Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A contraversial question..

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Phantasm View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 18 November 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 122
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A contraversial question..
    Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:04pm
This will probably spark an interesting debate... I've always wondered, why in the US is Marijuana illegal yet Alcohol and Tobacco are legal? Does not make much sense to me, maybe someone could try to clarify that for me...
Early bird gets the worm, second mouse gets the cheese.
Back to Top
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Joined: 12 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 12751
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:05pm
because marijuana is obviously a gateway drug... and anyone who smokes it will soon turn to crack and heroin and speed... 
Back to Top
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Fire in the disco

Joined: 12 March 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Status: Offline
Points: 14179
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:06pm
do a search, it's been debated too many times.

oh, and it's *controversial
Back to Top
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Joined: 11 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6473
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:11pm
One interesting article I read from some crazy conspiracy theory website suggests that marijuana was illegalized in the early 1930s after lobbying from DuPont, because hemp is a popular material for ropes and textiles, and DuPont was just beginning the maufacturing of synthethic materials like nylon and polyester to replace hemp based products.
Back to Top
dmp4892. View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
guested

Joined: 21 January 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 774
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmp4892. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:18pm
I heard it was because when it was legal in the 1930's, tobacco companies were losing huge profits.
Back to Top
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 9:48pm
Marijuana > Alcohol.
Back to Top
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Joined: 30 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6120
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:00pm
Counterquestion.

Why are tobacco and alcohol legal?

Back to Top
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Outranked by guitarguy?

Joined: 11 September 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 11227
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:05pm
The main reason why (IMO) why Marajuania is illegal is that it cannot be regulated like Tobacco and Achohol can. If they could find a way to make it so it was just grown on farms, and you pay about a 50% tax on it, it would be legal.
Back to Top
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Joined: 11 March 2004
Location: Turkey
Status: Offline
Points: 8102
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:19pm
Too much money would go to the maker of Doritos.
Back to Top
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Joined: 08 March 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4924
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 1:55am
because many of the people who founded and governed our country in the beginning were tobacco farmers.  they kept it legal, then it became an even bigger industry, then people learned what it does to you, and by then it was too big of a corporation to simply outlaw, too many jobs depended on it.  also, its not very mind altering.  marijuana...wasnt.  and alcohol has been a huge part of cultures for like...ever.
Back to Top
nouseforaname View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
nouseforatitleeither

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: Rwanda
Status: Offline
Points: 2823
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nouseforaname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 3:15am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

because marijuana is obviously a gateway drug... and anyone who smokes it will soon turn to crack and heroin and speed...


durhey ... pcf is right, juana leads to deviant behavior?
Back to Top
druidsdecendant View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Language 9/3

Joined: 21 July 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 260
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druidsdecendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 6:03am

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Counterquestion.

Why are tobacco and alcohol legal?

Counter-Counterquestion.

When something is illegal, why do people start it, continue to embrace or embellish it and even glorify the act?

68 Classic Mag; PMI .68 Magnum; Maxed Stage5 Ion; M98 Scenario creation in the works; - You EPunks are all alike-all mouth until you reach the tailgate section of the field...then you "were j/j"
Back to Top
phillll227 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 27 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1056
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillll227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Counterquestion.Why are tobacco and alcohol legal?


Alcohol: Look what happened last time they tried to outlaw it

Tobacco: $$$



Back to Top
PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Tons of em’

Joined: 14 July 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9800
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlentifulBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Counterquestion.

Why are tobacco and alcohol legal?


Because getting drunk and smoking cigars owns your face.

sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
Back to Top
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Joined: 08 September 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 10707
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 3:47pm
whats the betting on time till locked?
Back to Top
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Joined: 08 September 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 10707
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

One interesting article I read from some crazy conspiracy theory website suggests that marijuana was illegalized in the early 1930s after lobbying from DuPont, because hemp is a popular material for ropes and textiles, and DuPont was just beginning the maufacturing of synthethic materials like nylon and polyester to replace hemp based products.

Actually, it was because of pressure from Cotton producers.
Back to Top
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Joined: 08 March 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4924
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 4:04pm
umm, hemp stuff is legal
Back to Top
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Funny/Ironic Title

Joined: 25 January 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 6470
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by druidsdecendant druidsdecendant wrote:

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Counterquestion.

Why are tobacco and alcohol legal?

Counter-Counterquestion.

When something is illegal, why do people start it, continue to embrace or embellish it and even glorify the act?

Just because something is illegal doesn't make it wrong. Mostly in the case of marijuana at least.
I need a new Sig...
Back to Top
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Unit

Joined: 24 November 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4240
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 4:18pm
Marijuana won't be legal for at least 20 years.

Back to Top
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Joined: 10 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7908
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:


Originally posted by druidsdecendant druidsdecendant wrote:

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Counterquestion.Why are tobacco and alcohol legal?


Counter-Counterquestion.


When something is illegal, why do people start it, continue to embrace†or embellish it†and even glorify the act?

Just because something is illegal doesn't make it wrong. Mostly in the case of marijuana at least.


But it also doesnt make it right.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.203 seconds.