Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hydrotesting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tripwire98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydrotesting
    Posted: 04 July 2006 at 10:33am
Where can you generally get your Co2 tanks hydrotested.
My 9oz just hit its hydrotest date, and i need to find out where to get the procedure done, and how much it costs. I dont need exact ocations, just any kinds of shops where you can get this done.
Thnx.

Edited by tripwire98c - 04 July 2006 at 10:34am
"Hey You, Dont tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, Divided we Fall"
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Become a Volunteer bugler at www.buglesacrossamreica.org
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 10:51am
buy a new 9oz.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
HeavyGunner5292 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyGunner5292 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 1:30pm
yea just get a new 1
Pain is the name of the game
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 1:43pm

Originally posted by tripwire98c tripwire98c wrote:

My 9oz just hit its hydrotest date, and i need to find out where to get the procedure done, and how much it costs. I dont need exact ocations, just any kinds of shops where you can get this done.
Thnx.

The cost of having a hydrostatic test done ranges from $16 to $30 any any facility I have contacted. I have found various stores, including WalMart, that have 9 oz cylinders for as low as $12.

Locally a scuba diving store can probably get the test done for you. There are dozens of places advertising on the web that have rock bottom prices, but when you add in the to and from shipping costs, you could buy 2 new cylinders.

Make a wind chime out of the old tank and buy a new one.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 04 July 2006 at 1:44pm
tippya5extreme View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filterdodging/Language 7/17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Thnx.

The cost of having a hydrostatic test done ranges from $16 to $30 any any facility I have contacted. I have found various stores, including WalMart, that have 9 oz cylinders for as low as $12.

Locally a scuba diving store can probably get the test done for you. There are dozens of places advertising on the web that have rock bottom prices, but when you add in the to and from shipping costs, you could buy 2 new cylinders.

Make a wind chime out of the old tank and buy a new one.

do what he said and just buy one.

tippya5extreme
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 4:16pm
The DOT has what is known as the 2 inch and 2 foot rule.
If the CO2 tank you have is made of a aluminum or steel and is less that 2 inches in diameter and less than 2 feet long it is exempt from hydrostatic testing.
Most 9 oz cylinders in paintball fall into this category.
The only tanks that do not meet this exemption are the chrome-moly tanks. Chrome-moly tanks ALL require hydro testing every 5 years.
So...unless you have a 9oz moly tank...you do not need to get it hydro tested. It is good forever.

Here I will cut & paste all the info regarding the 2005 DOT guidelines regarding HPA and CO2 tank testing.
Official 2005 DOT Regulations

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

HPA tanks
There are blanket rules, and exceptions for the the blanket rules. First, the blanket rules.
1 - All fiber-wrapped tanks are to be hydrotested every 3 years, unless the manufacturer specifically indicates ON THE BOTTLE that hydrotesting is due at 5 years. All fiber-wrapped tanks have a maximum lifespan of 15 years, no exceptions.
2 - All steel and aluminum HPA tanks are to be tested every 5 years, with an unlimited lifespan. The only exception to this rule is for steel tanks stamped 3HT, which must be tested every 3 years and have a 24 year lifespan.

CO2 tanks

Again, first the blanket rule.
1 - All CO2 tanks (including those manufactured from chrome-moly alloy) must be hydrotested every 5 years, with unlimited lifespan. The only exception is for tanks under 2 inches in diameter and less than 2 feet in length, these are exempt from testing. NOTE - Chrome-Moly tanks are NOT exempt from testing!! There is a wide belief in the paintball industry that they are exempt, they are not, unless they fall under the 2 inch diameter rule. The 2 inch/2 foot rule will apply mostly to 9-ounce tanks.

Exceptions

There are some "E" codes stamped on some fiber-wrapped HPA bottles. Many people believe that if their bottle is stamped with an "E" code it means they are exempt from testing, this is not true. It means that bottle falls under an exemption from the blanket rule in some specification, but that exemption may or may not address the hydrotest date. Here are the only listed "E" codes for fiber-wrapped tanks on the DOT site, and how they will affect your bottle.

E-07277 - manufacterer SCI, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-09634 - manufacturer Luxfer, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-10915 - manufacturer Luxfer, may be changed to 5-year schedule, this will be explained below.

E-10945, manufacturer SCI, may be changed to 5-year schedulue, as explained below

E-11005, manufacturer Careton Tech, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-11194, manufacturer Careton Tech, may be changed to 5 year schedule, as explained below

E-12479, manufacturer Luxfer, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

5-year test schedule exemption explained - All these bottles still have a maximum service life of 15 years from original manufacture. These bottles were originally manufactured under a 3-year retest schedule, but the manufacturer was allowed by the DOT to move them to a 5-year retest schedule, provided they have been tested/manufactured after a certain date, as applied below.

For exemption code E-10915, if the last test date was before May 11, 2001 then your bottle is still on the 3-year cycle and must be tested every 3 years. If it shows a test date after May 11, 2001 then your bottle is now on a 5-year test schedule.

For exemption codes E-10945 and E-11194, your bottle is on a 3-year test schedule if the last test occurred before July 1, 2001. If your bottle has been tested after that date, you are now on a 5-year test schedule.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
RLTW
GThomas View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Who are you again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 1:13am
Sweet. I thought I was going to have to get my HPA tank tested soon, but apperently its on a 5 year test schedule. Good to know.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 2:30am
yeah Ken nailed it on the head. Theres not much to add to this topic.
BigRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 10:02pm
this is a very informative thread.  kudos to ken for his answer.
98 Custom - CP 12" barrel - Delrin Starfire bolt - Double Trig. - Drop Forward - Rocket Cock II - FieldStrip Thumbscrew Kit - Red Dot Elec. Pistol Scope - Butt Plate & combat strap w/ rear swivel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 12:38pm
Thanks guys
No my tank is a Tippmann tank that came with my gun, so im gonna buy a new one.
Thanks again
"Hey You, Dont tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, Divided we Fall"
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 12:45pm

Thanks guys
No my tank is a Tippmann tank that came with my gun, so im gonna buy a new one.
Thanks again

Didn't Ken's info indicate to you that you do not have to have your 9 oz tank hydro-tested and thus do not have to discontinue using it? Print out that information from Ken and keep it in your equipment box  in case some filling station person hassles you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 12:58pm
Ok, thnx
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 1:06pm

signature: IT IS NOT ENOUGH, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!

But, Sophie Marceau might be!!! 

My bad , just couldn't resist.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 06 July 2006 at 1:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 6:06pm
he he he
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic