Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 - Low Velocity when using HPA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ykwak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ykwak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 - Low Velocity when using HPA
    Posted: 21 May 2006 at 11:34pm
Hello all,

I have seen these threads before...but have never seen a good solution.

I have an A-5 and so do 2 other friends of mine. We have just converted from CO2 to HPA. We have 4 differnt HPA tanks. I actually have 2 - a 68 3000 Pure Energy preset at 850psi, and a Nitro Duck with adjustable reg. All of us are unable to get a velocity of over 250fps.

Note, we have NO problems on spyders, ions, or shockers when using all 4 of these tanks! We maintain all of our guns very well, and I myself own 2 spyders and an ion...and none have this problem. Also, co2 gives NO problems

Here is what we have all tried on all 3 different a-5's:

1) Velocity screw all the way out - No improvement
2) Clean and oiled (with light weight oil) - No improvement
3) Polished internals - 1 gun had an avg increase of 5fps. The other 2 guns
    had an avg increase of 3fps.
4) Maddmann spring kit - Red spring - about 4-5 fps improvement for all 3   
    guns
5) Trinity Spring Kit - hard spring - same as maddmann results
6) Different HPA tanks - No improvement
7) Adjusting output pressure b/t 700 and 900 psi - No improvement
8) BB in the end cap - No improvement

Basically, we have tried most everything that a normal person would have tried. And we cannot surpass an avg of 250fps on all 3 guns 

What else can i try? Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution that does NOT involve a Low Pressure Kit (which is very expensive) ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by ykwak - 22 May 2006 at 11:27am
Bango View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Rugged Individualist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 11:41pm
Hmm, are you using a regulator? You might need to adjust the pressure on it.
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 11:20am
I think at this point you should give Tippmann a call and explain to them as you did here and then be specific on what you want them to do, for example the marker should be able to be adjusted to 325fps.For my two cents I think the valve spring needs to be replaced.
ykwak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ykwak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 11:24am
Thanks for the replies.

Bango, if you see my first post, you will see that i have tried outputs between 700 and 900 psi.

Cus98tom, this is happening on 3 different guns. All purchased within 1 year. I have heard this problem happening to many people. Also, a weak valve spring would normally mean a Leak due to a bad seal with the cup seal, OR a LOT of air getting through, and thus high velocities.

thanks for the info, but these will not solve the problem.

Anyone else have any ideas i could try?
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 6:03pm

you have tried all other options , The only one left is the valve, and or  spring , and I actually think its to strong (for AIR), A weaker spring will stay open longer, milliseconds but still longer, as we warm up (85-90deg in FL) Co2 has more energy than HPA that is gas coming out of the tank.

ykwak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ykwak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 10:45pm
so i am guessing not many of you are having these problems?

oh, and thanks for the tip cus98tom!
i just got off the phone with tippmann a couple hours ago and they are going to send me a new valve and powertube to try on one of the guns to see if it helps.

I dont know where to find a weaker valve spring since i only see sear, hammer, and trigger springs as aftermarket.

if Anyone has had this problem before...please tell me your solution.

thanks!
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 6:17pm
I was think just a replacement from Tippmann , Springs are made by the "boat load" and maybe you have one out of tolerance.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 8:48pm
Tippmann won't send you replacement valve springs, I already tried.
old fart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old fart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 9:18pm
it sounds like you have a valve spring from a low psi kit, If you bought the marker used the previos owner may have had a lp kit on the gun then converted back and forgot to change the valve
darkmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2006 at 2:08pm
I had the same problem and i shipped my a-5 back to tippmann twice from canada and they still didnt fix it so i just asked for a new marker and they replaced it.
Dopa mi la tempesta
(After me, The storm)
NeXuS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeXuS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 10:33am
I have the same problem in my A-5 and I have done the exact same fixes that you had done.  Nothing I have found will get this gun over 250.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 12:09pm

Call Tippmann and ask for a new valve. Your valve spring is most likley out of tolerance.

Hybrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 7:59pm

has anyone ever taken apart their cyclone feed system on their a5 to clean it? i took the bottom cover off of it and a little metal pin, bent at both ends came out... tippmannparts.com calls it the "feeder ratchet spring", but i have no idea where to put it back in..

i really wanna get it back together to play this coming weekend, any thoughts?

Lonnie 942 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonnie 942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 8:44pm
i had the exact same problem about 2 weeks ago i called tippmann and they suggested that i call the maker of my hpa tank which was pure energy and have them send me a shim to bump up the output pressure to about 900 i put in the shim and my A-5 shoots about 290-295 i also got a spring kit from trinity and put in the red one
A-5 richoet hopper apex barrell combat stock e-grip tactical sling
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic