Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lubing the CVX valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chrisb319 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisb319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lubing the CVX valve
    Posted: 23 June 2006 at 3:37pm
I just received a replacement CVX valve for my 98custom, Now do I have to lube anything before I put it in my gun? if so where do I have to lube it?

thanks.,
S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 4:26pm
No, but once it is in your gun, I would lube it to ensure the o-rings aren't dry. Install completely, and drop 10 drops of oil in the ASA. Remove the barrel and hopper from your gun. Gas it up, there is a good chance air will freely flow through it. Shoot 25+ times to get the oil into the valve, if it still hisses shoot some more. It should stop after less than 50 shots. If not, repeat. If that doesn't help, come back and ask
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 4:32pm

Originally posted by Chrisb319 Chrisb319 wrote:

I just received a replacement CVX valve for my 98custom, Now do I have to lube anything before I put it in my gun? if so where do I have to lube it?

thanks.,
You don't have to, but it is not a bad idea. Put a few drops of oil into the as hose opening in the side of the valve before you screw the gas line fitting into the hole.

Once things are back together, dry fire a couple of dozen shots with no barrel on the marker (just to keep oil out of the barrel) to distribute the oil.

Do the oil-in-the-ASA thing after every case of paint, or so, through the marker.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 23 June 2006 at 4:33pm
FA22RaptorF22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FA22RaptorF22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 4:41pm
Yes to lubing, No to oil.  It is a very stupid idea (no offense) to put oil in your asa.  This is just asking for a problem.  You can blow up your tank by doing this.  This would be dangerous to me b/c i use pure oxygen in my gun sometimes (for quietness due to its higher volume).  The oil would come back though the regulator on the tank and ignite with the oxygen due to the heat from filling the tank.  This HAS happened before and it won't oil anything else anyway.

Take the oring that goes on the valve and grease it up with petroleum jelly and clean the power tube.  If you want you can open up the valve and do the same to the seals in there.

Main point?  Lubing is great.  Use oil for major moving parts, such as the bolt and use petroleum jelly for any seals such as orings.

Edited by FA22RaptorF22 - 23 June 2006 at 4:43pm
Please sign up at http://www.tippmannowners.com/ and leave the referrer as me (FA22RaptorF22)and you will be my hero.
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 8:53pm
Tippmann would disagree with you on using petroleum jelly.  Please explain how putting oil in an ASA would harm compressed air ( nobody uses pure Oxygen)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FA22RaptorF22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by cus98tom cus98tom wrote:

... ( nobody uses pure Oxygen)...

Well I do...and my point is that it is harmful to o2 and is pointless to do anyway.

Edited by FA22RaptorF22 - 23 June 2006 at 9:32pm
Please sign up at http://www.tippmannowners.com/ and leave the referrer as me (FA22RaptorF22)and you will be my hero.
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 10:18pm
Again please explain why 99.9999999% of the paintball players putting oil in the ASA  are wrong, and why would you use a gas that reacts with almost everything.

Edited by cus98tom - 23 June 2006 at 10:35pm
NJnets5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJnets5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 10:35pm
you dont have to lube it...
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by FA22RaptorF22 FA22RaptorF22 wrote:

Yes to lubing, No to oil.  It is a very stupid idea (no offense) to put oil in your asa.  This is just asking for a problem.  You can blow up your tank by doing this.  This would be dangerous to me b/c i use pure oxygen in my gun sometimes (for quietness due to its higher volume).  The oil would come back though the regulator on the tank and ignite with the oxygen due to the heat from filling the tank.  This HAS happened before and it won't oil anything else anyway.

Take the oring that goes on the valve and grease it up with petroleum jelly and clean the power tube.  If you want you can open up the valve and do the same to the seals in there.

Main point?  Lubing is great.  Use oil for major moving parts, such as the bolt and use petroleum jelly for any seals such as orings.

Do not listen to anything this kid said.

Usuing pure oxygen is a big NO-NO.  NEVER EVER USE OXYGEN ON A PAINTBALL GUN. Not only does it opperate at the wrong preassures and temps, but it is highly flammible and explosive.  DO NOT USE O2.

Oil in the ASA is perfectly fine, as mentioned before be sure to get all the oil out of the valve before you put your barrel back on otherwise your shots will be very innacurate.

NEVER use petrollum jelly, it will eat your o-rings.  Always use Hoppes #9 if you can find it or whichever brand Tippmann tells you to.  Petrollum oil is a NO.  When you apply oil to the o-ring just run enough to coat it, dont drown the parts with oil.  Remember to wash off all oil and dirt before oiling your marker. 

Best of luck!

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Chrisb319 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisb319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 11:05pm
I don't know how petrolium jelly came into the discussion but I got all the answers I needed.

Thanks Guys.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 4:40am

If it is true that FA22 sometimes fills his HPA tank with oxygen, we will be reading about him in the Darwin Awards one of these days. Cylinders that are used for high pressure oxygen have to be to be specifically designated for that service. There is just a bit of extra effort to make sure there is no oil or grease remaining from the manufacturing process.

I own several welding gas cylinders. If one needs to, an oxygen cylinder can be converted to hold other gasses. But, no other cylinder that has ever been filled with any other gas can be converted to an oxygen cylinder. There is just too much possibility that the tank could have become contaminated with oil, grease or other flammable material. The tank cannot be cleaned well enough to be returned to oxygen service, a federal regulatory law.

If there is oil, even the smallest amount, inside a cylinder being filled with pressurized oxygen spontaneous combustion will occur converting the bottle into a shrapnel bomb. A cylinder that has been filled several times with compressed air may well have become contaminated with oil residue from the compressor. Not likely, but paintball field compressors are not maintained as well as a scuba shop compressor is.

When at home, testing changes I have made in my marker, I will sometimes fill my tank from my argon cylinder (a non-flammable and non-combustion supporting gas). Filling with oxygen is like playing Russian Roulette  with a bullets in all chambers. Deadly dangerous and extremely foolhardy.

As for putting oil in the ASA: If you are using compressed air or nitrogen (sometimes you'll actually find a field using nitrogen) there is no danger  created by getting oil contamination in the tank. In fact the regulator used in the neck valves on these tanks need lubrication just like the secondary regulators need on occasion. I actually put a drop or two of oil in the quick connect fitting before attaching the hose to fill my tank. If your tank valve leaks, then just like the marker's power valve, that drop or two of oil may fix it.

Now another bit of information that FA22 doesn't appear to have. The pin valves on HPA tanks are one way valves. You cannot fill the bottle through the valve, like you do on a CO2 bottle, even if you wanted to. Since there is no back flow through the HPA valve, oil in the ASA cannot get pushed back into the tank. And as I said, with compressed air or nitrogen, even if there were oil back flow, it would make no difference.

cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 9:23am
Thank you Bruce, maybe you'll save this kids life, I knew you were a welder and used O2 on the job. I was hoping you would respond , and point out the FACTS. ( and you did). Thanks again.
S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 9:58am
Originally posted by NJnets5 NJnets5 wrote:

Amazing. There you go again posting stuff you don't have a clue about...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FA22RaptorF22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 11:02am
Originally posted by S\/\/4T-L()G4N S\/\/4T-L()G4N wrote:

Originally posted by NJnets5 NJnets5 wrote:

Amazing. There you go again posting stuff you don't have a clue about...

HEHE, after this whole debate, we get this...and you guys though i was bad...

Now on the other hand,  Yes using o2 is like asking for problem....but when used in the proper fashion such as making sure no oil is present and filling slowly to avoid heat, then you're fine.  I love o2 because you can get much higher volumes of it at lower pressures, it is dead silent to shoot with it.  Put some in a stock 98c and the gun sounded like it had a silencer. (then again regulated down a little)  And o2 can get back into the reg of the tank.  Get this, if stuff can come out of the tank, stuff can go in at the same time.  And yes i know of one way valves and such.  My tank is a dye which of course for the technical record, is a shrader valve.  Take this example.  A bike tire (which uses these valves) You push the pin in while there is gas in it.  What happens?  Air comes out.  Just so happens that you fill it from the same port.  Air goes both ways simultaneously.

As for the Jelly, my uncle, and everyone else with him who are mechanics, working for many years, like 40 or something, has used this method.  B/C it works.  Oil wont seal.  Oil seals for a few seconds and then evaporates or what not, finds a way out, leaving the oring dryed out.  P-Jelly sticks to the oring and seals it to whatever its against...and i have no clue why you would say it will eat them up.  You're thinking the opposite way around.  Anything that was a seal, most of the time, pistons and giant orings, he used p-jelly.  The stuff is great and i have no clue what you are talking about.

O ya...and bruce...for the record...as a welder, shouldn't you have been able to tap your own lpc instead of using a t-fitting...and if you want proof all this works...ill make a vid of me filling my tank to 3-4000 psi o2 and then shooting my gun at 36 bps (with paint)...waiting on my new board.

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Do not listen to anything this kid said.

Usuing pure oxygen is a big NO-NO.  NEVER EVER USE OXYGEN ON A PAINTBALL GUN. Not only does it opperate at the wrong preassures and temps, but it is highly flammible and explosive.  DO NOT USE O2....

...NEVER use petrollum jelly, it will eat your o-rings.... Petrollum oil is a NO....

What?  Not the right pressures?  Use the omni-gas ready palmer stabilizer.  Whats a reg for?  O2 is not itself explosive...you breathe it. It is called an accelerant.  Hence you add it to a fire, the fire burns hotter.  And Petrollum oil?  NO. Petrolleum Jelly.

Just to say...id use o2 over most gases anyday.  Its quiet and gas effiecent.  Other than having to be extra careful...its great.

End of discussion....well maybe

Edited by FA22RaptorF22 - 24 June 2006 at 11:14am
DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 11:15am

i wanna see you shoot 36 with paint and then watch u clean your gun for 30 min

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FA22RaptorF22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 11:19am
ya ya...well it will have eyes so it will shoot as fast as i can put paint in it...
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 1:35pm

Raptor said:

Now on the other hand,  Yes using o2 is like asking for problem....but when used in the proper fashion such as making sure no oil is present and filling slowly to avoid heat, then you're fine.

You said it yourself.

.  I love o2 because you can get much higher volumes of it at lower pressures, it is dead silent to shoot with it.  Put some in a stock 98c and the gun sounded like it had a silencer. (then again regulated down a little)  And o2 can get back into the reg of the tank.  Get this, if stuff can come out of the tank, stuff can go in at the same time.  And yes i know of one way valves and such.  My tank is a dye which of course for the technical record, is a shrader valve.  Take this example.  A bike tire (which uses these valves) You push the pin in while there is gas in it.  What happens?  Air comes out.  Just so happens that you fill it from the same port.  Air goes both ways simultaneously.

You have no clue, first off O2 is heaver than air , air=1 , O2=1.1, Nitrogen=.8..... Now what weighs more a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks. It takes the work of a compressed gas , de-compressing to shoot a paintball . if it takes 500psi of HPA to move a paintball in specific marker at a specific velocity , it will take the same using the very dangerous O2 . Your examples above are wrong.

Your advocacy of O2 is ludicrous, and so dangerous I wouldn't let you play on any paintball field and if anyone knows him, turn him in for your safety and his.

Edited by cus98tom - 24 June 2006 at 1:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FA22RaptorF22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 1:44pm
Well w/e you say, but i dont play with o2 on fields, i just happen to have an abundance of it at home, so for testing purposes....why not?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 3:16pm

As for layout of my marker, the placement of the Volumizer required an extended fitting to reach through to the power valve. The "T" fitting was only slightly longer and it is aluminum.  I actually like the blue anodized color of the Earl's racing fittings.

You will note that my pressure gauge is installed in the bottom of the Volumizer in a drilled and tapped hole. On my son's 98C, we did drill and tap a hole in the side of the chamber for the hose connection.(old picture)

Back to this oxygen thing. I have been a welder, machinist, welding supply salesman, college welding instructor and have worked in gas cylinder filling facilities. If you are actually filling a paintball HPA tank with oxygen, you are walking the ragged edge of the potential for serious injury.

Now, as to the absurd statement that oxygen is heavier and thus quieter to shoot than compressed air is about a bogus as it gets. Air is composed of about 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. On the Periodic chart Ni and O are virtually next to each other (atomic weight). The argon that I use on occasion for testing is much heavier than either and there is no difference in the loudness of the report from the marker. You are advocating, using oxygen, something that is potentially an extreme danger for a player to do and you are making it even more enticing by stating that it has some advantage over compressed air or nitrogen.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 24 June 2006 at 3:46pm
MoNkeY Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNkeY Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by DsXz DsXz wrote:

i wanna see you shoot 36 with paint and then watch u clean your gun for 30 min

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic