Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WAS vs APE board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NETZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NETZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WAS vs APE board
    Posted: 05 June 2006 at 4:46am
I'm just wondering the difference between the 2.  Thanks
ollieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 10:13am
With the old board, you changed the settings by turning a screw in the grip.  The WAS board is changed using trigger pulls and blinking LEDs.  If I'm not mistaken the APE board maxed out at 15 BPS.  The WAS Board states it will do 17.  I put mine on full auto and emptied a full hopper in a heartbeat.  Now I didn't count them but it seemed to me I was shooting faster than that. 
Torquestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torquestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 3:01pm

The APE board is capped at 20.  The WAS board is capped at 25.  The cyclone will not reach either speed without chopping and/or skips.

Supposedly, a QEV will get you to 20.  It's said a QLoader will take you to 25.

In order to change firing modes on the WAS board, you have to press the power button while holding the trigger.  Then release the power button and then release the trigger.  Then pull the trigger to get to the firing mode selection.  Then pull the trigger for the number corresponding to the mode you want to be in.  Wait for the blinks to verify the correct mode.  Then press the power button to power it off (leaving program mode) and then power it back on again with the button.

The APE Rampage board is defaulted to firing mode change.  Just press the button to change firing modes.  Anything more elaborate (dwell changed, RoF changes, etc...) requires going into the program mode.

The WAS board has an auto off after 10-15 minutes.  The APE board goes to "sleep" after a trigger pull and wakes up when you pull the trigger.  When I had the WAS and was waiting for teams to get into position, I had the darn thing turn off on me before the game started!  I had to find a small stick on the ground to poke the power button to turn it back on.  The APE Rampage board won't do that.

Another thing people don't like too much about the WAS board is it doesn't have a true full auto mode.  It has a tourney-mode full auto which goes full auto after 3 single shot trigger pulls.  The APE Rampage board has true full auto. 

Also, if you're so inclined, the APE board has an open pair of holes on their board to solder your own external firing mode change momentary switch.

I had the WAS electronics and had no end of issues with odd rapid firing for no reason and other trouble.  I got the Rampage board and havn't had a single problem with it.  Others seem to like their WAS board a lot.  So I guess it's really what features you want.

Playing woodsball, though, for me I couldn't handle the auto-off of the WAS board.  I could be sitting in a defensible bunker waiting for the attacking team to show up, only to line up a shot and fire and have nothing happen.  Then it dawns on me that it shut itself off and I have to scramble around for something to poke the hole to turn it back on... all while potentially taking fire.

You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 3:11pm
All you youngins ad your tricked out e-grips.

Stock boards fine for me.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
NETZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NETZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 5:18pm

Thanks for the info.  I bought the A-5 with the E-Grip and I'm just trying to learn which upgrade to do on the board.  This was a lot of help. 

I still have another question, with the current grip I have it has a volicity adjuster.  With the new boards is this feature no longer used?

Thanks

RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 5:42pm
wow... not one of you knows what you're talking about.

The WAS board has a maximum cap of 30bps and has 5 firing modes, none of which are full auto.  You cannot program the modes.

The APE board has a maximum cap of 25bps, and has 7 firing modes including full auto.  The modes are all individually programmable to your liking aswell.

torquestar is right about the buttons and crap...  except the q-loader will probably load closer to 30-35 bps.

AND there is no velocity adjuster in your grip, you are crazy :)

Edited by RavenGuard - 05 June 2006 at 5:46pm
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
Torquestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torquestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 7:45pm

Originally posted by RavenGuard RavenGuard wrote:

The APE board has a maximum cap of 25bps, and has 7 firing modes including full auto.  The modes are all individually programmable to your liking aswell.

Whoops!  I remembered they were 5 bps apart, but forgot where the caps were.  I should have remembered the APE was capped at 25, since they have a video showing it with the Qloader.  And the WAS board is 5 BPS higher cap then them.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever want a RoF that high just because it would be so darn expensive!  I think the APE comes set at 15 or so from the factory, and that's plenty for me.

RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Torquestar Torquestar wrote:

Originally posted by RavenGuard RavenGuard wrote:

Whoops!  I remembered they were 5 bps apart, but forgot where the caps were.  I should have remembered the APE was capped at 25, since they have a video showing it with the Qloader.  And the WAS board is 5 BPS higher cap then them.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever want a RoF that high just because it would be so darn expensive!  I think the APE comes set at 15 or so from the factory, and that's plenty for me.

yeah, it's 15 from the factory, because that's the normal legal limit.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
dbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2006 at 1:00am
get the ape board, battery lasts longer and all  you do is push the mode button to change the firing modes.
DKNewYork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKNewYork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2006 at 9:49pm
I got a R/T and would like to change to a E-grip.  I want the A.P.E Ramage board but does that mean I need to buy a E-grip w/o a board and install the A.P.E. board and take off the R/T altogether?
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2006 at 10:04pm
Yes, take out the R/T alltogether. No, buy the regular E-grip and then buy the APE baord for it.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic