Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

can i get the forum guitarists’ opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can i get the forum guitarists’ opinions?
    Posted: 17 June 2006 at 5:41pm

i attempted to learn to play guitar a while ago, but the cheap squire i had broke. and instead of paying the hefty price my shop wants for repairs, i found a nifty new guitar over musicians friend. I need to know if i should waste my money on this guitar, or is it a pos? im not looking for extreme quality, mind you. i just need a base to learn from. its a semi-hollow from Oscar Schmidt of Washburn.

ph33r teh link

edit: im considering the tobacco sunburst or the black one.

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 June 2006 at 10:38pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 6:09pm
i know nothing of the subject. feel free to buy it.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 6:12pm

why thank you, good sir. your knowledge and expertise is always appreciated.

id say something witty right now, but you offered to help me, so i cant be mean.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry it’s Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 6:36pm
Personally, I'm not an Oscar fan.  Get a nice, cheap little Epiphone, then when you get better, you can just slap an EMG 85 in the bridge, and an 81 in the neck position.  Maybe a new neck and fretboard.

Epiphones are great starters, and upgrade nicely.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 6:51pm

well, im not looking to "shred" the thing, im just looking to play some mellow, smooth rythms. thats why i want a semi-hollow. maybe strum some chords, do some pickin, and if i want to, the oscar is capable of good old fashioned distorted rock.

because of the old squire i had, i've got a strap, cable and amp, so i can focus on the guitar.

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 June 2006 at 6:52pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry it’s Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:02pm
Oh, well Epiphone also makes some decent Semi-Hollow.  But for the price, I would say go with the Oscar.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:08pm

yeah, i just found the epiphone semi-hollow. $279. not bad.

link

i like the looks of the oscar better, though.

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 June 2006 at 7:08pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry it’s Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:14pm
Worn Vintage Sunburst > Oscar.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:20pm

worn vintage sunburst 2.5x the cost of the oscar as well.

maybe if i get good one day, ill get me a good one. but im just starting right now, so i dont want to spend too much.

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 June 2006 at 7:21pm

FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:27pm
I would stick with fender. I have a starcaster i really like.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:31pm

starcaster?

for some reason, i just dont like fender that much.

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 June 2006 at 7:32pm

benttwig33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Whiner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benttwig33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:05pm
fender standard strat?

I'm not a fan of the body iof that guitar :P

Im mainly a bassist anywho
Sig is WAY too big.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:12pm
i figured a stratocaster. i had a squire strat, but didnt like it too much. overrated i think...

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:27pm

Yeah, you want warm, mellow tone, a Strats not what you want. I'd go with the Epiphone-lot's of pros use Epiphones. They're not as cheaply made as alot of people think. I think George Harrison (sp?) played an ES Epiphone. Of course an Epi ES is pretty expensive, but not compared to the Gibson. Gibson/Epiphone hollow-bodies have their own tone that you can instantly recognize. Single-coil strats are made as a foundation to build on-you add a tone enhancer like a Tube Screamer, and nothing matches a Strat. They just put out alot. But for what you play, I think the Epiphone would be perfect.

And Musician's Friend is great-but if you've got a guitar center anywhere around you, I'd recommend that. GC is a great experience, and they're the friendliest store around.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:32pm
i might look into prices at GC. until then, i posted pics of the oscar schmidts. remember, im just lookin for a starter. i did see an epiphone hollow body for 275 over musician's friend. 375 for the sunburst. i like it, but im not rich. currently, around 200 is all i can afford...

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 June 2006 at 9:33pm

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:44pm

I'll admit they do look good...I've just never played an Oscar.

The main thing is how it plays-if you're a beginner, you'll want one with a low play (the strings are closer to the fretboard) so you can learn bends and vibratos alot easier. You might find that a Les Paul junior fits what you want-they're like $100, they're sunburst, they sound pretty good for the price, and they're built for beginners. I've noticed that hollow-bodies usually have a higher play than Strats and LP's-keep that in mind.

But whatever you go with, have fun dude it's the greatest hobby there is. I play my Strat at least 1-4 hours a day-it's like crack cocaine for me.

Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:49pm
Washburn?! EWWWWWWWWW. If you're looking for hollow body, go epiphone.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 10:38pm

well, if cedric actually answered one of my questions, then it must be true!

welly well, i found an ibanez thats nice. expensive, but if i pay in installments, i should be good...

Transparent Blue

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 June 2006 at 10:38pm

barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by benttwig33 benttwig33 wrote:

fender standard strat?

I'm not a fan of the body iof that guitar :P

Im mainly a bassist anywho

Good to see a fellow bassist! What do you have for a setup?
I really don't know much on the subject of guitars and that kind of stuff so I can't really say anything useful except look into it and get all the details.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 10:50pm
Ibanez guitars have no soul, man. I'm telling you. Look into epiphones. Trust me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic