FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alright

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
paintbusta View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintbusta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alright
    Posted: 12 June 2006 at 8:37pm
i stipped out the head on the front handle screw on my 98c wut should i do i cant get it out
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 8:42pm
You rounded the screw out? Well, the options are as follows:

Buy a set of EZ Outs. This is a tool you can buy at Sears that bites into rounded out heads, and turns it loose. They are like $25 for the set, but you'll always have em lying around for when you need em.

The ole' Dremel tool trick...get out the Dremel tool, insert your cutting wheel, and cut a slot into the rounded out screw, turn it out with a flathead screwdriver...in this case, be careful not to cut into the receiver.

The JB-Weld trick...go buy a cheap allen wrench to fit the screw, and a tube of JB weld. Mix the JB Weld up, and using a toothpick, fill up the rounded out screwhead...insert the allen wrench, and let it set overnight...the next day, you'll be able to turn the screw out, as the allen wrench will have bonded with the screw.
tippya5extreme View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filterdodging/Language 7/17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 8:43pm
vice grips?

tippya5extreme
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 9:18pm
couldnt you just take a small drill and drill through the screw?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 9:24pm
that would ruin your threads.    is the screw rounded and you stripped out and threads or is it flat and you stripped out the threads?

tippya5extreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintbusta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 12:56am
tiz flat
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 1:08am
EZ out things suck nuts. The cutting wheel wont work on that bolt in particular.

I would go with the JB weld one. Ive done it before, works like a charm.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 6:32am
ez outs usually work for me...
X
Chrisb319 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisb319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:02am
Go to your local Home Depo and see what they can do with it, I had a problem where I could not get the screw out and the guy there got it out for me, no charge. If I went to a PB Store I would be broke right now.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

EZ out things suck nuts. The cutting wheel wont work on that bolt in particular.I would go with the JB weld one. Ive done it before, works like a charm.

I use EZ outs all the time at work. I have no trouble with them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 9:10am
i wouldn't take your gun into a hardware store

tippya5extreme
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

EZ out things suck nuts. The cutting wheel wont work on that bolt in particular.I would go with the JB weld one. Ive done it before, works like a charm.

I use EZ outs all the time at work. I have no trouble with them.

Maybe I just suck nuts, but I can never get one to work right.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by GI JOES SON GI JOES SON wrote:

couldn't you just take a small drill and drill through the screw?

Yes, the picture below advocates a left-handed bit, but a standard bit will work. Use a bit that is larger than the diameter of the screw shank. You are not trying to drill the screw out, just cut through to the point where the head comes off.  After removing the rest of the screws the shells can then be separated and the screw shank removed with a pair of Vise Grips. Or the screw and nut can be tapped out with a small hammer. Replacement Allen head screws are available from stores like Home Depot and Lowe's.

I replaced all my screws with standard Allen head  cap screws (I prefer stainless).  The standard heads are deeper really reducing the likelihood of stripping in the future. It is a 10-32 size screw.

But, the JB Weld method is easier.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 13 June 2006 at 3:10pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintbusta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 3:14pm
aight thanks for the help guys
BigRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 12:17am
drilling the head off is the easiest thing.  ive done it not just on my marker, but all te time at the shop where i work.
98 Custom - CP 12" barrel - Delrin Starfire bolt - Double Trig. - Drop Forward - Rocket Cock II - FieldStrip Thumbscrew Kit - Red Dot Elec. Pistol Scope - Butt Plate & combat strap w/ rear swivel
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:45am
MAKE RELAVANT TITLES!!!
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by RavenGuard RavenGuard wrote:

MAKE RELAVANT TITLES!!!

That would certainly be helpful, but people would rather be cute than to just give the subject in the title. It is really bad when I want to do a search on something I have seen before and the title has nothing to do with the subject...things are still search-able, but you have to search a word in the body of the post which returns about 4 times the number of posts than is really necessary.
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 5:47pm
Just to add what Bruce said, I would hold onto the short end of the allen wrench when tightening the bolts, that way you do not over torque them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic