Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

can i get the forum guitaristsí opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can i get the forum guitaristsí opinions?
    Posted: 20 June 2006 at 3:52am
Dean guitars are some of the most underrated out there....they're really good guitars with lots of output.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 3:42am
Well all together my little set-up is going to cost around $320 which isn't to bad, but... I'm only starting out so I don't need Worlock or somthing.

My litte set-up comes with.

• Horizon Speaker Cable 16g 20ft
  • Fender 351 pick pack .73mm
  • Musicians friend's Elite Acustic Gig Bag
  • Drive CD 200B 20W Bass Combo(not the biggest amp, but... I only need it for practice)
  • Dean 09 4-string Bass
  • Fender impact guitar Strap(Black Skull)
  • Korg CA-40 Electronic Chromatic Tuner
I think thats basically all I need.

Edited by Panda Man - 20 June 2006 at 4:02am
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 3:37am

Starter packs are an oxymoron. Why start a beginner out with a toneless, unreliable, hard to play, and basically useless musical instrument? You'll pay about $150 for a decent (I use the term loosely) starter kit, when $250 will get you a fairly decent acoustic to learn on, and if you have to have an electric Epiphone makes nice guitars for under $300, and you can find a Mexican Strat for like $250-$400 (the average player won't be able to tell the difference between a Mexican and American strat just by playing). Then you can get a halfway decent amp from Marshall, Fender, or Crate for around $200-$300.

The problem is that most people don't realize that music is an investment, just like paintball, or cheap Asian hookers. The more you put in, the more you get out. Good equipment doesn't come cheap-but you'll never really start playing until you find that tone you want.

I've been playing for ten years, and I just now got the tone I want (three thousand dollars in amps later...).

And on a side note-I've got a Squier Strat I beat up on occasionally for a "rough practice" guitar. Actually doesn't sound half bad-it's all in how you play it.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 2:47am
good choice, ive never been fond of "starter packs" ever since my squire screwed up. plus, the stuff that came with it sucked. im in the process of talking my parents into letting me do the payment plan for the epiphone i want. that way, ill have cash to up my rainmaker and cocker as well.

Edited by DeTrevni - 20 June 2006 at 2:47am
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 2:13am
Well I decided not to go with that Epiphone Bass, I talked to my neighbor who has been playing Bass since christ was a small Child(he's the one who is basically going to teach me) and he told me Dean makes some really good Bass's he has a Dean Edge 5-string and he tolled me it's held up very well since he's had it.

Also he tolled me those "beginner packs" are kinda cheezy and not to well thrown together(tuners are rough, and the Amps that come with them are usally only 10Wats and blow easy) and said its better to buy everything seperate. So... looks like I'm going with a Dean 09 4-string hopefully everything works out.

Bass

There is a pic if anyone cares.(hopefully not)

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2006 at 9:08am
Epiphone makes decent basses.  But if you want a good bass that will last you a long time, I suggest ESP LTD.  I have one, and I love it.  My 254 puts out great tone, and is very adjustable tone-wise because of the active electronics and pickups.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:02am
I know this isn't my thread, but how good are the Epiphone Bass's? I'm thinking about Buying a Starter kit that they make, but not sure... if Epiphone is as good as some of you guys say I see why not...

well anyway, here's a link to it.

Epiphone EB-0 kit
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:00pm

so there's hope for me yet! i dont want an ibanez, i was just throwin that out there.

small history:
-acoustic guitar: $20 walmart. i was 8. didnt even try. got rid of it.

-electric bass: ibanez, broke of its own accord. dont want another.

-electric guitar: squire strat, my friend dissected it to see if he could puthumbuckers  on it. still worked, but not well. sold it to sister, where it broke soon after. its okay, i never liked it...

-decided to get epiphone. lookin at a nice hollow body. i never wanted to "shred" or use crazy distortion, so for a mellow tone, im looking at the hollow body or a Les Paul model. both about the same price.

so ibanez=crap, and i dont like the fender/squire style. LP's and archtops for me.

Edited by DeTrevni - 18 June 2006 at 5:01pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 4:53pm
Ibanez makes some decent bass amplifiers, I have one to practice at home, and I like it a lot.  The guitars... not so much.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 4:47pm
Go for a crate amp. I have one, and it's great. Also, if you get the ibanez, I'll never like you.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 4:42pm
from what im hearing, there is still some debate on the amps. ill just mess around with them and figure out which one i like the best.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 4:37pm
Marshall are so overrated.  Personally, I like Crate amps.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 3:23pm

im getting a lot of great responses on this question, its all greatly appreciated. I think i found a nice epiphone i like (the one at the top of this page), and if all goes well, i can get it fairly soon. As for an amp, the one ive got now is crap, so i might head down to my dad's friend's pawn shop. i can get some good amps there for next to nothing, since he gives us a major discount. ill check out the marshall.

thanks again for the help.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 3:10pm

Ibanez guitars are hit and miss. You'll either get a really good one, or a really crappy one. I believe Satriani plays a custom Ibanez...I could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure he does.

It all goes back to the tone you want though-most Ibanez six-strings are built completely with distortion in mind-that's why most pro Ibanez' have humbuckers. I'd still say, in my opinion, that the Epi is your best bet.

Just remember that no matter what guitar you buy, if you have a crappy amp then it doesn't matter anyway.

You can pick up a Marshall VS100 off eBay for $150-$200, and I played through one for literally years. They're valvestates-which means they're a solid state amp with a tube pre-amp. So you get a slight warm-up time, but the tone is smooth and responsive like a real tube amp. Plus, it's a 100 watt 3 channel amp, so you got plenty of volume, an overdrive, and a more drive. And it's a freakin marshall-so you got quality.

My recommendation for you-An epi of some sort,a Marshall VS, and a ferret.

KoolKidsKlan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has a gerbil fetish and likes 2 share it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoolKidsKlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 1:21pm
Ibanez. It's a reliable company. I have an Ibanez bass, I love it. Only cost like 300 bucks but plays so well.

Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:14am

Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:03am
Hmm. I've never played one. My best advice is for you to head down to your nearest guitar center and just play all of the hollow bodies that interest you. You'll find one that will just click with you.

Dandb09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandb09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:03am
Yeah epiphone are great guitars. I bought my Les Paul off of Musician Friends. 
Formally known as Dan_db09

A-5
Flatline
X-core
Dead On Double Trig
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 10:36am
See what happens when you contradict my advice?  A lot of other people come in and tell you the exact same thing 
GThomas View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Who are you again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 3:33am
Go with an epiphone, they are great guitars for the price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic