into a gas station asking for unlubed condoms... and then try to tell the cashier you're doing an experiment...
X
pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 11:32am
even better, ask for condoms with an inner diameter of 3/4"

tell the cashier they are for you.

seriously though, i think latex tubing would be the way to go because it would be better able to handle the high pressure blast behind the ball. that and you would port the barrel like crazy where the tubing starts.
Eat The Brisket
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic