FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Superlight 98 Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Superlight 98 Mod
    Posted: 20 June 2006 at 10:26am

I want to do the Superlight 98 mod which is basically screwing a bunch of holes in the trigger frame to make the gun lighter.

I was wondering what I could use to screw through the steel frame of the 98 custom?  I was going to use a drill and some drill bits (couldn't find them right now so I figured I'd stop wasting my time looking for them if they wren't going to work anyway. 

So would the drill bits work if they were about 3/4 inch big or would they break or not go through the steel?

jrod1321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod1321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 10:42am
the 98 isnt made out of steel, just make sure you dont drill through anything important
Evil PIMP
Smart Parts ION
2-98 customs
Ariakon Sim4
Ariakon Overlord
Mech DragunFly
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 10:49am
Ya so drill bits would be able to screw through it then?
NJnets5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJnets5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 11:11am
what does this mod do?
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 11:26am

Did you read the first post that is in this thread.  I said right in that first thread "is basically screwing a bunch of holes in the trigger frame to make the gun lighter"  Hence the name for the mod is "Superlight 98 Mod".

Edited by phil_stl - 20 June 2006 at 12:16pm
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 11:44am
I guess drill bits would work, but I think it'll look retarded with a bunch of holes in the triggerframe. 98s arent that heavy, suck it up.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 12:18pm
Who will see the holes anyway?? NO ONE!! There are grips that go on the trigger frame and therefore no one will see why my 98 custom is lighter than others!
rossy11223 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossy11223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 1:32pm
I doubt drilling a few holes would create a noticeable change in the weight of the gun. I suppose drill bits would work though.
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 1:39pm
okay thanks
aGUYnamedLARRY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aGUYnamedLARRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 1:41pm
Yeah really,  if you want it to be light  get a remote or one of the small 50 round hoppers,  or both.
In a world where everyone has gone mad, only the lunatic is truly sane.
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 1:56pm

Check out my signature... I have a remote. 

I have a R5 ricochet hopper for my cyclone feed and I like it a lot hold 220 balls hardly gets hit keeps up with my fast shooting during speedball so I don't think I am going to get a tac cap.

I just like doing things to make my gun better or more customized/modded.  I just think I'd like it better lighter.

I use it for speedball and woodsball and a long day of paintball especially speedball when you are trying to move quick or snap shoot well the gun seems a little heavy -- well it's not that bad (it is half a pound lighter than an A-5) but I just want it even lighter.

FyreFly View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FyreFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 2:38pm
You can always do some milling to the recievers.  Not only taking off the rear sight and lettering, but removing the upper part of the receiver where the linkage arm is, and removing the lower part of the receiver where the VA hose runs into the valve. 

BTW, I hope you have a Dremel or fine toothed file around to smooth out your receiver after your done drilling holes.  Be sure and plan out what exactly your going to be removing and what your going to be keeping.

System X NME LE
WGP Orracle Cocker
Tippmann A-5 E-Grip & LPK
Tippmann 98C Flatline & LPK
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 4:32pm
The hammer makes up a good chunk of the weight in the back of the gun.   Do the lightened hammer mod instead.
paintballinbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballinbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 5:02pm

wouldn't this mod just make the gun really front-heavy?

i have a cyclone, R/T, and expansion chamber on my gun. i've never had a problem with it being too heavy, even with the cyclone filled, and CO2 hooked up to the ASA. try lifting weights.

98 Custom
milled;painted;J&J Ceramic;X-Chamber;R/T;Cyclone.
KoolKidsKlan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has a gerbil fetish and likes 2 share it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoolKidsKlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 5:26pm
Go ahead try it, but IMO It's not really worth it.

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 5:26pm
don't take out too many holes, your fame will break off...
X
SuzukiRider987 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzukiRider987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 5:33pm
   You can drill holes, although I'd just cut a large square/rectangle out, as I did. Trace a line where the grips go, and cut out any part inside your lines. Or drill holes inside the line (make sure your drill bits are sharp, or they will slide around or you, making it harder to get your holes started. Not to mention it will take longer to drill.). And if you take off enough material, it will be lighter to the point where you can notice it.
   MacDev Militia
   Alien - Because winning is more fun.
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

don't take out too many holes, your fame will break off...

heh....

The 98 is light as heck, what are you complaining about :P
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 11:17pm
If you can't carry around a gun for awile you might buy some dumbbells instead and lift those for awile then go lift your marker and see how light your gun is then.
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2006 at 2:04am
Originally posted by barn_user barn_user wrote:

If you can't carry around a gun for awile you might buy some dumbbells instead and lift those for awile then go lift your marker and see how light your gun is then.
i might try that... 
X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic