Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Randomly Stops Re-Cocking Itself.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chrisb319 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisb319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Randomly Stops Re-Cocking Itself.
    Posted: 13 June 2006 at 1:48am
I have this problem with my gun where the gun will randomly uncock itself. I have to unscrew the tank and re cock it and then screw the tank back in place just so it won't mess up. I'm thinking it might be my valve. One of the screws won't stay in shut whenever I shoot it just spits out the screw. I have replaced the screw and it still gives me problems.
GThomas View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Who are you again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 3:02am
First off you don't need to unscrew your tank everytime your gun uncocks, you just have to simply pull the bolt back again into the cocked position. Second, what screw is coming out? Be more specific. And if the gun shoots fine and just uncocks itself every once in a while it is probably your sear or sear spring. Your drive spring might also be old and worn and need replacing. As of now it doesn't sound like a valve problem, a little better description of the problem would be a big help though.
Chrisb319 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisb319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 4:50am
I just installed a new sear spring with the R/T upgrade.

Here is which screw is missing.

Drive Spring, Sear Spring, and Sear.

Right now my Drive Spring Guide Pin is replaced by something else, I'm using something that looks just like it. Think that might be the problem?

Edited by Chrisb319 - 13 June 2006 at 4:53am
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 5:27pm
Yup, that missing screw is the problem. Loose or missing valve bolts cause all sorts of havoc on 98s.

If the screw wont stay in, the valve threading is probably stripped. When you look in the hole, can you see the screw threading still in there or is it all torn up or missing?

If the threading on the valve is shot, youll need to contact Tippmann about it, most likely theyll send you a new valve.

If you just need a new screw, the specs are 10-32 threaded, 1/4" length. You might be able to find a replacement at a hardware store, but you might not. Its an odd length.

If you get a new valve, just remember to be more careful about tightening those screws down. Snug them tight, you dont need to really crank them in there. You can also pick up a small thing of red or blue loctite and put a drop on each of the screws then screw them in. That will keep the screws from wiggling free and getting lost or anything.
PaintballPIMPIN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
STRIKE 1 - NO SELLING ON THE FORUM 3/31

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballPIMPIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:10pm
WOW, thats messed up its either the threads or ur just not tighning enought. if it flys out like ur sayin i think u should get a new valve, not very expensive. the uncocking problem may be from the rear bolt, is it rounded off where the sear catchs, or is it the other way around, is the sear rounded off, check those and update us
Chrisb319 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisb319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 10:02pm

It looks okay to me :)
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:48am
yeah get a new valve and don't strip it this time.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic