Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Son and I are new to paintball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CardiacKid74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CardiacKid74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Son and I are new to paintball
    Posted: 15 May 2006 at 2:45pm

My son has already been messing with paintball stuff at his dads house (I am his stepdad). He has shown a lot of interest in it and I would like to get involved with him. His dad has a 98 custom so he is familiar with its operation. His birthday is coming up and I bought him the camo custom 98 powerpack with harness, 4 pods, 20oz tank. I see that some people say to upgrade the barrel right away. What do you all think? Also what else needs to be upgraded along with suggested brands. What make of paintballs are better. Basically I would like to know the works..haha

On to my second question. What is a good start gun for me. I have never shot one and dont know what is good/not good for a starter. I hunt and do a lot of target shooting but never messed with a painball gun. I dont want to ask him so I dont blow the suprise. Should I also go with a 98? We will probably go to local ranges one inside a building basement and the other is outdoors in the woods. (Cleveland area) Dose anyone know of good spots in this area?

Edited by CardiacKid74 - 15 May 2006 at 2:47pm
Thank God for my family and friends
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 2:57pm
Welcome to the forums and to the sport!

It is typically recommended that one replace the barrel... but for now, I would recommend not rushing into things, like too many upgrades. A lot of people will recommend a lot of different thing... and at this time, there's really no telling whether any of those will do your stepson or yourself any good.
If you feel the need to get the upgraded barrel thing out of the way already, don't feel pressured to spend too much money. At around $50, the Lapco Bigshot is a top contender. And at around $40, the J&J Ceramic is also an excellent choice. 12" length is ideal, but anything in the 10-14" range will be fine. Anything longer is not necessarily "better".

For familiarity, getting yourself a 98 as well would be my choice. If available, and if the price isn't too much higher, a Tippmann Custom Pro would be my recommendation. It's essentially a 98, but the stock barrel that comes with it is of decent enough quality where it does not warrant replacement.

Paint will vary depending on what stores you have that sell it, and how fresh it is.   Brands and titles vary, and I can't give any specific recommendations as I've fallen behind in regards to keeping up with the latest. But generally speaking, it's more important to get fresh paint, and not paint that has been sitting on the store shelf for months (or in the case of larger "Mart" type stores... sitting in a warehouse for Lord knows how long).
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:09pm
shorty nailed it.

if you get a custom pro, there is no need to replace the barrel.  even with a regular 98... i'd suggest playing a bit first.  if you want to get a new barrel right away i suggest a Custom Products barrel.  the one piece barrels are right around the price of the lapco and J&J brands, but it's better than the J&J and a bit quieter than the bigshot.  I have shot all 3 types and I prefer the Custom Products. 

With paint, try to stay away from Walmart stuff.  Most fields require that you use thier field paint anyway.  If the fields are 'bring your own paint' i suggest going to a paintball shop and asking them.  Tell them where you're playing, what gun you shoot and what not and they will be able to suggest a good paint for what you're going to use it for.  The more expensive a paint gets, generally, the better quality.  This usually means a more brittle shell so that it breaks on the target, and a thicker fill of paint so it's more visible.  But with a tippmann, you don't necessarily want a real brittle shell because they aren't very gentle on paint.  Some names that i've had good luck with are blaze, any mid-grade nelsplat.  and i've actually had very good luck with diablo rec-sport.  it's a cheaper paint, but it flys pretty well out of everything i've shot with it.  only downside is that the shell is a really ugly green color...

and to what gun to get... i'd go with the same one you got your step son... that way he won't hate you for getting a bigger and better gun

any other questions just ask
PaintballPIMPIN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
STRIKE 1 - NO SELLING ON THE FORUM 3/31

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballPIMPIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:17pm
i would say u the same thing as him so he doesnt feel like he left out on ups and so he doesnt feel like he has to upgrade to keep up,  i would sugjest buying the same thing. my dad doesnt ball with me, i wish he would be like u on that topic.
paintballwar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:33pm
ya i would go with a m98!! that is wut im goin with!! for balls i like evil!! dont know how well they shoot but i like them!! welcome to the forum and the sport!! have fun!!
warning!!! dont hit the noob!! noob will explode when hit with paintballs!! warning!!!
Sarkath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarkath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:41pm
Like i have prolly stated on this thread before, my dad and i are painting my ION, and he is always asking me questions about paintball, showing intrest.  So for father's day i think i have decided to splurge and get a custom pro with an egrip reinstalled, a gun i was looking at for myself.  But hopefully hewill accept it and play with it when he has the time.  So this sport of paintball, is like any other sport that my dad coached me in, this time the tables are turned!   But if i were in you shoes, I would do what everyone else is saying to do.
1. he won't hate you for trying to get him something he shows intrest.
2. the worst he'll do is take it back and get an A5 or some other gun.
3. dont feel bad if he does take it back.
4. depending on his age he might want a different gun than you, but you cant tell until he sees it and you tell him that you got the same thing.
Wow, this post is pretty much pointless, sorry for making you guys read this.  But what i was trying to say: Spend time with your son, if you're a dad, and vica versa, and help them to be better person and teach them.  14 years of my life i only kn ew my dad as coach, but now that im 16 and joined the fire dept. we are closer than ever with all the time we spend together now. DON'T MISS THAT OPPORTUNITY!
And finally, don't cry if he beats your butt everytime!
nightfox9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightfox9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:49pm
Welcome to the sport m8.

Enjoy!

-Tippmann 98 Custom
-20" J&J Ceramic Barrel
-Rocket Cock 2
-32 Degrees Remote Coil
-20oz Pure Energy Tank
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 4:00pm
hmm...

well first for a great marker i wuld recommened a tippmann custom pro..and once you get the hang of it u can start upgrading..such as a barrel, a hopper, a trigger (a double trigger and/or response trigger e-trigger), center feed, drop foward, HPA (High Pressure Air)...

and if u think ur son might get jealous...just pull a quick switch before he unwraps his present

for great paint that isnt expensive there are Monsterballs (just make sure u check the case and switch out the bags with broken balls), Scorch, Draxxus Midnight, and Xball bronze..there are others but those are paintballs that i have had experience with and enjoyed..
ardyandkari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ardyandkari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 4:33pm

i use monster balls (got them at walmart for $30 a case(2000))

good paint, cheap, i have shot over 2000 rounds and have had only one ball break in the barrel...have had problems with scorch...havent tried any other paint...too cheap.

If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward.
mess cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mess cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 4:58pm

for the kid i would get him a smart parts barrel

for you get an A5 they work well  

RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by ardyandkari ardyandkari wrote:

good paint, cheap, i have shot over 2000 rounds and have had only one ball break in the barrel...have had problems with scorch...havent tried any other paint...too cheap.

yeah... don't get scorch...  I kid you not, every single shot broke in-barrel.  You could watch the paintball's two halves and a cloud of paint.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 5:39pm

Welcome to the sport... as a step-dad who played ALOT with his stepson since he was 12 (he is now 16), I can honestly say that Paintball is a great way to bring the 2 of you closer.

Shorty and ProCarbine nailed the answer as usual, so I will just stick with the "Welcome!"

"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by RavenGuard RavenGuard wrote:

Originally posted by ardyandkari ardyandkari wrote:

yeah... don't get scorch... I kid you not, every single shot broke in-barrel. You could watch the paintball's two halves and a cloud of paint.

wow...i use scorch all the time and it shoots arrows out of my Lapco and ive gone through 2 cases so far (3000) w.o a break
Gropo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gropo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 6:41pm
    Welcome aboard CardiacKid74!

And good for you. You stepson is a lucky fellow indeed.

As for equipment, I say you should get the same gun you bought for him. It is a fine paintball marker for woodball, and will give you guys something in common on the field (besides playing the sport) . This way you can compare notes on what you can and cannot do with the stock markers. Many players also do their own gun maintenance, and if you choose to do so you will be able to help each other out.

I also suggest that you do play with the stock gun for awhile before getting any upgrades. It is pretty fine right out of the box. Then do research on any upgrade you might want. This forum will provide alot of usefull info

Enjoy!

Edited by Gropo - 15 May 2006 at 6:43pm
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 8:00pm

im also in the cleveland area- north royalton

WOOT!! go cavs

id say get a 98, same as your son.  That way, both of you will know how to operate and clean the 98 together.  Even though they arent hard

and for paint and supplies i reccomend going to Paintball Ohio in parma(you said cleveland area so).  They give you a book of $300 in coupons if you buy a gun from them.  They have pretty cheap paint.  And MC Sports in cleveland have monster balls for $25 usually every week

and stay away from **edited**s Sporting Goods paint, very lumpy and oily

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 8:21pm

Welcome CardiacKid !

The 98 is a great beginners marker , and its upgradeable into a servicable speedball or woodsball marker as your tastes and pocketbook  dictate !

Shorty and Procarbine hit it on the head tho,,,, keep it simple for a while (The barrel upgrade isnt a bad idea , the stock units can leave you a bit unimpressed ) .

It would be my recommendation to get the 98 custom , because it is a simple rugged marker that's entirely mechanical and quite reliable . One caveat tho,,, the trigger pull is heavy , around 3+ pounds , if you think that might bother you after shooting over 500 rounds , then I might consider the procustom , I think Its electronic trigger .

As far as what paint is better to shoot thru the marker , I can tell you to research Paint to bore match . Marker barrels and paint are manufactured in differing sizes (storage conditions can also affect paint diameter) . The stock Tippmann barrel comes out to be around .691" bore , you wont break much paint with it , but if you are shooting small diameter paint +/- .670" , you wont get very good accuracy either . To determine what paint is a "Proper" fit for whatever barrel you get , it should "Hang up" about 1" into the breech , and you should be able to blow it out the end of the barrel with a puff of breath , anything much tighter , you risk breakage ,,, looser , you lose what accuracy you might get . With good paint, and a good paint to bore match you can expect consistent placement of the paintballs out to about 75-100 feet (Consistent being within a 1 foot circle most of the time )

Congratulations on finding a way to spend some quality time with your stepson ! this sport can teach you both a lot about friendship and working together . There are a lot of good people here in the forums willing to share their experience with you .

Have fun and Be Safe !

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
CardiacKid74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CardiacKid74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 8:25am

Thanks for everyones help. I will have to check out the local store and see whats around the area.

GO CAVS MEANMAN tied it up 2-2 R Wallace is now going to be know has mighty mouth and the detroit witnesses will go down like washington.....i hope...hahah

Thank God for my family and friends
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 11:11am
one big thing to remember. paintball guns are not nearly as accurate as real guns. i have had sevral people millatary and civilan (hunter/shooters) shoot me in the back/head because they were trying to give me "cover fire" and a ball curved. ive done the same once or twice with REALY bad paint. just shoot some at the target range so you dont end up peppering your own team.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic