FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I GOT SHOT IN THE EYE WEARING SCOTT MASK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I GOT SHOT IN THE EYE WEARING SCOTT MASK
    Posted: 15 June 2006 at 10:56am

This is a story about me getting shot in the eye while wearing the Scott mask.  I will then tell you about my special customization mod for this mask.

Okay I have Scott goggles (I got them when getting the Tippmann 98C powerpack) and I actually really like them or did like them.  They fit very well on my head after I started wearing a hat backwards underneath them and Ive only had them fog up once.  But the last time I played, which was a big event with about 500 people (The Phoenix Project) I got shot in the mask.  But not just anywhere in the mask - the ball hit one of the air vents on the mask and exploded and went through the air vents for the lens and pieces of shell and paint splattered into my left eye.  Look at the pic below to see what I'm saying.

Shot Thru Mask Picture

It was so painful like I mean incredibly painful.  My eye burnt like crazy, yes that oil from paintballs really burns I honestly mean that it really really burns. Someone (who was a real doctor was playing on my team) and he jumped on me as soon as I started screaming "my eye, my eye" so that I could rip off my mask like I was going to, he and the refs got everyone to stop shooting almost instantly and then they ripped off my mask when everyones gun's were on the ground, a guy had a water bottle and they cleaned out my eye on the field.  I was taken off the field (the field was 9 acres big) by a truck that drove me back to the safe zone were a paramedic that was also playing that day, the paramedic and doctor that saw my eye said it looks like it was going to be okay but my eye was still burning a lot and I still felt something in my top and bottom eyelids (it was a piece of the shell; my eye burned continuously for the entire day and even into that night). 

From the field I had to go to emergency (and if you know the emergency rooms in Canada you know that it is a long wait).  So anyway it wasn't too busy that day so it only took 3 -3.5 hours to get looked at by a doctor.  I got the pieces of shell out of my eye, they weren't that big but my eye felt a bit better (still burning).  The doctor had to dye my left eye the color red, he also stuck a special small piece of paper to see if anything was wrong with my eye (very painful) - many bright lights and drops of stuff into my eye (also very painful/uncomfortable). I found out that I had a cornea abrasion (kind of like scratches on my eye). The doctor gave me some antibiotic drops for my eye and some Tylenol 3's.  

So anyway the conclusion is that I still have my eye but the pain I went through that entire day and night for wearing the Scott mask wasn't worth it, even though I find the mask comfortable. 

So because I can't just tell random cool stories like this in this topic board this post is a customization mod on the Scott goggles.  Step 1 - Take the mask apart. Step 2 - Stick tape over the bottom of the lens ventilation holes.  Step 3 Put mask back together.  Then if get you shot there, you don't have to go through what I did.  How does that sound? You can do the same thing for any mask that doesn't have plastic guards underneath the eye ventalation holes.  Look at the picture below to see what it would look like.

Modded Mask Picture

Or you can also just buy better goggles than the Scott mask.

Or you could not do either and if it happens to you, you could sue Tippmann for selling it to you (if you bought the powerepack) or sue the company Scott. lol I'm just joking.  Hey wait I wonder if I could do that?? lol (**asking if I could sue Tippmann on the Tippmann website**.) Good Times. lol

Anyway tell me how you liked this post I want to hear your comments!!

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 10:59am
Technically you can sue for anything..

This is one for Rambino.

Ask him what your legal options are when he comes on.
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 11:25am

Okay then I guess I will ask him.

It happened 2 Sundays ago so I remember all the details, well maybe I made it too long though with all the details?

Did you like the story (I tried to make it interesting) or maybe I had too many details and dragged it on too long?  Tell me what you guys think...

Actually I'm making a Poll - it will be fun even though I probably wont sue anyone, I like getting peoples opinion. Take the poll and tell me if I should sue Tippmann or Scoot Mask for this.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 11:31am

Yes, you can sue for anything (even in Canada).  Of course, that doesn't mean that you would win.  In this case, you would lose very fast, IMO.

The lens didn't break.  The paint went through the vents, AFTER the paintball broke.  If an entire paintball had made its way through the vents that might be a different story, but that is not what happened here.  Basically, there is no way you could have suffered harm from this incident (assuming regular, non-toxic paintballs).  Discomfort, yes - but injury, no.  And for a paintballer to sue over some discomfort is rather ironic.

So basically the mask did exactly what it is supposed to do.  I have known plenty of paintballers to get cut in the face by paint debris coming through the mask.  This is nothing new.  Who among us hasn't gotten a mouthful of paint?  In fact, I would not be surprised if the small print in the warranty specifically excludes this type of thing.

Then, of course, there is the matter of damages.  Even if you managed to prove that Scott somehow had a duty to protect you from paint debris, or had implied that the mask was intended to protect you from this type of thing, the bottom line is that you were not injured.  The very best you could hope for would be to cover your medical expenses for the ER visit.  Since you live in Canada, that would not be a big number at all.

Lastly, if you somehow managed to sue Scott for a zillions dollars over this, you would fall into that large category of hated people who "ruined it for the rest of us", as masks would now have solid bottoms without proper ventilation, and paintball would suck just a little more.

phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 11:46am

Thanks but I wasn't going to sue anyway.  Here in Canada not many people sue unless there is a really good reason (and having Scott pay for my University is not a good enough reason, lol).  Plus the doctors on feild and at ER were so good to me and helped me alot and you're right I'm completly fine. 

I really just wanted to tell the story and hear what people though, and then I decided the poll would be fun but I couldn't do that in the same thread.

So anyway thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by phil_stl phil_stl wrote:

Thanks but I wasn't going to sue anyway.  Here in Canada not many people sue unless there is a really good reason (and having Scott pay for my University is not a good enough reason, lol).  Plus the doctors on feild and at ER were so good to me and helped me alot and you're right I'm completly fine. 

I really just wanted to tell the story and hear what people though, and then I decided the poll would be fun but I couldn't do that in the same thread.

So anyway thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Got any idea as to the brand of paint? I have gotten splattered in the eye, even some shell, on several occasions. I have never suffered pain like that.

BTW, don't know if they told you, and for the benefit of others who might not understand the damage to your eye, the cornea, unless actually cut deeply, fills in and completely heals from minor scratches usually leaving no defect in your vision. It is an amazing part of the eye.

Also, I have found aluminum window screen over those vents (on the outside of the goggle) stops everything but the liquid from getting through.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 15 June 2006 at 2:39pm
seal160 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seal160 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 2:45pm

If I had to vote I would vote for
#1 Don't sue   --and--
#5 Beat up the dude that shot you!  ------ or at least bunker him. (Kidding)

Write a letter to Scott and Tippmann to ask them to Fix this flaw you have encountered in their masks! 
That means 1. recall of masks or 2. New masks or 3. They will just ignor you...

Don't sue....don't be like some of the Americans who sue for the most dumbest things in the world... (It's true right??)

---Team Leader---
Gasdrinker View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language 6/27

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gasdrinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 2:57pm
I was also at the Phoenix Project at Flagraiders and I must say, you being the ONLY accident the entire day is crazy, due to the ammount of people there! The game got stopped to get you out! That was great work from the people out there. Did the FR people take you to the hospital?? Don't sue, your Canadian, not american.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Edited by Gasdrinker - 15 June 2006 at 3:03pm
Tippmann A-5/Zeus G1
E-Grip /w APE board
QEV
Vortex
Flatline
Dye UL 14 in.
R5 Hopper
Lapco offset rail with Tac Light/Scope
OpsGear MP5 Sliding Stock
OpsGear MP5 Mag kit
SpecOps Front grip
KoolKidsKlan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has a gerbil fetish and likes 2 share it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoolKidsKlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 4:29pm
That sucks, but atleast you have somthing to tell your kids.

Squishey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squishey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 4:41pm
sorta the same thing happened to me(not nearly as bad)i was using dye invisions. the ball broke the mask apart at the goggle frame and mouth gaurd and hit me just to right of my nose. i didn't have to go to the hospital or anything like that but it was scary.
Canadians do it on top.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 5:04pm

3-3.5 thats actually not bad. thats what you get for free healthcare i suppose.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
jrod1321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod1321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 7:38pm

two kids i know were ****ing around and one thinks it would be funny to shoot the other pointblank in the forehead with his paintball gun....guess what, he missed his forehead and dam near tore his left eyeball in half..he is still in the hospital, this happened four days ago...the doctors dont think he will ever see out of that eye again

natural selecton at its worst...this kid is no longer my friend (he was more like an acquantance) i dont plan on speaking to him ever again....he is an idiot i dont associate with idiots...i feel sorry for the other kid and you should too, the kid was in a couple of my classes and he is a pretty decent guy, he didnt deserve this at all....i wouldnt wish that upon my worst enemy, i never wanted to see it happen to a friend

this story goes along with the direction of this thread, please let me know if you have seen this happen before to a friend...i want to make sure im not the only around that has been this close to an actual shot in the eye occurance

Edited by jrod1321 - 15 June 2006 at 7:42pm
Evil PIMP
Smart Parts ION
2-98 customs
Ariakon Sim4
Ariakon Overlord
Mech DragunFly
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by jrod1321 jrod1321 wrote:

two kids i know were ****ing around and one thinks it would be funny to shoot the other pointblank in the forehead with his paintball gun....guess what, he missed his forehead and dam near tore his left eyeball in half..he is still in the hospital, this happened four days ago...the doctors dont think he will ever see out of that eye again

natural selecton at its worst...this kid is no longer my friend (he was more like an acquantance) i dont plan on speaking to him ever again....he is an idiot i dont associate with idiots...i feel sorry for the other kid and you should too, the kid was in a couple of my classes and he is a pretty decent guy, he didnt deserve this at all....i wouldnt wish that upon my worst enemy, i never wanted to see it happen to a friend

this story goes along with the direction of this thread, please let me know if you have seen this happen before...i want to make sure im not the only around that has

Do you have a link to or the name of a local newspaper with anything about this incident?

UV Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UV Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 7:50pm
  You know, Last weekend, I got shot on the cheek part of my JT Proteus mask, and it did what it was supposed to do- the ball never touched my face.  I wiped my mask, and my face off after that game but, over time though, I noticed that my cheek (which had gotten the splatter, and no shell cuts) started to feel irritated.  Not like there were cuts that were stinging but instead, the whole area started to feel warm.  I eventually rinsed it off with some water and that fixed the problem.
  Now, this wasn't the first time (by a long shot) that I had ever gotten paint on my face (or anywhere else on my skin for that matter) but, this was the first time I've ever had that kind of sensation.

I've also noticed that some recent paints (evil, draxxus, etc) that seem to have a chemical smell when you bust one open.  I'm beginning to wonder how "non-toxic" paint is these days.  It used to be that at the big games, there would be paintball eating contests.  Paint never tasted good but, it used to be odorless.  My Evil box says "all-natural, biodegradable, non-toxic, and non-irritating" (with "Do Not Eat" stated elsewhere).  While the Blaze only says "washable, non-toxic and biodegradable".  
M98C- W/QwkStrpCut
Comp Air & Palmer Fatty Stab
Gas-Thru Stock
Lapco Sight Rail W/ADCO 30MM EDOT
Qloader W/ CMS
Freak SS W/Stif-Tip * Flatline * Armson Stealth
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:03pm
I used to have the scott mask and I got shot in the jawbone, trust me it hurt ALOT. Now I have a nice little dent right there :P
jrod1321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod1321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

this story goes along with the direction of this thread, please let me know if you have seen this happen before...i want to make sure im not the only around that has

Do you have a link to or the name of a local newspaper with anything about this incident?

no, they never reported it...i dont think their parents wanted it to go public...this is true, i have no reason to make it up...they are idiots with a paintball gun, they have told me before that they tricked people into going outside to get something, and as soon as he got out of the door the dumbass shoot him 10 times as he was running away...idiots, im tellin ya
Evil PIMP
Smart Parts ION
2-98 customs
Ariakon Sim4
Ariakon Overlord
Mech DragunFly
sleeperone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeperone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 9:00pm
I have an Extreme Rage mask. I took duck tape (my best friend) and taped along the jaw line of the mask (from cheek to cheek) for about three times So the chin is extended about 5 to 6 inches from the chin. This way my neck is protected. I also use the black plastic screen used for windows over the lens of my mask. Not to make sure the paint does't do what happend to the dude that started this post but to cut down on sun glare. It hangs a bit loose from the lenses and does work on cutting down the glare.
Aim once.....
Shoot Often!!
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 1:01am

Originally posted by Gasdrinker Gasdrinker wrote:

I was also at the Phoenix Project at Flagraiders and I must say, you being the ONLY accident the entire day is crazy, due to the ammount of people there! The game got stopped to get you out! That was great work from the people out there. Did the FR people take you to the hospital?? Don't sue, your Canadian, not american.

I hope you are feeling better now.

I obviously won't sue it.  I'm fine and the people that helped me were fast and awsome even the doctor that helped me at ER really knew what he was doing.  It was only 1 day of pain and discomfort and I can have many more days of fun playing paintball still.  I wouldn't want people sueing paintball companies especially myself because it gives paintball a bad rep or a worse one than it already has.

Oh ya the flag raiders people were going to drive me to ER but I called my Dad and he was able to.  The FR Crew was really awesome that day.  Ya I'm feeling fine now Thanks!

phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 1:02am

this story goes along with the direction of this thread, please let me know if you have seen this happen before to a friend...i want to make sure im not the only around that has been this close to an actual shot in the eye occurance

Wow that is acctually horrible I have never seen this happen.  Only heard of idiots that shot when people are not wearing googles.  I definitly can't complain if I compair myself to him.  I'm lucky to have my vision and no pain etc.

I can only pray that this poor guy feels better soon.

phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 1:14am

Originally posted by UV Halo UV Halo wrote:

You know, Last weekend, I got shot on the cheek part of my JT Proteus mask, and it did what it was supposed to do- the ball never touched my face.  I wiped my mask, and my face off after that game but, over time though, I noticed that my cheek (which had gotten the splatter, and no shell cuts) started to feel irritated.  Not like there were cuts that were stinging but instead, the whole area started to feel warm.  I eventually rinsed it off with some water and that fixed the problem.
  Now, this wasn't the first time (by a long shot) that I had ever gotten paint on my face (or anywhere else on my skin for that matter) but, this was the first time I've ever had that kind of sensation.

I've also noticed that some recent paints (evil, draxxus, etc) that seem to have a chemical smell when you bust one open.  I'm beginning to wonder how "non-toxic" paint is these days.  It used to be that at the big games, there would be paintball eating contests.  Paint never tasted good but, it used to be odorless.  My Evil box says "all-natural, biodegradable, non-toxic, and non-irritating" (with "Do Not Eat" stated elsewhere).  While the Blaze only says "washable, non-toxic and biodegradable".  

Ya that day that I was shot in the eye I had another head shot earlier on and the paint splattered on my face and after about 30 seconds the paint did also feel warm almost a tiny bit of burning/stinging it wasn't like a pain type of burning but unconfortable.  Then I got to the safe zone and wiped off my face and I was fine but I don't know maybe it is the types of paint. That day we were using All Stars.  If it was the paint that makes the difference it might have not burned my eye as much (when I was shot there) if it was a different type of paint.  -- Like Evils  that as you said "all-natural, biodegradable, non-toxic, and non-irritating"

Or maybe yours and my skin is just sensitive.  (My eye must then also be sensitive too, lol.)

It would be weird though if they were making paint that is now a little stronger or more harsh on the skin?  Why would they though?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic